Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - New to TMC - waiting for a March delivery of a blue 85D... Saw 2 Teslas today at the RA Center -that was very encouraging! Looking forward to the K-Town SC, I drive down to TO and Cobourg frequently. I think the Ottawa-Montreal corridor would be better served with a SC in Vaudreuil (20/30/40 "junction") rather than Casselman. Once Kingston is on-line I doubt Cornwall will see much business. Thanks Ktowntslafan for keeping an eye on things.

Welcome! I've been parking at the RA a lot at the dome for soccer. Lots of other nice cars I've seen around too. Hope to see you around!

So here's a surprise:

The Woodstock Supercharger goes live tomorrow. That's right, December 17th. This 8 stall site was built without (apparently) anyone noticing and is at the Quality Inn just off the 401.

EDIT: Well, apparently some did notice earlier in this thread, but I sure missed the news.

HOW IN THE HECK DID THIS HAPPEN!!!!! Just like that? I am betwixt and bewildered. Great news only it's the wrong side of Toronto for me. Gosh dang diddly...

Welcome! I've been parking at the RA a lot at the dome for soccer. Lots of other nice cars I've seen around too. Hope to see you around!

Excellent! Will look for your car again. We are at soccer Sat and Sun, don't be surprised if a couple of kids are peering through your window - they did last week. My son said "We'll keep the inside of our Tesla clean like this one because people will want to look in our car too." Love it!
I note you didn't park in the dome lot. A bit risky with the traffic and volume? I was thinking the same thing when it's my turn. Anyway, the more Tesla owners in Ottawa the better. The other car at the RA was (sig?) red.

- - - Updated - - -

Woodstock on line? Amazing. Someone could post a photo today perhaps? The "Golden Horseshoe" still seems under-serviced to me. Perhaps Burlington or Stoney Creek would be a good site? I used to travel that route and can't imagine driving all the way to Niagara Falls and back without a Supercharger. Classic Toronto day trip.

So here's a surprise:

The Woodstock Supercharger goes live tomorrow. That's right, December 17th. This 8 stall site was built without (apparently) anyone noticing and is at the Quality Inn just off the 401.

EDIT: Well, apparently some did notice earlier in this thread, but I sure missed the news.

You must be very happy that Woodstock is now in place. However, I think the Ambassador Inn will miss your overnight stays there when going to Chicago. :smile:

Im traveling from ottawa to Michigan over the next couple days. I'll be sure to update everyone on kingston, Woodstock and possibly comber.

If you're passing through Cambridge and need a charge, I have 2-100 amp Sun Country units at my office. We're a bit off the highway, but that may be offset by the fact that other public chargers nearby are only 30 amp units.

- - - Updated - - -

You must be very happy that Woodstock is now in place. However, I think the Ambassador Inn will miss your overnight stays there when going to Chicago. :smile:

I kinda wish Comber had come on-line first because I can make it from the west GTA to there in one go. Woodstock to Maumee is still too far without topping off at a Level 2 somewhere in between. With Comber, I can go straight to Angola and from there to my destination. In winter, I might need a stop at Country Club Hills or Aurora.

But yes, it's good news and I'm glad to see the west 401 starting to come on-line. Looking forward to Barrie as well for those Muskoka trips :wink:

HOW IN THE HECK DID THIS HAPPEN!!!!! Just like that? I am betwixt and bewildered.

I was at an EV Club meeting last night when the Operations Manager of the local electric utility gave a presentation on the construction with pictures and all. There were three or four Model S owners in the audience and we all kind of looked at each other with disbelief. Apparently, Tesla had asked the utility to keep it "top secret".

here are 70-some local distribution companies (electrical utilities) in Ontario, and each one has its own rules on top of the electrical code. If you do a lot of projects with a particular LDC, you can get to know their rules and can build up a good working relationship. So the good news is that once Tesla has installed a supercharger in the territory of one of those LDCs, the next one should be easier. But the bad news is that other than Hydro One (most rural areas), most SC installations will be the first for the utility since their territories tend to be fairly small.

I would point out, however, that these are very simple installations... the same as any other commercial installation with similar loads. The utility installs a padmount transformer, primary and secondary lines and terminates at a cabinet with provisions for metering. That become the demarcation point and the customer takes it from there. The only difference is that the cabinet is an outdoor weatherproof cabinet instead of an indoor cabinet in an electrical room. Nothing particularly "special" about it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm waiting for confirmation that Woodstock will be running today. If it is, I'm going out there (unless we get a lot more snow). Thanks to Mike for letting us know.

The utility ops manager says he was told by the Tesla folks in California that they will "push a button" and the site should show up on our car's maps. You could wait for that to be sure or, well, you know where you can top off on your way back if it's not running :wink:

I have done the drive to Niagara a few times from Scarborough and when it gets cold it will push the limit of the car. Especially when the car sits in the cold. Don't kid yourself. Better to drive slow to get there and go as fast as you like on the way back if you have the range.

I'm leaving shortly to check it out. Hopefully I report back around noon with a successful charge and pictures. :)
I received news from mnx saying [paraphrasing]:

Woodstock Supercharger:

That a guy in an orange vest is on site. One of the Supercharging stations has the whole cover off. And all stations have the top cap off.
There is a tesla on site with dealer plates... so they must be close.

- - - Updated - - -

Update from mnx: Should be up and running in about an hour.

--

:biggrin: WOO HOOOO just in time for my trip. Now, send that team to Kingston, please ! ;)

I received news from mnx saying [paraphrasing]:

Woodstock Supercharger:

That a guy in an orange vest is on site. One of the Supercharging stations has the whole cover off. And all stations have the top cap off.
There is a tesla on site with dealer plates... so they must be close.

- - - Updated - - -

Update from mnx: Should be up and running in about an hour.

--

:biggrin: WOO HOOOO just in time for my trip. Now, send that team to Kingston, please ! ;)
Good news! I told you guys, you have a new supercharger ready whenever I leave the country :-D