Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is this issue still a thing? it hasnt been resolved by Tesla?
It is unknown how many cars have actual problems vs. some amount of human population being sensitive due to physical reasons etc.

That type of data would be needed for there to be an “issue to resolve”.

I know 12 people who received model y in 2022 personally. Some had long range some performance. None have had ear pressure issues. None thought the car was louder than expected. 🤷‍♂️

When I first got my model Y performance, was was concerned about how loud it was (booming). I thought my ears felt like they had to pop often & felt as if they were under pressure even when traveling on flat roads. My car’s lift gate / trunk made lots of sound like a snare drum when I went over bumps. My lift gate noise was corrected. Afterwards, My ears no longer feel under pressure when traveling along flat routes. The boominess decreased a lot…or did I get accustomed to it? I’ll tell you this. The model y is a lot quieter than our 2010 Prius & 2012 Volt. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
It is noticeable very quickly. My ear/head pressure issues were solved by Tesla after they sent my car to body shop to fix my door & trunk/lift gate gaps. They also readjusted the rubber stoppers on lift gate. Just drive the car a few hours after getting it. Don’t worry about the rumored 100 miles to report issues. I reported my door gaps, trunk gaps, and trunk that made banging sounds with 300 miles on odometer.
My 2022 model y performance boominess drastically reduced around 5,000 miles. Perhaps tires and suspension needed to be broken in. Occasionally older rough asphalt roads with large gravel are noisey but that is normal considering I have MYP with 21” low profile tires currently. The roads in the area of Los Angeles where I live are pretty good (I know a shock) and tend not to use large pieces of gravel.

I have 5600 miles and notice no change. Ugh.

On the other hand, those who have blocked off the rear trunk completely have noticed an improvement immediately.
What do you mean?

Maybe some people don't understand how the hatch stops work. I personally didn't understand for over a year. The inner hatch stops (maybe the outer ones too, can't remember now) are two interlocking pieces that both rotate. You're supposed to screw the outer part up until it's in contact with the hatch while making sure the inner part is tight against the lower body of the vehicle. That way, the hatch stop stabilizes the hatch when it is closed. Otherwise, the seal between the hatch and the vehicle body may break when going over bumps.

Another possibility is that the hatch is so misaligned that no amount of adjusting the stops will seal the hatch against the vehicle body. But a misaligned hatch may not be obvious to the vehicle owner.

Here you go! Firstly, guys, please be gentle---- this is my first YouTube video lol. And it was a lot more difficult than I expected to make one!

I should clarify that this doesn't contain any NEW information that isn't already on this forum. But it's a good summary of every effective noise reduction method discussed here.

...and that image of Elon in the thumbnail, I made with Stable Diffusion's AI image generator LOL.
Great video. Thanks for the shout out on the rigid stops. I put butyl and foam in the quarters before, except I didn't remove the subwoofer, nor put the butyl on top of the wheel well since there was foam from Tesla there already.

Since you said putting butyl under the OEM foam made the most impact, I went ahead and did this today... wow. The reduction in road noise is VERY noticeable! I don't have a great before and after, here is a before measurement on a different road at 55 MPH and an after at 70 MPH. The tire noise, which tends to be higher pitch, is way down. Thanks again for the video!

Area behind the subwoofer:
20220909_105444.jpg

Before: (Pay attention to the peak red line, not the yellow)
Screenshot_20220427-092948_Spectroid.jpg

After: (Pay attention to the peak red line, not the yellow)
Screenshot_20220909-153133_Spectroid.jpg

Great video. Thanks for the shout out on the rigid stops. I put butyl and foam in the quarters before, except I didn't remove the subwoofer, nor put the butyl on top of the wheel well since there was foam from Tesla there already.

Since you said putting butyl under the OEM foam made the most impact, I went ahead and did this today... wow. The reduction in road noise is VERY noticeable! I don't have a great before and after, here is a before measurement on a different road at 55 MPH and an after at 70 MPH. The tire noise, which tends to be higher pitch, is way down. Thanks again for the video!

Area behind the subwoofer:
View attachment 850916
Before: (Pay attention to the peak red line, not the yellow)
View attachment 850920
After: (Pay attention to the peak red line, not the yellow)
View attachment 850919
Can you do a video on how to install the noise reduction stuff?

I forget who it was but someone who is a musician on this forum had the same issue and stuffed a duvet or pillows or something to block off the view from the rear seats so the trunk was completely blocked off and said they noticed a big improvement right away.
Hey @ilovecoffee did you install the sound deadening stuff on both rear wheel wells or just the driver side? Anywhere else? Do you recommend 3 layers like you said in your video or should we do more/less? I just bought the sound deadner and roller off amazon and it should be here tomorrow so I'm excited to see how much of a difference this makes.

Can you do a video on how to install the noise reduction stuff?
I've already done the install and didn't record the install. Its simple though.
- Cut the butyl to fit one piece at a time.
- Don't worry about missing small areas.
- Peel off the paper and stick on.
- For the wheel wells, there is a machine screw where a cable holder was attached. Press that through the butyl so you can shove tha cable holder back on.
- Press on the butyl with the roller.
- Use the roller handle or your fingers to press the areas he roller cannot reach. (Wear gloves or be real careful, the edges of the foil can cut you.)
- Cut foam, peel the paper, and stick to the butyl. I didn't put foam under the wheel well foam, just the rest of the cavity.
- Don't put foam where the subwoofer mounts - there's not enough room.

Hmm, I put butyl under the OEM foam and noticed no difference in the boominess. (I put one layer. I know ilovecoffee advocates 3, but I don't see how it will fit.) You are saying you noticed a difference in road noise, which I never had a problem with. See any difference in the boom?

Hmm, I put butyl under the OEM foam and noticed no difference in the boominess. (I put one layer. I know ilovecoffee advocates 3, but I don't see how it will fit.) You are saying you noticed a difference in road noise, which I never had a problem with. See any difference in the boom?
Not for boominess, the difference was tire / road noise. I completely fixed my boominess with rigid stops.

I didn't really notice the road noise until I fixed the boominess. It's funny how you eliminate one noise and then notice another.

• Informative
Reactions: JonB65 and Noflash
BTW, if you look at my spectral outputs above, you'll see there is no 41 Hz spike anymore (red line are the overall peaks). Less than $5 and a bit of time (not counting the many hours figuring out the root cause) increased my enjoyment of my car so much. I think moving to the 255/50r19 Quatrac pros reduced the other low frequency rumbles.

BTW, if you look at my spectral outputs above, you'll see there is no 41 Hz spike anymore (red line are the overall peaks). Less than $5 and a bit of time (not counting the many hours figuring out the root cause) increased my enjoyment of my car so much.

Happy for you, but my rigid stops didn't do anything.