TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Electrician recommends combining washer/dryer 110v into 220v ??

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by bottomsup, Aug 25, 2018.

1. bottomsup

bottomsup Member

Hi,

My electrician said it would be a huge PIA to put 240v 40a into my garage given how far the box is and adjacent condo walls.

He Instead recommended we convert the washer and dryer circuits which althere are two of to a 220v 20amp since it’s already in my garage.

Per the Tesla site this appears it will charge around 15mph vs 4-5 with 110v 20amp? The site is based on 240v so not sure what 220v will get me.

I would prefer piece of mind of the fastest amperage but this seems much simplistic and practical.

What charge speed should I expect with this setup on a model 3?

Thanks

2. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

What will you do when you need the washer and dryer? I would move on, get a new electrician, or do it myself.

• Like x 1
  3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as 220V service, but people commonly call it that. It’s 240V. I would try the 20A circuit idea for a while before you decide if you need to go to the expense of wiring for faster charging. Even if you drive 150 miles/day, you’ll regain it in 10 hrs charging overnight. Buy the 6-20 UMC adapter from Tesla.

• Helpful x 2
  4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

@bottomsup - Are you saying the electrician said the dryer outlet is 120V, 20A? They are typically 240V, 30A. The washer is typically 120V, 20A.

You need to have the electrician verify or find another electrician.

If the dryer is 240V, 30A then you can plug in to the existing dryer outlet.

• Helpful x 2
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

Gas dryers can be on a 120 v receptacle as they only need electrons to turn the tumbler.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
  6. bottomsup

bottomsup Member

He said the washer and dryer are on separate circuits and both 120v 20amp. It’s a gas dryer

• Informative x 1
  7. eprosenx

eprosenx Member

Yeah, I have a 120v 20a receptacle for my washer and a 30a 240v for my dryer. But I have a gas dryer so it is just plugged into the washer circuit to run the drum and fan and igniter.

I am *guessing* that the house in question has perhaps two separate 120v 20a circuits (one for dryer and one for washer) and that the theory is to convert one to 240v and use the other one for both the washer and dryer? (both my washer and dryer seem to do fine on the same circuit)

This is not a very common wiring setup as far as I know (dual 120v circuits for washer and dryer).

If your driving needs are modest it may work fine, but it is fairly slow. I have a friend who is happy though with this 20a 240v setup!

It might be a challenge in cold climates though since heating the battery takes a lot.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

OK, I had not thought about a gas dryer! The combined 240V, 20A circuit should work. Of course you would probably need to convert it back when you sell your condo.

9. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

Or literally combine them by just putting both circuits on a single 240 breaker? Not sure if that’s something that is allowed.

10. bottomsup

bottomsup Member

I believe this is what he suggested

11. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

#11 Kermee, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Convert the circuit-dedicated 5-20R for the dryer into a 6-20R. Done. — I actually have a washer and an NG dryer and both can run at the same time without issue on a single 5-15R on a single circuit.

• Like x 1
  12. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

I can’t think of anything that would be a problem with this as long as there aren’t any other outlets on the circuits (doubtful there would be) and they install the proper amperage breaker and outlet for the wire gauge.

13. davewill

davewill Member

This sounds like the way to go. The OP's original explanation left me wondering where his washer and dryer were going to plug in.

• Like x 2
  14. chilman408

chilman408 Member

I have washer/dryers that runs on 110V. They were top of the line from Samsung a few years back but I assume they are common-place now.

It could be an option to just upgrade them and then have a dedicated 240V for charging.

15. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

They are both dedicated 20 amp circuits, did he verify there is nothing else on both of those circuits ?

Will you still be able to do laundry?

He will be creating a 14-20 for you?

Home charging at 20 amps?

16. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

If you have two 20a outlets on opposite phases... there is this... 220 and 240 Voltage Converters for Everyday Use

I don't know much about them. There is a circuit in it (apparently) to keep the second plug from energizing until they are both plugged in and verified to be on opposite phases.

I probably wouldn't do this long term.

I'd have to understand more about exactly what the electrician is proposing. If there is already a dedicated 20a / 120v circuit that itself may be converted.

• Like x 2
  17. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

No problems there. That's all a 240v circuit is really.

18. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

Whoah. That's pretty cool!

19. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

I was more wondering if there are any problems with potentially having the wires running different routes to the outlet, although I would assume they were run the same way.

20. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I’d still like to know exactly what he is proposing?

Are the two outlets on opposite phases, and he is going to wire them together and add a new outlet?

Are the two outlets the only outlets on the circuit, and he is going to repurpose the wire and make one (or two) 240 outlets?