Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my perspective as a new owner this took longer than it should have... it's end of October now, and these take several months to get online [..]

The site can be built in two to three weeks, and online pretty quickly afterward depending on how long it takes the utility to deliver the transformer and how long it takes Tesla to certify the site. Tesla isn't lying when they say " Once construction begins, the site typically takes 4-6 weeks to complete."

Kingston had an exceptional delay. Most sites do not.

If construction really is starting soon, then the site might even be open in November.

Visited Port Hope yesterday, lovely town with only 1 place the SC could possibly go IMHO -- Toronto Rd. exit, 1 block south (very convenient). There's a grocery store, a Tim Hortons, and a taco shop. I can't imagine it going anywhere else today.

Also thanks to hingisfan for the motivation I emailed the SC team regarding the other side of Toronto, and they've already replied, saying that it's closer to Grimsby they're currently investigating... that works for me.

Visited Port Hope yesterday, lovely town with only 1 place the SC could possibly go IMHO -- Toronto Rd. exit, 1 block south (very convenient). There's a grocery store, a Tim Hortons, and a taco shop. I can't imagine it going anywhere else today.

Also thanks to hingisfan for the motivation I emailed the SC team regarding the other side of Toronto, and they've already replied, saying that it's closer to Grimsby they're currently investigating... that works for me.
What about the harvey's/ultramar/comfort inn parking lot?

Ah yes, for sure, and better for us as it will have less local traffic (it's more of a truck stop vs. a shopping area). I hadn't thought of it still being Port Hope, being all north of the 401 ;)

Port Hope was shining on the service loaner 85D...
2015-10-26 Port Hope.jpg

Very interesting, I would never have guessed something close to Grimsby. I wonder if they'll choose the Visitor Center at Casablanca exit? There are the following restaurants there:
- Tim Hortons/Wendy's
- Mr Sub
- New York Fries
- KFC/Taco Bell
- Montefort
- Sbarro
- DQ
And nearby is
- Taco Bell
- Boston Pizza
And a big Rona and Grocery Store across the street.

Would the Grimsby site be in lieu of a spot in Burl/Ham? If so I think that is a poor move and someplace around the junction of Hwys 403, 407 and QEW is a far better spot, as discussed above.

Since Tesla has apparently confirmed Grimsby, I guess I can say that I heard about this a few weeks ago when a peer at the Grimsby electric utility told me about it. My understanding is that it is going to be a smaller 2-stall type of setup similar to this one in Aurora, IL:

supercharger.jpg

Not sure if it is temporary pending the Burlington/Hamilton site or not.

Well that picture is a temporary Supercharger rig... is Aurora, IL temporary?

They have two of these rigs (for a total of 4 stalls) in Aurora, and it's been like that for a couple of years now. They trenched the parking lot to run the cables (you can see it in the picture... there is another one of these rigs to the right) and patched it over. I stop there sometimes on my way to my daughter's place n/w of Chicago.

Would the Grimsby site be in lieu of a spot in Burl/Ham? If so I think that is a poor move and someplace around the junction of Hwys 403, 407 and QEW is a far better spot, as discussed above.

Judging by the number of superchargers and the supercharger density in Canada, I would be quite surprised if they placed two of them so close to each other. I'm going to guess it's an "either or" scenario.

Since Tesla has apparently confirmed Grimsby, I guess I can say that I heard about this a few weeks ago when a peer at the Grimsby electric utility told me about it. My understanding is that it is going to be a smaller 2-stall type of setup similar to this one in Aurora, IL:

View attachment 99409

Not sure if it is temporary pending the Burlington/Hamilton site or not.

Looks like a refrigerator between the two stalls! Do these temporary SC's charge as fast as the regular ones?

- - - Updated - - -

About a week ago I was charging at the Woodstock Supercharger while there were two other Model S's charging. One one each limb of the L distribution of the 8 stalls into 4 and 4. Went for a short walk and when I returned one of the other cars was gone. We were charging at 200 km/her. I remembered reading somewhere on this forum to switch to a stall on the empty side and the charging rate went up to 485 km/hr. Is this a general rule at all SC sites?

Looks like a refrigerator between the two stalls! Do these temporary SC's charge as fast as the regular ones?

Yes. The equipment is the same. That's one Supercharger cabinet feeding two stalls, as is the case at all Supercharger installations, which is why you saw what you saw. Look at the numbers on the stalls - you'll see 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc. Don't plug into 2B if 2A is in use and 1A and 1B aren't. 2A and 2B share the same Supercharger cabinet, which can provide 135 kW across the two stalls, 120 kW max to one stall.

(Thus I have answered the long-standing question, 2B or not 2B?)

Yes. The equipment is the same. That's one Supercharger cabinet feeding two stalls, as is the case at all Supercharger installations, which is why you saw what you saw. Look at the numbers on the stalls - you'll see 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc. Don't plug into 2B if 2A is in use and 1A and 1B aren't. 2A and 2B share the same Supercharger cabinet, which can provide 135 kW across the two stalls, 120 kW max to one stall.

(Thus I have answered the long-standing question, 2B or not 2B?)

The "Mobile" Supercharger setups can take 3-Phase power at 208 or 480 Volts. When the power comes at 208 Volts, the units are limited to 90 kW total power to the two charging pedestals combined. When 480 Volts is available, the total power goes up to 135 kW.

Enjoy fast or faster charging!

The "Mobile" Supercharger setups can take 3-Phase power at 208 or 480 Volts. When the power comes at 208 Volts, the units are limited to 90 kW total power to the two charging pedestals combined. When 480 Volts is available, the total power goes up to 135 kW.

Enjoy fast or faster charging!

Thanks for the correction. My only experience with a "mobile" Supercharger was in Denver, and at that one I got 120 kW. I didn't know they could take a lower input voltage.