Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Echo Auto In Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Phone is selected. I can hear the setup tones and the audio cue play through the car speakers when I say Alexa, so it’s properly connected. Pretty sure it’s defective and not user error. Getting a replacement from Amazon.
Got the replacement, still have the exact same issue. No amount of resetting/deleting and restarting seems to fix it. So clearly this is some kind of compatibility problem with the combination of iPhone XS/iOS 13 and the Alexa Auto device. Bummer.

Hi all,

Just got my Model 3 last week and Echo Auto today.

Had the same Bluetooth connection / lights up but no response issues and solved it be rebooting my phone, killing and re-starting Alexa app, and power cycling the Echo Auto.

Definitely seems like it’s because it’s left on powered for a long period of time and some kind of timeout occurs that creates the error state.

Two questions:

1. From previous posts it sounds like the rear USBs power down immediately when the car is locked. Am I understanding that correctly? (if so I will power from there instead, though I’m disappointed I have to have the cable out in the open as my plan was to hide the whole thing in the center console...I can confirm previous posts that the microphones seem to work just fine through the console and with the audio queues don’t know why I wouldn’t want to keep things clean by hiding it away...)

2. I’ve got a smart garage door that works with all of my other Alexa devices and even via the Alexa app (by clicking buttons), but inexplicably when attempting to open it via the Echo Auto or even via the voice command button within the Alexa app, I’m getting a “this function is not supported”. My question here is...why would Amazon disable one of the most obvious use cases for the Echo Auto?!? (e.g. “Alexa, unlock the garage door”) And further, has anyone found any ways around it? (perhaps via Routines or IFTTT?) I have the standard package so apparently as of earlier this year don’t have HomeLink, so this was going to be my alternative to using a standard garage door opener and preferably was hoping to do a geo-based routine to automatically open the garage when I got close to home.

Any ideas?

Got the replacement, still have the exact same issue. No amount of resetting/deleting and restarting seems to fix it. So clearly this is some kind of compatibility problem with the combination of iPhone XS/iOS 13 and the Alexa Auto device. Bummer.
I've got a Galaxy S9+. Finally unboxed the Echo I received a few days ago. I couldn't hear the Echo Auto after linking it with the Alexa app on my phone. Tried rebooting the Echo over and over. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Echo over and over and the only time I could hear anything was when the Echo was getting ready to pair and through the speaker of the Echo. Finally, I tried rebooting the phone after it was paired and then it worked.

Another thing I'd mention, any Bluetooth paired speaker or headset will play the audio from the phone via the Echo. So if you have a Bluetooth device active and paired, you can test it that way as well by pairing the Echo with your phone and having your phone paired with a Bluetooth audio device, just as in the Tesla. As mentioned earlier, I had no audio output I could hear even though I could see the lights on the Echo activate when I said, Alexa... Do whatever. But once I rebooted my phone and it paired with the Echo and Bluetooth speaker, I could hear it. Then I took it in to the car so it would pair with the Tesla while I had the phone chosen, and I could finally hear and use the Echo.

I hope that helps anyone who's stuck watching the blue light move on the Echo and can't hear anything.

No, the hotspot is not needed with Alexa Car - It routes through the Alexa App on the phone. - Another advantage of using the Alexa Car (in comparison to Echo Dot which some people have installed in their Tesla and which does need the hotspot) it routes the Audio properly through the Phone Bluetooth so no switching Bluetooth to a different device or missed calls. - Tesla shows in the dashboard proper song display art for Apple Music (or whatever music service you use for Alexa).
I had some initial issues with the device keeping the connection to my phone (needed to call Amazon and re-install / re-boot the hone and factory reset the Alexa) but for the last week, everything runs perfectly. - Overall it's a huge improvement having full voice control for music (and other features like 'drop in' or 'announce' which I use a lot on my way coming home)

Just installed mine today. Seems to be working great. Had the ROAV VIVA in my old car but this is a more elegant solution with better integration. Nice to be able to switch among different inputs. Sounded pretty good too, although I probably will use the Spotify in the car for those playlists. Just stuffed it in the center console after people reported the mics were sensitive enough to do that. As long as you don't open the console, it's a clean installation!

I didn’t like the auto flopping around on my charging pad, so finally found a clean way to install it using the included vent mount and a short cable. I was going to use double sided tape, but then couldn’t move it to other vehicles.
F35BEB49-7165-4DAC-8A1A-9EF9E52390F9.jpeg

Reactions: lUtriaNt and mrau
I didn’t like the auto flopping around on my charging pad, so finally found a clean way to install it using the included vent mount and a short cable. I was going to use double sided tape, but then couldn’t move it to other vehicles.

flopping around? just use the mount that it comes with and it will stay put, mine is on the charging pad and hasn't moved in the 3 or 4 months i've had it there.

flopping around? just use the mount that it comes with and it will stay put, mine is on the charging pad and hasn't moved in the 3 or 4 months i've had it there.

Amazon stopped shipping the flat dash mount and no only offer the vent mount. That change occurred a couple months back. Yes, I checked with Amazon. No longer offerable.

No, the hotspot is not needed with Alexa Car - It routes through the Alexa App on the phone. - Another advantage of using the Alexa Car (in comparison to Echo Dot which some people have installed in their Tesla and which does need the hotspot) it routes the Audio properly through the Phone Bluetooth so no switching Bluetooth to a different device or missed calls. - Tesla shows in the dashboard proper song display art for Apple Music (or whatever music service you use for Alexa).
I had some initial issues with the device keeping the connection to my phone (needed to call Amazon and re-install / re-boot the hone and factory reset the Alexa) but for the last week, everything runs perfectly. - Overall it's a huge improvement having full voice control for music (and other features like 'drop in' or 'announce' which I use a lot on my way coming home)

so you have to do nothing to enable internet access in the Auto vs the Input (wife keeps forgetting the hotspot+connection time).

Can you drop in to the auto and make calls?

FWIW on our 2015 Model S (with the yacht floor center console), I used double stick Velcro and mounted the Echo Auto under the slot in the center stack (the slot under the touchscreen). Mounted it upside down with the LED edge facing out. Routed the power cable to the side and tucked it under the side trim of the center console, then back to the 12V outlet, where I have a flush mount dual USB adapter.

On my Model 3, I have it resting in a tray in the center console under the flip up door for the front compartment (the door just back of the phone area), with the wire going under the tray and phone flip up holder to a previously installed 5 port 12V-to-USB power strip. Even with the door closed, the Echo Auto can hear me.

Overall the Echo Auto experience is spotty--sometimes fails to lock onto the iPhone. Sometimes audio (like Tesla nav instructions) kill the Echo audio feed. Still working out the bugs...

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911