Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician recommends combining washer/dryer 110v into 220v ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

My electrician said it would be a huge PIA to put 240v 40a into my garage given how far the box is and adjacent condo walls.

He Instead recommended we convert the washer and dryer circuits which althere are two of to a 220v 20amp since it’s already in my garage.

Per the Tesla site this appears it will charge around 15mph vs 4-5 with 110v 20amp? The site is based on 240v so not sure what 220v will get me.

I would prefer piece of mind of the fastest amperage but this seems much simplistic and practical.

What charge speed should I expect with this setup on a model 3?

Thanks

Hi,

My electrician said it would be a huge PIA to put 240v 40a into my garage given how far the box is and adjacent condo walls.

He Instead recommended we convert the washer and dryer circuits which althere are two of to a 220v 20amp since it’s already in my garage.

Per the Tesla site this appears it will charge around 15mph vs 4-5 with 110v 20amp? The site is based on 240v so not sure what 220v will get me.

I would prefer piece of mind of the fastest amperage but this seems much simplistic and practical.

What charge speed should I expect with this setup on a model 3?

Thanks
What will you do when you need the washer and dryer? I would move on, get a new electrician, or do it myself.

Reactions: adaptabl
There is no such thing as 220V service, but people commonly call it that. It’s 240V. I would try the 20A circuit idea for a while before you decide if you need to go to the expense of wiring for faster charging. Even if you drive 150 miles/day, you’ll regain it in 10 hrs charging overnight. Buy the 6-20 UMC adapter from Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and GSP
Gas dryers can be on a 120 v receptacle as they only need electrons to turn the tumbler.

Yeah, I have a 120v 20a receptacle for my washer and a 30a 240v for my dryer. But I have a gas dryer so it is just plugged into the washer circuit to run the drum and fan and igniter.

I am *guessing* that the house in question has perhaps two separate 120v 20a circuits (one for dryer and one for washer) and that the theory is to convert one to 240v and use the other one for both the washer and dryer? (both my washer and dryer seem to do fine on the same circuit)

This is not a very common wiring setup as far as I know (dual 120v circuits for washer and dryer).

If your driving needs are modest it may work fine, but it is fairly slow. I have a friend who is happy though with this 20a 240v setup!

It might be a challenge in cold climates though since heating the battery takes a lot.

I am *guessing* that the house in question has perhaps two separate 120v 20a circuits (one for dryer and one for washer) and that the theory is to convert one to 240v and use the other one for both the washer and dryer? (both my washer and dryer seem to do fine on the same circuit)
Or literally combine them by just putting both circuits on a single 240 breaker? Not sure if that’s something that is allowed.

If you have two 20a outlets on opposite phases... there is this... 220 and 240 Voltage Converters for Everyday Use

I don't know much about them. There is a circuit in it (apparently) to keep the second plug from energizing until they are both plugged in and verified to be on opposite phases.

I probably wouldn't do this long term.

I'd have to understand more about exactly what the electrician is proposing. If there is already a dedicated 20a / 120v circuit that itself may be converted.

I was more wondering if there are any problems with potentially having the wires running different routes to the outlet, although I would assume they were run the same way.

I’d still like to know exactly what he is proposing?

Are the two outlets on opposite phases, and he is going to wire them together and add a new outlet?

Are the two outlets the only outlets on the circuit, and he is going to repurpose the wire and make one (or two) 240 outlets?