Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrek Article: "Tesla says it is adding radar in its cars next month amid self-driving suite concerns"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so we have HD radar, 5mp cameras, hw4 and project highland in the pipeline.

If the HD radar is coming q1 2023, the refreshed M3 I think was q3 2023 and I have no idea about the cameras and hw4. Seems odd to have to have so many updates spread over the year, why not do it all in one go?

Okay, so we have HD radar, 5mp cameras, hw4 and project highland in the pipeline.

If the HD radar is coming q1 2023, the refreshed M3 I think was q3 2023 and I have no idea about the cameras and hw4. Seems odd to have to have so many updates spread over the year, why not do it all in one go?
Tesla has traditionally released updates when they're ready, and eschewed the model year bundling of new things that most manufacturers do.

ME: "Guys...I'm an aerospace engineer and scientist with experience in multi-sensor fusion and have owned a Tesla Model Y for over two years. I'm telling you this car is getting worse and worse without radar being actively used and that "vision only" is a bad idea."

A THOUSAND MUSK FANBOYS ON HERE: "You just don't understand Elon! You didn't watch 'AI Day' and don't understand his brilliance! Our Teslas try to kill us only...er...rarely! People only have eyes, so...!"

ME: *continues to watch my radar-equipped Model Y autosteer becoming unusable at night and in the rain with "Tesla Vision" updates...*

AUTO INDUSTRY: *continues to improve multi-sensor fusion and drive radar and lidar costs down*

TESLA (Dec 2022, see below): "Umm...we're putting radar back in...."

ME: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ME: "Guys...I'm an aerospace engineer and scientist with experience in multi-sensor fusion and have owned a Tesla Model Y for over two years. I'm telling you this car is getting worse and worse without radar being actively used and that "vision only" is a bad idea."

A THOUSAND MUSK FANBOIS ON HERE: "You just don't understand Elon! You didn't watch 'AI Day' and don't understand his brilliance! Our Teslas try to kill us only...er...rarely! People only have eyes, so...!"

ME: *continues to watch my radar-equipped Model Y autosteer becoming unusable at night and in the rain with "Tesla Vision" updates...*

AUTO INDUSTRY: *continues to improve multi-sensor fusion and drive radar and lidar costs down*

ME: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Im not saying you arent correct, and this next part of my comment is 100% devils advocate... but...

Didnt Elon admin months ago that a high powered radar would be better than just "pure vision", but it didnt exist at the time?

I wonder if this is just that?

• Disagree
Reactions: Mikecm1 and KArnold
Im not saying you arent correct, and this next part of my comment is 100% devils advocate... but...

Didnt Elon admin months ago that a high powered radar would be better than just "pure vision", but it didnt exist at the time?

I wonder if this is just that?

He said "high resolution"....not high-powered. And yes, the new radar they registered last year and which they're about to put back in is better resolution than the old one.

HOWEVER, many people (myself included) never bought the bogus story that "vision only" is superior and that's why Tesla ditched radar.
I'm among the *many* industry watchers who think it was a fix to the supply-chain problems during the pandemic and that Tesla just couldn't get enough radars to keep them in the car. Also, cost cutting. Same reasons they ditched Ultrasound recently. I bet they put those back in someday soon.

He said "high resolution"....not high-powered. And yes, the new radar they registered last year and which they're about to put back in is better resolution than the old one.

HOWEVER, many people (myself included) never bought the bogus story that "vision only" is superior and that's why Tesla ditched radar.
I'm among the *many* industry watchers who think it was a fix to the supply-chain problems during the pandemic and that Tesla just couldn't get enough radars to keep them in the car. Also, cost cutting. Same reasons they ditched Ultrasound recently. I bet they put those back in someday soon.

Pardon the mistyped word, but you know what I meant, so no harm no foul.

I can agree with the supply-chain issues. Makes sense.

define "didnt exist at the time"

and who here REALLY considers Elon to be a man of his word?

Twitter paid blue-checks. Thats who! HA!

Why do you say so?

Which part? I'll explain all though... Tesla isn't going to spend the money to retrofit anything that they aren't forced to based on a safety requirement or based on a past promise. The camera's are currently horrible resolution. There definately needs to be a higher resolution in order to get some object detection at longer distances. Farther object detection will allow for farther away speed calculations which will allow for smoother driving adjustments. Because Tesla previously decided that the crappy camera system is still better by itself than the radar, it supports my statement that a camera upgrade would be more likely. Upgrading 8 camera will increase capability a lot more than a single radar upgrade.

Reactions: ss——

Look up "appeal to accomplishment" and please refrain from listing your credentials as a way to convince people you're right. There are likely lots of accomplished people on these forums. Not saying you're wrong; you're just not convincing people the way you want to.

A THOUSAND MUSK FANBOYS ON HERE: "You just don't understand Elon! You didn't watch 'AI Day' and don't understand his brilliance! Our Teslas try to kill us only...er...rarely! People only have eyes, so...!"

Agree there are people who drink the koolaid and toe the party line. But I also see "A THOUSAND" opposing viewpoints saying that their car is worse without radar, and plenty of people suspect the true reason for radar removal was to adapt to a parts/supply chain shortage. I would agree with that, and to help make the decision easier, fusing garbage data from the low-res radar was counterproductive in some situations.

I haven't noticed any weather-related performance issues post-radar removal. It was always hit or miss. If weather is so bad that vision is continually impaired, there's no other sensor out there that can take over as a redundant sensor. In other words, if vision is down, you can't drive on radar, even though it has the advantage of seeing through rain. It unfortunately can't see lanes, stop light colors, or read signs.

For me, highway overpass and signage AEBs were completely eliminated when radar was disabled. Great! But the car is now slower to recognize slowdowns ahead, and it brakes late. I speculate that was due to loss of radar. And the following-speed logic feels all over the place. I also miss detection of the car in front of the lead car, again leading to late braking.

Part of Elon's argument all along is that extra sensors cost a lot of money, and they wouldn't be needed IF the vision and "brain" were good enough. He cites humans as an example. I don't necessarily agree with all that, but I didn't have an issue with his approach.... except now it's clear the vision and "brain" are improving fairly slowly, and people get impatient based on his FSD promises. There could come a time when the costs of these extra sensors do come down enough that Elon's willing to use them. It seems like this HD radar might be an example of this. I personally think it will be limited to just the new robotaxi model, and it won't be coming to the S3XY fleet for a while, due to the cost.

As much as I'd love a vision-only solution (you have to admit it would be a very elegant solution IF it worked well), I am a big fan of adding HD radar back into the mix. But, if FSD still kinda sucks with the new radar after a year or two in development, they have no more excuses. Perhaps their software prowess is not as good as they claim.

I think that, absent clear definition of what exactly FSD is, there are going to be many “variants” of FSD, with different restriction/capabilities based on the car model and batch. That way, technically having “all hardware needed”, older cars will have FSD but with limitations compared to the new car. Something like lower speed, only during the day, etc.

I am guessing that Tesla decided that the current radar is not adequate and they needed a HD Radar, and if I put my marketing hat on, why will I announce it to the word when I don't have the 4D radar ready as it will It will stop whatever FSD plan was being sold. So the better option is announce vision is the way to go so that FSD sales can continue and at a later point in time- fully paid up licensees will be upgraded with the new radar and I am not sure how they will handle the subscription base. All this is my guess so please don't jump on me on the logic .. i have no inside information and I don't even follow Elon on twitter.

• Funny
Reactions: Mike7564 and DrGriz
I have 3 Teslas, 2 with FSD and none with radars. I am very satisified with my level 2 driver assist and have no concerns. It's helps out 95% of my drives. The times it shouldn't be used is very obvious. The only concerns anyone should have with the technology is drivers who recklessly take their hands off the wheel or quit paying attention because of it - and then I'm more concerned about the driver than the technology. An FSD license is coming.

Reactions: enemji
we will have to wait and see how the chips fall on Free radar u/g for paid up FSD customers. As per Elon there are 85K FSD customers ( I think he meant paid up licenses- but somebody can correct me if my understanding is wrong).
I believe Tesla just said there are 285K FSD beta users (and that would be North Amrrica only at this time.

Is your 85k number possibly a typo or a misread of the 285k number recently announced? Just trying to understand and reconcile the information. Perhaps some of the 285k are monthly subscribers, but I wouodn't think it's a 200k to 85k ratio of monthly to paid-up FSD users.

Also, I agree we'll have to wait and see regarding future hardware upgrades. Of course I'd like it to be included in the price, but short of that I just want to be able to get it and not be locked out.

Anyone got details on the new HD Radar and Gen4 Hardware rumored to launch this month on the M3? I'd hope the Model Y gets it this month also as I'm thinking about a Model Y LR.

According to some reports, middle of this month: