Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my new Model 3 last Friday (LOVE it, I must say). Not spending 8k for FSD, but when I saw this pop up, and had a 150 mile trip today, I decided to try it. The auto lane change is really great- certainly not "essential," but it just makes the whole driving experience with the care much smoother. That said, I had some issues, and if anyone has thoughts on this, would be much appreciated:

- I see "Autopilot cameras unavailable" even though auto drive and auto change lane work.
- When I tap on Navigate on Autopilot, I see "Navigate on autopilot currently unavailable."
- It is NOT automatically changing lanes when it slows down behind a car in front (and plenty of room on right). I have to turn on left turn signal, and then it moves right over. I even tried it with auto lane change automatic, but still no go.
- It is also not automatically getting off at the highway exit.

I think all the settings are correct, but the above not working. I tried reset (brake/both scroll wheels), but screen came right back up with Autopilot cameras unavailable (and a message that it may restore at next drive, but that has not happened).

Thanks-

Got my new Model 3 last Friday (LOVE it, I must say). Not spending 8k for FSD, but when I saw this pop up, and had a 150 mile trip today, I decided to try it. The auto lane change is really great- certainly not "essential," but it just makes the whole driving experience with the care much smoother. That said, I had some issues, and if anyone has thoughts on this, would be much appreciated:

- I see "Autopilot cameras unavailable" even though auto drive and auto change lane work.
- When I tap on Navigate on Autopilot, I see "Navigate on autopilot currently unavailable."
- It is NOT automatically changing lanes when it slows down behind a car in front (and plenty of room on right). I have to turn on left turn signal, and then it moves right over. I even tried it with auto lane change automatic, but still no go.

I think all the settings are correct, but the above not working. I tried reset (brake/both scroll wheels), but screen came right back up with Autopilot cameras unavailable (and a message that it may restore at next drive, but that has not happened).

Thanks-
It might be worthwhile to reset the camera calibration but this will disable autopilot until it finishes recalibrating which might take up to 100 miles although it usually finishes in < 30

Funny about "drunken sailor". Evidently a lot of them on the road in front and to the sides of me. People driving manually don't center in their lanes worth a blapp. Musk was right when he said you can spot a car in autopilot by the way it centers. My Nicki's no sailor. When I turn off NOA, that's when it's actually worse, as evidenced by MY lane departure warning (surprise!) kicking in now and then, LOL.
I believe most people who make the drunken sailor comment experience it when they are in a lane that merges with another. Basically, you are suddenly on the right side of a double-wide line and AP often doesn't handle it well.

Wonder why only some folks are getting an email regarding the EAP until Sep 30th. Nothing “official” out there or on the Tesla website, just the same screenshot. Seems odd.
Its a giant conspiracy

I wonder if the Navigate on Autopilot is tied somehow to Tesla servers? Could be a reason that it’s not working. Just a thought given the massive outage that is happening now.
See - its a conspiracy!

Tin Foil Hat.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: RareJ
...and I assume same for FSD?

Correct

Thanks-

See the post below from Ravire. Your car is probably still calibrating, but you now have the option to reset the cameras. If you are driving and see a steering wheel with a progress bar to the left of your car icon, the cameras are still calibrating.

It might be worthwhile to reset the camera calibration but this will disable autopilot until it finishes recalibrating which might take up to 100 miles although it usually finishes in < 30

EAP will not have surface street navigation. FYI for those who are reading.

I did another NoA trip today. Bay Area South bay to SF to Walnut Creek down to Dublin. NoA did all the highway changes for me. Even the I-580 to CA-24 that i was scared of, did it fine this time vs last time. The NoA disengages in tunnels, which is fine. I was imaging what would happen for those who has merging/diverging freeway in tunnels. Does NoA just not function there due to GPS thing?

NoA also disengaged right at the toll both - which was great because I wouldn't trust this on toll both flying by at 35-40mph. I dont even trust MOST drivers out there.

I used auto-lane change or passing lane function a lot today. It felt very safe tbh. I always check my blind spots before I confirm anyways. I even tested it once when there's a car passing by me, and the software recognized it and showed red lane line to denote it is unsafe to change lanes. I agree with @Fernand , maybe a placebo effect, but TACC while on NoA seems smoother than when it just keeps between the lines. I have more confidence in it right now on EAP than AP.

Right now, I still think $4000 is a lot of money. I could've bought 9 shares of $TSLA today with that. But I honestly do not think the subscription model will make these full price systems any cheaper. I'm gonna bet they will price it so you have to either do 1 year at time for $100-150/mo, or 6mo at $150-200/mo. No way will tesla allow such a loophole subscription plan to earn less than a full fledged $8k FSD or $4k EAP.

I hear y'all on that FSD goes with account, not car, thing. I totally want it that way. Like a software license. I don't think it will happen. Who knows, one can only hope. My refund period is over. I've bitten the $4000 cake and now I have to amortize it in my budget. this will push me to keep the car an extra year extending from my planned 15 years to 16 years($4k per year based on cash paid to acquire, not operating cost or what not($60k + $4.3k EAP after tax minus $1875 fed tax credit).

Wait you are planning on keeping your 3 for 16 years? That's sounds like one of those great on paper and horrible in practice ideas. Are you planning a new battery somewhere in there?

I tried my app this morning to possibly get a refund but I couldn't get on I guess because the server was down at the time. By the time it came back up I was past my 48-hr. window. I was going back and forth as to whether I should keep it or not but the circumstances made the decision for me. I don't feel strongly enough about it to complain so it looks like it's mine.

Reactions: Mattopotamus
For people trying EAP and having anomalies, do a screen computer reset and a full power off reboot. If the cameras are calibrating, give them time. They say driving on a straight well marked road does it best.

Do a pre-flight check. FWIW I always start the day's drive that way, and I have very few issues. Wash/wipe your windshield and pillar camera areas. Go around the car with a microfiber cloth and gently wipe the side Repeater and Rear Cameras without gouging into the lens. Make sure there's no crud on any of the IR sensors or the front radar area.

Make sure you understand and check ALL the Driving and Navigate on Autopilot (Beta) options. Set Speed Limit Assist to Display, Relative, Offset minus 5 miles. Set Lane Change initially to MILD. Start out with Lane Change confirmation required (you'll turn if off as you learn to trust it). Probably set Acceleration to Chill initially, and Regen to Low to smooth out accelerations and decelerations. Get used to dynamically tweaking speed and following distance with the scroll wheel. Always keep your right hand able to steer and to tap up to drop AS/AP if anything looks wonky. Find a comfy hold to easily respond to Blue Attention Nags. The system is there to assist you, most of the time, but NOT all the time, and there's nothing to prove. Don't get overconfident or freak out. Don't make it all or nothing, you'll ease your way into comfortable cooperation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nels
Wait you are planning on keeping your 3 for 16 years? That's sounds like one of those great on paper and horrible in practice ideas. Are you planning a new battery somewhere in there?
Drive it til battery can't support my commute. Why not tbh? Let's say at 16years from now, I have 50-60% battery capacity. I can still make my commute without daily charging. Or give the car to my kids are that point.

Can you present a few bullet points to your suggestion?