Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would the overhead be the same if Tesla was installing 2 stalls at a location compared to 6 or 8 (what they're doing now)?

Pretty much yes. The cost of the chargers and stalls and a slightly larger enclosure is, from what I've gathered from other people, small relative to the cost of doing all the trenching and other "fixed" infrastructure costs. The time required isn't hugely different either.

But the "temporary" Superchargers - those two stalls plus charger cabinet on a "sled" things - can no doubt be installed much more quickly and cheaply.

I'm not sure how Tesla is making these decisions, as they seem to have gone the "two stall temporary" route in Europe. For example, look at the south of France - Nimes, Avignon, Aix en Provence, Fréjus - all 2 stall installations.

Update: see for example My southern european roadtrip (with photos) | Forums | Tesla Motors

Yeah, I've been to Woodstock when it's empty and, other than the grand opening, I think the most I've seen there are 4 or 5. This is true for most Superchargers I've been to in Canada and the US. The consistently busiest Supercharger in my experience has been Barrie.

I do a weekly long drive that includes Barrie and Lawrence SC. Usually I am the only one at Barrie and Lawrence is always busy with at least 5 stalls with customers and 2-3 with new cars.

Kingston was originally supposed to have 8 stalls, unfortunately it got downgraded to 6 when they changes the location.

Won't a spot like Port Hope alleviate some of the pressure on an SC like Lawrence? I would think many people would be able to skip Lawrence, if they get a decent charge in Port Hope, especially if there is one on the other side of Toronto somewhere. Or heading East, hit Port Hope and then skip Kingston and hit Cornwall (~335km). Or, quicker stops at each, which frees up stalls quicker.

Kingston was originally supposed to have 8 stalls, unfortunately it got downgraded to 6 when they changes the location.

Won't a spot like Port Hope alleviate some of the pressure on an SC like Lawrence? I would think many people would be able to skip Lawrence, if they get a decent charge in Port Hope, especially if there is one on the other side of Toronto somewhere. Or heading East, hit Port Hope and then skip Kingston and hit Cornwall (~335km). Or, quicker stops at each, which frees up stalls quicker.
Amen to that. Now that I live in Mississauga, I can't wait to be able to skip Lawrence. It takes me forever to leave the GTA and head to Ottawa; especially on Friday evening.

Port Hope would make my winter trips towards Montreal much easier. I can get to Kingston directly from home (Brampton) as it is a bit over 300km if it is not too cold, but in the winter when I travel with family and skiis, I would welcome a stop in-between. Lawrence is only 30km from my home, so stopping there to top-up is not the best as I need to fill the very slow top-portion of SoC in the battery.

Port Hope would make my winter trips towards Montreal much easier. I can get to Kingston directly from home (Brampton) as it is a bit over 300km if it is not too cold, but in the winter when I travel with family and skiis, I would welcome a stop in-between. Lawrence is only 30km from my home, so stopping there to top-up is not the best as I need to fill the very slow top-portion of SoC in the battery.
I live just 5 min north of Brampton, is Belleville reachable in worst case scenario winter weather at highway speed say 115 km/h?

Ditto, but I vote 407/400 area, helps the northbound folks and the 407 cross traffic.
That is good for E/W commuters on the 407 but it is pretty close to Barrie for those going North. IMHO it makes sense to fill out the 401 corridor first with sites like Cobourg, plus Hamilton/Burlington. And for Northern travel complete the sites on the 2016 map in places like Huntsville, North Bay and Sudbury.

I live just 5 min north of Brampton, is Belleville reachable in worst case scenario winter weather at highway speed say 115 km/h?

Yes, definitely. Last winter I did the ~300km trip in very cold weather (around -20C), where I had to slow down a bit, was driving 100km/h for a while until I had the projected arrival state get back to above 4%. Finally, I arrived with 30km range left to the Kingsotn SC. Since Belleville is a good ~85km closer, it should be no problem to reach with an 85Kwh battery even in the coldest winter weather as long as you start with full charge (not 80%).

Just keep an eye on the projected SoC level, you can see that if you have navigation active on the main screen, tap the bottom of the little window that shows your arrival time, it will then display the projected charge state at destination. Or you can bring up the energy graph and switch to trip tab, that will also display it and update as your drive.

Agreed. Orangeville to Kingston is easy in summer; range anxiety in winter. I want to avoid the 401 until Pickering (The 407 is wonderful) - so a trip to Lawrence is "only if necessary". A Port Hope SC is a good thing.
PS I've NEVER seen a Tesla north of Brampton. You must keep it hidden:wink:

No news on Port Hope ? I really "hope" it's up soon, at least by the end of winter...

I dropped into the Big Apple in Colborne to take advantage of their HPWC (and their apple bread, new hard ciders, and their hot cider, yum).

Though it said 64A, it was only drawing "40A/64A" and the Amps adjustment was maxxed out, I couldn't increase it.... it was still a decent charge rate, but is this something about my 70 kwh pack, or this particular HPWC ???

No news on Port Hope ? I really "hope" it's up soon, at least by the end of winter...

I dropped into the Big Apple in Colborne to take advantage of their HPWC (and their apple bread, new hard ciders, and their hot cider, yum).

Though it said 64A, it was only drawing "40A/64A" and the Amps adjustment was maxxed out, I couldn't increase it.... it was still a decent charge rate, but is this something about my 70 kwh pack, or this particular HPWC ???
Do you have duel chargers?

That sounds like the site may have poor voltage and the car has automatically dropped it's charging rate down. If you see 40/64 A on the display, it's telling you there is a 64 A pilot signal, but if the car won't go past 40, then something else is wrong. If you only have a single charger, you would not see the 64 A at all on your screen, so I assume you have dual chargers. Did you see the full 64 amps at first before it stepped down? That's usually the pattern I see if the site has poor voltage.

If you see 40/64 A on the display, it's telling you there is a 64 A pilot signal, but if the car won't go past 40, then something else is wrong... Did you see the full 64 amps at first before it stepped down?
It went right to 40/64 ... the 70 is a bigger 60 not a smaller 85 so only 1 charger is possible from what I know -- guess I just had to experience it for myself, looks like I'm maxxed-out at 40A for AC charging (which might change the $$$$ when I call an electrician for HPWC quote as there's no reason to feed it more than 32-40A... at the moment ;)

Even at 40A this is a very handy spot and since there's only 1 HPWC I imagine that's why some folks here may have not been too motivated to communicate more about it ;) I should have tested the J1772 there too (I think it was Sun Country but not on their map ??) as I'd be fine dropping a bit lower to let someone take advantage of a lot faster charging on the HPWC with dual chargers.

Amazing that it's all still a "plug in and see what you get" affair... car is just so good, even propellerheads like me take the plunge without knowing all the facts, that really says something.