Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Up to you if you want to try it first before service or after, but I do think it's worth a shot. Generally the bigger the better until you start to have gap issues (I mean water penetration, not visual gap issues, as that is subjective and IMHO comes with the territory of having this issue eliminated).
I'll try that tomorrow, nothing to lose at this point. Something is really weird with my hatch, in order for the left stop to pass the paper test I have to pull it out so far the fit is at least 1/4" misaligned. And even then there is a ton of play in it.

I think any will do, and certainly you could fill the space with almost anything and get a real improvement, but nothing is likely to beat a sound blanket. That said it's kind of a lot of money for a heavy object that reduces the utility of your car, but if you're nuts like me I bought this one:

That + parcel shelf is really the only major gain to be had that I've found which doesn't require effort.
Can you share a link to the parcel shelf? I can only see one on Amazon and the images are pretty grainy.

Back on this topic…

I have followed @ilovecoffee tutorial - put the vinyl tubing (used silicone lubricant to push it in)..,

One of the hatch stops failed the paper test - others felt just right - so I added a felt pad and that seems to have fixed it.

I still hear the boominess when going over small bumps and the roll …

Any other pointers … thanks Guys !!!

Back on this topic…

I have followed @ilovecoffee tutorial - put the vinyl tubing (used silicone lubricant to push it in)..,

One of the hatch stops failed the paper test - others felt just right - so I added a felt pad and that seems to have fixed it.

I still hear the boominess when going over small bumps and the roll …

Any other pointers … thanks Guys !!!

To clarify, did you completely re-adjust all the stoppers after installing the vinyl tubing? After putting it in you have to completely re-calibrate them again as the closing height has changed.

I think any will do, and certainly you could fill the space with almost anything and get a real improvement, but nothing is likely to beat a sound blanket. That said it's kind of a lot of money for a heavy object that reduces the utility of your car, but if you're nuts like me I bought this one:

That + parcel shelf is really the only major gain to be had that I've found which doesn't require effort.
Put a spare blanket in the sub trunk and got about 80% improvement in low frequency noise. Also using the OEM parcel shelf. Makes my new MY much more pleasant to drive. Thanks for sharing this tip!

Last edited:
To clarify, did you completely re-adjust all the stoppers after installing the vinyl tubing? After putting it in you have to completely re-calibrate them again as the closing height has changed.
All 4 now have about equal stiffness when I pull the paper after closing. I should say that I did not adjust 3 of them since it seems to be pressing correctly. I also did not take a comparison paper test prior to the vinyl tube insert so I don’t know what it was like before.

@ilovecoffee - When you recalibrate, what should we aim for ? Thank you.

Put a spare blanket in the sub trunk and got about 80% improvement in low frequency noise. Also using the OEM parcel shelf. Makes my new MY much more pleasant to drive. Thanks for sharing this tip!
The blanket seems huge, but I guess folding it just makes it thicker and more effective. I suppose a smaller sized blanket would be less effective. So where do you put it? In the sub trunk? under the trunk floor? on top of the trunk floor? Does it go up the sides of the trunk or just keep it all flat?

Thanks

The blanket seems huge, but I guess folding it just makes it thicker and more effective. I suppose a smaller sized blanket would be less effective. So where do you put it? In the sub trunk? under the trunk floor? on top of the trunk floor? Does it go up the sides of the trunk or just keep it all flat?

Thanks
I used a spare queen size mid-weight blanket with a quilted cotton outside and fiber fill. Just folded and laid it to cover the bottom of the sub trunk. This worked well for attenuating the low frequency rumble, but it is not a perfect long-term solution because it reduces cargo space.

This is a new MY, and I noted a misaligned tailgate when I picked up the car last week. Took it for service this week and they did something to improve the tailgate alignment, but it is still off. Complained and they said it was within spec. Escalated my complaint to the General Manager, asking for warranty service at a body shop, and awaiting a response.

I just got back from the service center in Arlington, VA. I was pleasantly surprised when the manager immediately acknowledged the booming noise and asked me if it sounds like a helicopter and if it's causing ear pressure. He also said "I can already see by looking at the roof gap your hatch needs to be at least 1/4" closer to the body." He ordered a refitting and gave me a loaner. Fingers crossed.

I just got back from the service center in Arlington, VA. I was pleasantly surprised when the manager immediately acknowledged the booming noise and asked me if it sounds like a helicopter and if it's causing ear pressure. He also said "I can already see by looking at the roof gap your hatch needs to be at least 1/4" closer to the body." He ordered a refitting and gave me a loaner. Fingers crossed.
Good luck - did you take any pic ? When you say closer to the body - was it obvious to you before you went in… and is it vertical alignment or horizontally it’s off - mine - there is a larger gap on the back (noticeably) of the glass roof than the front

Good luck - did you take any pic ? When you say closer to the body - was it obvious to you before you went in… and is it vertical alignment or horizontally it’s off - mine - there is a larger gap on the back (noticeably) of the glass roof than the front
Sorry, forgot to take a pic :(
It was obvious the left side of the hatch was misaligned but not the gap between the hatch and glass roof pane, which to me seemed on par with the other gaps on this car, maybe 10cm or so. One of the techs also said the bottom of the hatch sticks out too far and shouldn't even be flush but further in than the edge of the bumper. So the hatch needs to move forward longitudinally and the left side probably more so.

Update: I woke up today to a $828 estimate to replace the rear tires as one of the techs "said they may be causing the noise". Clearly they didn't ask the shop manager. I replied that I'm not paying for tires and if they have to check a box I will drop off a spare set which they agreed to. I was going to sell them after stepping down to 18" once this is resolved. FYI, the coordinators don't know much because as soon as the tech found out I'm not keeping these tires, he immediately said he could have used a set of loaners to get past this check...

Last edited:
Would you mind posting a service number or anything that another tech may be able to look up if I were take mine in? I feel like I'm gonna get major eye rolls if I ask them about the booming.

I just got some mover's blankets from harbor freight for $5 each and put them in the subtrunk and side pockets in the rear.
Those have made a noticeable improvement.
Moving blankets seem like the best option for sound absorption, no? @tangible1, your 3 blanket solution sounds interesting...care to share a photo?

@tm3lrawd , at an 80% reduction claim, I'd love a photo of your solution too!

Reactions: Noflash
Moving blankets seem like the best option for sound absorption, no? @tangible1, your 3 blanket solution sounds interesting...care to share a photo?

nothing to see, just black (one side) and silver (the other side) moving blankets laying in the subtrunk and folded into the side storage pockets.
harbor freight website Moving Blankets - Harbor Freight Tools

I am away from my car for a few days so I can't share a photo now.
After more driving on some rough roads, I will say the low frequency noise improvement from a single blanket in the sub trunk is more like 50%, not 80%. Still needs improvement.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
What seems to be the explanation for the noise improvement with sound/moving blankets?
So far the consensus was that the noise/booming was the result of the hatch moving and creating air movement but I'm bot sure how sound blankets can address that.