Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Different cars charge at different rates. Trust me, when a Ford Focus or Volt charges at our station, they draw a heck of a lot less than 14 kW.

But yes, the law is in fact stupid. It was apparently written to protect the monopoly of the power utility. At the very least it is outdated.

I was referring specifically to the Chargepoint charger which was the topic of discussion. Are there higher power stations than 6 or 7 kW (30 A @ 208/240V) which charge a time-based fee?

(Ok, yes, even that is above the capability of some cars - the Smart EV for example can only take 16A !)

I was referring specifically to the Chargepoint charger which was the topic of discussion. Are there higher power stations than 6 or 7 kW (30 A @ 208/240V) which charge a time-based fee

The same law against selling kWh exists afaik in Québec and two networks sell access to CHAdeMO/CCS.

1) Le Circuit Électrique 10$/hr, pro-rated to the minute.
2) Réseau Azra 4.99$ per 30-minute session.

Le Circuit Électrique belongs to Hydro Québec, but claims that they can't charge by the kWh, apparently because they partner with the hosts of their stations.

I do think SCH dropped the ball by stipulating EVSEs on their network only be free-to-use for 1 year before handing control over to the host.
- Wow! I thought the Stations were to remain Free! What is the first year - hardly any traffic at all! Locations in Golden, BC seem to have capitalized on the exit point - and are charging some $7.00 last I looked there!

Now more and more of them are denying charging to non-patrons. I don't think this is reasonable for Level 2 EVSEs. If I have 3 charging stops to make on a trip and all are at hotels, obviously I'm not going to stay at all of them. However, if I'm denied charging, I probably won't be able to continue. It was much better when you could simply choose the EVSE that worked best for your schedule.

I can understand businesses wanting some return on their investment, but in many cases the EVSE was donated by SCH, so not leaving them free-to-use seems a bit petty. Level 2 charging should be viewed the same as WIFI, a value-added service to draw people to your establishment, not a source of revenue, IMHO.

I wonder if we can structure a Deal like This - ALL 3.3 kW Charging is Free, and All 6.6 kW & Higher Charging is not billed at a rate over 110% of Local Electricity cost of the per kWh Price x 6.6?

I have charged there a few times. No bill will be sent.

It is illegal to sell electricity in Ontario unless your a utility or part of OPG... so I am told...and if you are a producer, then you can only sell it to the OPG (solar panels and such).

You have to be licensed by the Ontario Energy Board to retail electricity. It's got nothing to do with Ontario Power Generation (one of many power producers in Ontario).

- - - Updated - - -

But yes, the law is in fact stupid. It was apparently written to protect the monopoly of the power utility. At the very least it is outdated.

Not really. There are a number of Ontario Energy Board licenced electricity retailers in Ontario that aren't associated with utilities in any way.

- - - Updated - - -

...and All 6.6 kW & Higher Charging is not billed at a rate over 110% of Local Electricity cost of the per kWh Price x 6.6?

I'm not sure what this means. The "all in" on-peak cost of electricity (varies slightly by utility) is around 21 cents / kWh. So you are suggesting 21 * 1.1 * 6.6 = $1.52 / kWh???

Why is licensing required and what hoops do people need to go through?

Not having gone through the process, I can't say for sure. What I can say is that for EVSE operators, it probably isn't worth the hassle. There are Federal Measurement Canada requirements on the metrology as well, and I very much doubt that the metering equipment inside of these devices would meet MC requirements for verification, testing and sealing. I'm not one for over regulation of anything, but I think that the consumer protection and public safety aspects of this type of thing do warrant the requirements here.

There's a lot more than the electricity to consider with these stations (even more so with Level 3) including the cost and maintenance of the device itself and the electricity supply to it. I think charging a fee (hourly or fixed) for the use of the EVSE is a very good proxy. For an hour or two's use, the difference in electricity between a Tesla and a Leaf is likely immaterial against all the other O&M costs of operating a station.

- - - Updated - - -

PlugShare is relevant to this story because we could easily have avoided the problem in Lima if the status of the Lima Supercharger had been posted on PlugShare. I would therefore propose, until such time as we get real time Supercharger status updates through Tesla in our cars, that all of us post Supercharger status information on PlugShare as a service to other members of the Tesla community.

I agree, and always do try and post (Check In) on PlugShare whenever I charge. I do, however, have to take some of the comments and check-in status with a grain of salt because I've come across more than one erroneous posting. Case in point: I installed 2-100 amp SCH units at my office (an electric utility) and have each unit connected to a Smart Meter for monitoring purposes. Someone checked in and reported one of the two stations down. Smart Meter data showed no interruptions to power (not even a momentary blip) and both stations worked fine when I got in the next day to check. Now maybe the user didn't plug in properly or had some other issue with their car, but now my 10.0 rating is gone and PlugShare users might assume I have a glitchy charging station.

I was charging at the Barrie SC tonight and was disappointed to see that the closest restaurant is at least a brisk 10 minute walk away. No Timmy's nearby.
They are building the complex as we speak so maybe in a few months there will be something nearby.
Perhaps the demise of the nearby Target store could be turned into a food place.
Why did they put these chargers so far away from the regular stores?

The Barrie location is perfect for not getting ICEd right now. McDonalds is just a good walk south of the Fitness place.

I thought that the location was perfect. There are several good restaurants around the mall lot. And the LA Fitness is ideally located directly between the charger and McDonald's, ensuring that you feel guilty (and maybe think twice!) before heading over to choke down a Big Mac, fries and soda.

I was charging at the Barrie SC tonight and was disappointed to see that the closest restaurant is at least a brisk 10 minute walk away. No Timmy's nearby.
They are building the complex as we speak so maybe in a few months there will be something nearby.
Perhaps the demise of the nearby Target store could be turned into a food place.
Why did they put these chargers so far away from the regular stores?

If chargers are close, digruntled gas drivers take the premium spots out of spite. I think EV owners are generally happier to see our spots a good walk away.

Also, for your reference... The organic food market is very close and has a restaurant inside. Food is pretty good but, you have to tolerate overhearing conversations on the evils of GMO. Damn hippies with their organic foods and electric cars. :p

First they complain that the Superchargers are too close to the front door, and are getting ICEd... then they complain that they're too far from McDonalds. Just can't make people happy!

Personally, I prefer when SuperChargers are located as far as possible from any entrance... (just like Cornwall, they are located very far from Ramada's entrance). That would decrease significantly the chance of ICE'ing...

For us though, does it make really a difference? Not really IMVHO...

If chargers are close, digruntled gas drivers take the premium spots out of spite. I think EV owners are generally happier to see our spots a good walk away.

Also, for your reference... The organic food market is very close and has a restaurant inside. Food is pretty good but, you have to tolerate overhearing conversations on the evils of GMO. Damn hippies with their organic foods and electric cars. :p

Agreed, the food there is both closer and better than McDonalds! Lots of other choices, if you are prepared to walk (which we all need to do more of - damn fitbit!).

great moment: a Volt... ICE'ing a Tesla spot at Montréal SC!

VoltIcing.jpg