Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrek Article: "Tesla says it is adding radar in its cars next month amid self-driving suite concerns"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FjVJL-XX0A48khP

IMHO, this might be Tesla's internally developed proprietary 4D advanced radar sensors that Musk hinted about in one of his random midnight tweets. Who knows, but I imagine that pre new-radar equipped cars will be limited in their full FSD capabilities, leading some early adopters to re-purchase a new Tesla for that self driving improvement in fog, rain, dark conditions that plague current radar-less FSD.

Basically, those headlight housings from the new Model 3 spy photos may have the HD Radar on it.
This would certainly help Autopilot when making a left or a right turn
at an intersection to detect cyclists or vehicles.

Currenty Autopilot relies on the cameras mounted on the 'B' pillar.
But this may forces having the front of the car entering into the crossing lane.

Just wanted to mention that nothing in that article supports it's title, or your title mentioning "self-driving suite concerns".

It does have quotes from Musk saying that Vision is better than Vision plus radar(normal radar), and separately that Vision plus High Definition Radar would be better than Vision alone... Nothing about any "concerns".

And only way there would be a retrofit would be if it is required for FSD. I think it would be more likely that the cameras would need to be upgraded before needing an HD radar component.

Just wanted to mention that nothing in that article supports it's title, or your title mentioning "self-driving suite concerns".

It does have quotes from Musk saying that Vision is better than Vision plus radar(normal radar), and separately that Vision plus High Definition Radar would be better than Vision alone... Nothing about any "concerns".

And only way there would be a retrofit would be if it is required for FSD. I think it would be more likely that the cameras would need to be upgraded before needing an HD radar component.
Amid self-driving concerns -- concerns that nobody needs explained because we all know what they are.

Tesla had requested an extension from the FCC in confidentially around this radar implementation because they are currently planning to market something with it by the middle of next month.

Is this the new Model 3 refresh we've seen? Project Highland? is that the new Robotaxi platform with a more robust sensor suite?

The article title is super misleading.

Summary: "Electrek doesn't know what this radar reference is about".

In the last section of the article they even speculate it could even be some in cabin radar related to driver-assist features. So a title "... adding radar in its cars..." could mean a really really wide variety of things.
Cabin radar doesn't need to be HD. The title reflects the normal use of HD radar.

Saying HD radar is used in the cabin is misleading.

Reactions: Investor9872
"Since 2016, Tesla has claimed that all its vehicles produced going forward have “all the needed hardware” to become self-driving with future software updates.

(moderator note: since you accidentally left an extra end quote on the comment below I have unitalicized and unbolded your text and bolded my addition)

“It turned out not to be true, said 2101Guy not for the first or last time"

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s entirely possible that the initial elimination of radar was primarily to keep production going amidst shortages.
Agreed. Reminds me a bit of the "we (Tesla) removed passenger seat lumbar only because we felt no one was really using it".

Other carmakers: "The 2022 GMC Yukon will temporarily lose its four-way power lumbar support due to the microchip shortage, GM Authority can confirm".