Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Tesla has apparently confirmed Grimsby, I guess I can say that I heard about this a few weeks ago when a peer at the Grimsby electric utility told me about it. My understanding is that it is going to be a smaller 2-stall type of setup similar to this one in Aurora, IL:

View attachment 99409

Not sure if it is temporary pending the Burlington/Hamilton site or not.

Any indication as to when this SC will be up and running? Been waiting for one out west. More trips out to Niagara on the Lake!

The "Mobile" Supercharger setups can take 3-Phase power at 208 or 480 Volts. When the power comes at 208 Volts, the units are limited to 90 kW total power to the two charging pedestals combined. When 480 Volts is available, the total power goes up to 135 kW.

I didn't know that. I thought those "mobile" style units were all 90's. Makes no difference to me with my A-pack anyway!

It is my understanding that the "mobile" Superchargers are 135 kW when connected to 480/277 Volts and 90 kW when connected to 208 Volts. In addition, I believe that they can be programed to power levels lower than those.

What's interesting about this is that I heard Tesla was asking the Grimsby utility for 277/480 volts, which is not a standard Canadian voltage (120/208 and 347/600 are common Canadian voltages). There is no reason Canadian utilities can't supply and meter at 277/480, but because the utility doesn't use equipment at this voltage anywhere else, they may ask the customer (Tesla) to fund the cost of having the utility purchase a spare transformer in case of a failure.

At "normal" Ontario Supercharger sites, utilities have been providing 347/600 volts and Tesla has been incorporating an additional dry-type transformer inside the fenced enclosure to step it down to 277/480 volts. Not really an option at these "mobile" sites.

Grimsby may end up being a 90 kW site (with a 120/208 volt utility supply). Again, no problem for me and my A-pack!

I think the driving force behind Grimsby was the requests from the Toronto folks taking day trips to the Niagara region...wanting to have access to Level III charging without having to cross (the often traffic congested) border to Buffalo.

I also think Grimsby, being a smaller town, would be less likely to suffer congestion abuse when compared with much larger Hamilton...it fits the pattern of a "between destination" location for a Supercharger station better than Hamilton...it also makes more sense (if the new Oakville store has Superchargers) than Hamilton as it is located further away.

This delay in getting SC's in Canada is very disconcerting. Unacceptable in my mind.
I've heard there won't be any more installed in Eastern Canada until the early Spring with the Port Hope area going online then, much too late for the Winter driving season between Montreal and Toronto.
On the bright side, Burlington, Vermont has its up and running now I see.

I also think Grimsby, being a smaller town, would be less likely to suffer congestion abuse when compared with much larger Hamilton...it fits the pattern of a "between destination" location for a Supercharger station better than Hamilton.

I think Grimsby is a good spot "in addition to" something around the Burlington/Hamilton area. I like the idea of a Supercharger near the nexus of the QEW, 407 and 403 to enable travel on those routes.

- - - Updated - - -

This delay in getting SC's in Canada is very disconcerting. Unacceptable in my mind.

Been that way for a while. The 401 was originally supposed to be covered by the end of 2013, or so I was told when I bought my car in the spring of that year. It just kept slipping and slipping....

All six superchargers in Kingston were occupied for about 10 minutes around 6pm on Sunday evening, although with the flow in and out there was never a line-up.

Further, my visits to the Toronto supercharger continue to be marked by more local folks than inter-city travelers, which combined with the volume of intercity travelers in Kingston suggests to me that future superchargers should be at locations like Grimsby, Port Hope, and Hwy 401 at Trafalgar rather than at spots like Burlington / Hamilton.

"All six superchargers in Kingston were occupied for about 10 minutes around 6pm on Sunday evening, although with the flow in and out there was never a line-up."

That's interesting as I left the Kingston charger at about 5:30 pm and 5/6 stalls were taken at that point. I was really surprised by that. That's the most I've ever seen there. I know it was a Sunday evening at surely the busiest time for that spot, but if we can see it completely fill up with the modest number of cars that are on the road in Canada today, it makes we wonder what it will be like in a year once the numbers of vehicles double.

Further, my visits to the Toronto supercharger continue to be marked by more local folks than inter-city travelers, which combined with the volume of intercity travelers in Kingston suggests to me that future superchargers should be at locations like Grimsby, Port Hope, and Hwy 401 at Trafalgar rather than at spots like Burlington / Hamilton.

401 at Trafalger would be a decent spot (Right at the Premium Outlet Mall) as it's close to the 407 juncture. I also thought that 401 at Hespeler Rd. (Hwy 24) would be a good spot too. There is a big box mall with restaurants right off the 401 with easy on/off in both directions. I see these as future "fill in" sites to supplement the bare minimum we have along the 401 west of Toronto right now (Woodstock and Comber). Something around the 402 junction at London is needed as well.

Last edited:
All six superchargers in Kingston were occupied for about 10 minutes around 6pm on Sunday evening, although with the flow in and out there was never a line-up.

Yes small pop towns with few teslas would be better.

Would the overhead be the same if Tesla was installing 2 stalls at a location compared to 6 or 8 (what they're doing now)? I was thinking of the possibility of installing many 2-stall superchargers at say Tim Hortons locations and have them every where rather than 1 main superchatger location in a 200km radius. Similar to what Electric Circuit is doing with CHAdeMO. Complimented of course with the possibility to monitor the live status of each. With this approach, Tesla would be dealing with one or two landlords for easy/structured paperwork and less electric capacity requirement at each location...

The trip planner would be able to navigate you to the supercharger that is less likely to be used by the time you arrive. (Works as an automated dispatcher)

Would the overhead be the same if Tesla was installing 2 stalls at a location compared to 6 or 8 (what they're doing now)? I was thinking of the possibility of installing many 2-stall superchargers at say Tim Hortons locations and have them every where rather than 1 main superchatger location in a 200km radius.

A couple of thoughts: 1) These things have quite a heavy power requirement and typically have their own "commercial grade" utility transformer and service. It is not likely that coffee shops would have adequate building electrical capacity to power them; 2) the infrastructure costs of trenching and installing equipment for 2 stalls is probably not much less than for 8. Certainly not 2/8 or 1/4 of the cost; 3) They're really intended for inter-city travel, and I'd worry that coffee shop locations would constantly be blocked with "opportunity chargers" as opposed to "road trippers".

the bare minimum we have along the 401 west of Toronto right now (Woodstock and Comber). Something around the 402 junction at London is needed as well.

Visited the Woodstock charger 3 times this past weekend, Friday and twice Sunday, all three times we were one of only two cars charging.
We did 500 km over 3 days. 300 of which was powered by Tesla superchargers...

Visited the Woodstock charger 3 times this past weekend, Friday and twice Sunday, all three times we were one of only two cars charging.
We did 500 km over 3 days. 300 of which was powered by Tesla superchargers...

Yeah, I've been to Woodstock when it's empty and, other than the grand opening, I think the most I've seen there are 4 or 5. This is true for most Superchargers I've been to in Canada and the US. The consistently busiest Supercharger in my experience has been Barrie.