Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity is $5/gallon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Misleading? But it is factual comparison!!!

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics
Factual? How can you "factually" compare apples to oranges? You are applying a made-up fudge factor for the comparison ($0.15/kWh). As others have pointed out, the actual price can be significantly less (or more). Also with the gasoline you have the cost of NOx and COx pollution which are not (directly) applicable to electricity. So please factor in the cost of your premature death.

Markets attempt to be able to compare anything to anything by using a monetary scale, but it is hardly an efficient process, and certainly not a "fact" based one.

At $0.15 / kWh, electricity costs the equivalent to $5/gallon of gasoline

Just a random fact of the day. Enjoy

* 1 gallon = 33.7 kWh
** Long range Model 3 holds just over 2 gallons of equivalent energy
***Luckily EVs are more efficient
This got me interested in what I spend in fuel this year so far, (In Kangaroo dollars)

$0.25 / kWh here because we get ripped off like with everything.
80kw = $20 AUD = $14.80 USD for ~500km range.

Looking at my accounts this year, I've spend $1.7k in fuel so far, ~$250 a month (ouch).

@ $1.70/L, so for $250 thats ~150L of fuel per month.

My car fuel economy is ~10L/100km, so thats ~1500km per month.

So for me to run a model3 for a month is $44.4, vs $250, saving $210 a month.

PA is $533 vs $3000.

Was tossing up between cheap suby for upgrade to but looks like I'll wait for CPO RHD M3

I think its time I did this too
DjPUpd3U8AAoM91.jpg

They are building a Supercharger in Philadelphia right now and if demand goes up I'm sure they will build more. It's working great in CA. You should come visit sometimes. :D
Too much traffic, pollution, feces, and homeless out there. Those things between me and old wine country are a real deterrent. It is easier to go to Europe.

I had to do some further research for the Philly area. 441,000 on street parking spaces in Phila county.
Philly had a 10 year program where residents could pay( about $6000) to install a charger on the street.
67 people signed up for the program.
The program was cancelled last year, residents, it seems, are unhappy about some wealthy guy basically buying an on street parking spot for his 100k car.
Although the council pointed out that there are nearly 100 places to charge your vehicle around the city!
Of course you would need to shop at that store with the charger.... or pay big $$ to park in a garage that has one... but yea 100 locations!

Too much traffic, pollution, feces, and homeless out there. Those things between me and old wine country are a real deterrent. It is easier to go to Europe.

I had to do some further research for the Philly area. 441,000 on street parking spaces in Phila county.
Philly had a 10 year program where residents could pay( about $6000) to install a charger on the street.
67 people signed up for the program.
The program was cancelled last year, residents, it seems, are unhappy about some wealthy guy basically buying an on street parking spot for his 100k car.
Although the council pointed out that there are nearly 100 places to charge your vehicle around the city!
Of course you would need to shop at that store with the charger.... or pay big $$ to park in a garage that has one... but yea 100 locations!
That's just SF. CA is a huge state. There are many nice places that doesn't have a homeless or feces problem and has tons of superchargers. It's not a problem at all to own a Tesla and not have a home charger here.

Speaking of Europe, if you go over there you will see that it's not a problem at all to have an EV and not have a charger at home. Especially in places like Norway.

Last edited:
What about the time needed to drive to the gas station?
What about looking for the gas station with the competitive price?
What about waiting in line at Costco Gas?
What about paying ATM fee at ARCO gas?

I dont miss those long gas lines at Costco at all.... Funny, the Costco gas station in Chula Vista is the busiest in the US and makes somewhere near $50M/yr. I cant believe people drive miles and miles to save a few pennies / gal.

The cost based arguing is irrelevant here. Even if the Original Poster's figures are correct at $5.00 per US gallon for equivalent electricity costs, a litre of diesel in the UK retails at about £1.35 currently.

That puts the cost at around $1.77 per litre (currency rates at xe.com) which comes out at $6.70 a US gallon. So the electricity would still be cheaper even if the Miles per Gallon were the same.

Also of note: New-build homes and street lighting targeted for EV charger expansion | Autocar UK Transport Minister Chris Grayling has put forward plans for new homes and street lighting to incorporate EV chargers.

That's just SF. CA is a huge state. There are many nice places that doesn't have a homeless or feces problem and has tons of superchargers. It's not a problem at all to own a Tesla and not have a home charger here.

Speaking of Europe, if you go over there you will see that it's not a problem at all to have an EV and not have a charger at home. Especially in places like Norway.
Maybe that works out there but it won't work here or everywhere else. at least not in the next 10 or 20 years. Do you think the avg guy wants to spend an hour or two every few days at a charger? That guy is probably thinking: I'd pay $50 to get these two hours of my life back. Maybe I'm just crazy thinking that round pegs won't fit into square holes.

Maybe that works out there but it won't work here or everywhere else. at least not in the next 10 or 20 years. Do you think the avg guy wants to spend an hour or two every few days at a charger? That guy is probably thinking: I'd pay $50 to get these two hours of my life back. Maybe I'm just crazy thinking that round pegs won't fit into square holes.
When gasoline cars first came out I'm sure it was a hassle to fill up too. I'm sure there were people that were saying I would rather just use a horse.

Reactions: Evoforce
I can fill my ICE with 2 gallons of gas in about 10 seconds.

YOUR MOVE TESLA!! :p

Not true! You gotta mess around inserting your credit card, answering dumb questions about how you'll pay, input your zip code, swat away the beggars asking you for a few $ to get home, then you get to fill your tank, all the while breathing benzene and many other carcinogens from the gasoline fumes. You can keep your ICE and all the smelly things that go with it..

I dont miss those long gas lines at Costco at all.... Funny, the Costco gas station in Chula Vista is the busiest in the US and makes somewhere near $50M/yr. I cant believe people drive miles and miles to save a few pennies / gal.

I know it sounds crazy. But this is one of the main reasons I wanted my tesla really bad. Chula vista line was always 20 mins +!

Data from the EIA. Look under the petroleum column

Which isn't used much.

The most interesting thing to look at in those data is heat rate of Natural Gas Combined Cycle (CCGT) and compare it to the others:
7,652btu/kWh is 44.59% efficiency.
With an average of 5% transmission loss, that's 42.36% efficiency plant to wall, or 2.36kWh plant to wall.
So, a 100mpge wall-to-wheel vehicle is 42mpge, plant to wheel.
Now consider that:
- new generation capacity is now mostly renewables and CCGT (because they have the lowest levelized costs)
- new BEVs have EPA ratings above 100mpge.
- battery systems would allow renewables or CCGT generation to be used in place of peaker plants

Just get battery prices down and the market will adopt BEV en masse. Electricity is cheap.