Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently moved and lost my home charging set up. I find myself looking for a charge all the time. My new place doesn’t have the capacity to add a plug in the garage. I suddenly feel like I need a local Ottawa supercharger.. or a gas powered car. Does anyone know if or when Ottawa will get superchargers?
No one knows but certainly not very soon.
I find it ludicrous that they put them in out of the way places like Owen Sound and a: second set in Barrie when Ottawa should be prioritized.
I get it that permitting probably has a lot to do with it but still, Ottawa should have been up and running three years ago.
Probably see a SC in Elliot Lake before Otttawa! lol!

Reactions: Ottawa too
I recently moved and lost my home charging set up. I find myself looking for a charge all the time. My new place doesn’t have the capacity to add a plug in the garage. I suddenly feel like I need a local Ottawa supercharger.. or a gas powered car. Does anyone know if or when Ottawa will get superchargers?
I know it sucks, but there are a pretty good number of high power Chademo chargers in the the Ottawa area - including at IKEA. Not what you wish for, but better than a L2 somewhere...

2 options:
1. Keeping all wiring as is, convert one of the 120v plugs you have to NEMA 6-15.
2. Buy a quick 240v. I have one I can lend you if you want to test it.

You definitely need 240V power daily. Back in 2013 they promised a Supercharger east of the city for 2014, but it never materialized. They also promised an in-town Supercharger for this year. Your guess is as good as mine as to when/if it appears.

Reactions: Ottawa too
I know it sucks, but there are a pretty good number of high power Chademo chargers in the the Ottawa area - including at IKEA. Not what you wish for, but better than a L2 somewhere...
Thanks though I sure hope I can avoid the, what, CAD $700+ CHaDeMo (cHaDeMo ? lol) adapter just to comfortably visit Ottawa from Toronto.

This is still such a gap IMHO, our National Capital region, where it's famously colder and we all know that needs more energy and more charging. Logically, seems to me that our most populous + financial + Province's capital city's connection to relatively nearby National Capital region is more essential than covering city to cottage country, which got dramatically higher priority (though admittedly starting the run to Sudbury, and Thunder Bay and then across Trans Canada westbound).

BTW off topic I suppose but high-power related, did we talk yet about the free public Ontario chargers that have sprung up around Pearson airport, with the new SAE standard double-plug, or Chademo, but no standard L2 (so nothing a Canadian Tesla can use without an expensive adapter).

Thanks though I sure hope I can avoid the, what, CAD $700+ CHaDeMo (cHaDeMo ? lol) adapter just to comfortably visit Ottawa from Toronto.

This is still such a gap IMHO, our National Capital region, where it's famously colder and we all know that needs more energy and more charging. Logically, seems to me that our most populous + financial + Province's capital city's connection to relatively nearby National Capital region is more essential than covering city to cottage country, which got dramatically higher priority (though admittedly starting the run to Sudbury, and Thunder Bay and then across Trans Canada westbound).

BTW off topic I suppose but high-power related, did we talk yet about the free public Ontario chargers that have sprung up around Pearson airport, with the new SAE standard double-plug, or Chademo, but no standard L2 (so nothing a Canadian Tesla can use without an expensive adapter).

It does suck - agreed. But, things do happen rapidly when everything lines up. And knowing Tesla, there has to be more to the story in Ottawa than meets the eye. It is a no brainer for a location.

I bought the Chademo when I got my S because I am a NB boy living currently in the southeast US and go home every summer. I needed it in Bangor Maine to get to Saint John by using a nice Nissan dealer's Chademo. 2 years later, Bangor has a supercharger and I don't need it for that route anymore. However, NB Power has partnered with Irving Big Stops to span the entire Trans Canada through NB. Meaning I could now get to RDL from Saint John if I needed to. This was impossible just last summer when I was home and we needed to take my wife's ICE to Toronto and back instead.

Point is, I know it is expensive, but it really opens up vast swaths of travel that previously were not feasible. And the CCS/Chademo combo are springing up everywhere. I viewed it as an investment in mobility and a backup in a supercharger was every down somewhere.

New site under construction at the Hotel Germain Charlevoix in Baie-St-Paul, QC. By the looks of it, they started a week or two ago.

BSP1.jpg
BSP2.jpg
BSP3.jpg
BSP3.jpg
BSP8.jpg

Attachments

• BSP4.jpg
    BSP4.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 56