Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 10 minutes from Parry Sound this week. I have looked at most of the obvious spots and have seen no activity.
Found it!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Right off the 400. 292 Louisa Street. The Foreman said it would be online in less than a month.

FYI, on travel from Ottawa to Toronto.

The 308km drive from Ottawa to the Port Hope Supercharger required 59.2 kWh at posted + 15km/h via the old 417 -> 7 -> 37 -> 401 optimal route from before the 416 was built. That route saves roughly 35km versus taking the 416 and allows faster charging than Kingston on the way to the GTA, since the battery pack is less full when charging commences and does not need to be as full to allow travel to and around the GTA. The Port Hope Supercharger is also less likely than the Kingston supercharger to be occupied by other Teslas.

FYI, on travel from Ottawa to Toronto.

The 308km drive from Ottawa to the Port Hope Supercharger required 59.2 kWh at posted + 15km/h via the old 417 -> 7 -> 37 -> 401 optimal route from before the 416 was built. That route saves roughly 35km versus taking the 416 and allows faster charging than Kingston on the way to the GTA, since the battery pack is less full when charging commences and does not need to be as full to allow travel to and around the GTA. The Port Hope Supercharger is also less likely than the Kingston supercharger to be occupied by other Teslas.
When we took this route in the middle of July we found more Tesla's charging at Port Hope than at Kingston.

Today, Hydro-Quebec submited their annual proposal for new rates for the next year (starting April 1.)

They are asking for authorization for a new rate class, BR, that customers could choose as an option for EV charging. It is designed to alleviate the impact of demand charges on DCQC sites where peak demand requires lots of power, but the stations are generally in use less than 10% of the time. It is presented as a five -year pilot project. H-Q states their CHAdeMO currently have load factors of 0.5% to 8%. I have to read the document and check the math on the back of my napkin again, but this rate seems to favor sites that draw 55kW -150 kW peak and aren't too busy, because in exchange for much lower demand fees, the per kWh fee goes up on a sliding scale which actually charges more the more you use.

The positive is that the single station CHAdeMO's that are currently throttled to 41 kW should move to their full 47 kW - 50 kW.

The negative is that this doesn't seem to help Tesla much for large sites in busy corridors. It could lower the electricity bill for less busy sites (like RDL, if it is built) especially during the off-season.

I am wondering if it might be an incentive for Tesla to favor 2-stall installations in some Quebec locations.

It is Article 4 in this French-language document.

http://publicsde.regie-energie.qc.c...3980-2016-B-0052-Demande-Piece-2016_07_28.pdf

It'll probably encourage Tesla to co-locate storage at Quebec sites so they can limit draw to take advantage of the lower rate.

I'm headed to Woodstock NB later today, I will cruise around to see if there are any likely-looking sites fenced-off, painted for digsafe, etc.

The Atlantic Superstore in Woodstock NB has a large area fenced-off in the parking lot, adjacent to the road and right below the power line. No paint markings, and just a forklift inside the fencing at the moment. Could be something, might not be. I'm afraid I'm unlikely to be returning soon so I won't be able to follow-up.

Tim Horton's is just across the side-street, so that's convenient.

Possible Woodstock Supercharger.png

Last edited:
The Atlantic Superstore in Woodstock NB has a large area fenced-off in the parking lot, adjacent to the road and right below the power line. No paint markings, and just a forklift inside the fencing at the moment. Could be something, might not be. I'm afraid I'm unlikely to be returning soon so I won't be able to follow-up.

Tim Horton's is just across the side-street, so that's convenient.

View attachment 187944
I do the drive up and down Route 2 quite often. I could look it up in a few weeks when I go by there again.

Reactions: Bangor Bob
Today, Hydro-Quebec submited their annual proposal for new rates for the next year (starting April 1.)

They are asking for authorization for a new rate class, BR, that customers could choose as an option for EV charging. It is designed to alleviate the impact of demand charges on DCQC sites where peak demand requires lots of power, but the stations are generally in use less than 10% of the time. It is presented as a five -year pilot project. H-Q states their CHAdeMO currently have load factors of 0.5% to 8%. I have to read the document and check the math on the back of my napkin again, but this rate seems to favor sites that draw 55kW -150 kW peak and aren't too busy, because in exchange for much lower demand fees, the per kWh fee goes up on a sliding scale which actually charges more the more you use.

The positive is that the single station CHAdeMO's that are currently throttled to 41 kW should move to their full 47 kW - 50 kW.

The negative is that this doesn't seem to help Tesla much for large sites in busy corridors. It could lower the electricity bill for less busy sites (like RDL, if it is built) especially during the off-season.

I am wondering if it might be an incentive for Tesla to favor 2-stall installations in some Quebec locations.

It is Article 4 in this French-language document.

http://publicsde.regie-energie.qc.c...3980-2016-B-0052-Demande-Piece-2016_07_28.pdf

I don't think Tesla will do 2-stall installations now. That's 1 cabinet, so unreliable. Besides, it just adds construction overheads and doesn't fit with their plans for Model 3.

Anyway, sounds like a useful tariff for encouraging installation with low demand. Shame it didn't come until we're on the verge of a new era of long-range BEV.