Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a bit in the thread quoted from an EA document that I found interesting:

Unfortunately, the link to the document didn't work for me, so I can't check it in more depth. This sounds like implicit support for using the Setec CCS adapter on EA equipment, though, which contrasts with EVgo, which has issued a CYA statement that discourages/forbids (I don't recall the precise wording) use of the Setec CCS adapter at EVgo stations. Of course, it's entirely possible that EA could reverse course on this and officially say that the Setec CCS adapter is unwelcome at its stations in the future.

If Tesla is going to allow non Tesla’s access to the Tesla SC network, hopefully that means Tesla will produce a CCS adapter?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
If Tesla is going to allow non Tesla’s access to the Tesla SC network, hopefully that means Tesla will produce a CCS adapter?
I definitely hope it would mean Tesla would be planning to bring the CC1 adapter they supposedly have in final testing in South Korea to the US shortly after its release, though that's already been delayed from "first half 2021" to "second half 2021" and still no more specific date for when it'll be available for either orders or deliveries.

Nope. The owners of most charging station don't care, and will care even less if it's free.
You've misunderstood polyphonic's point. They are saying that 90% of the problems that EV owners attempting to use the EA chargers experience are due to failures/difficulties with the payment system. Since Labor Day weekend is traditionally a heavy travel day, EA expects a high level of usage on their chargers. By making them free, they have effectively turned all their locations into Plug & Charge locations, thereby eliminating all the problems with their billing system and failure to activate chargers.

It has nothing to do with "owners of most charging stations". It's about not massively frustrating new EV owners who are taking their first EV road trips and relying on the EA charging network.

Damage control.

Free = defacto Plug & Charge = 90% of the problems with the chargers are temporarily eliminated.

Bingo. Having the stations on free vend eliminates all of the problems that people encounter during the authorization process - dead card readers, app problems and other payment problems. I'd be curious to see numbers on how much more reliable the network is in free vend compared to normal, paid operation.

Last edited:
You've misunderstood polyphonic's point. They are saying that 90% of the problems that EV owners attempting to use the EA chargers experience are due to failures/difficulties with the payment system. Since Labor Day weekend is traditionally a heavy travel day, EA expects a high level of usage on their chargers. By making them free, they have effectively turned all their locations into Plug & Charge locations, thereby eliminating all the problems with their billing system and failure to activate chargers.

It has nothing to do with "owners of most charging stations". It's about not massively frustrating new EV owners who are taking their first EV road trips and relying on the EA charging network.
Does EA offer free charging to help EV owners escape the path of destruction of storms or such?

Reactions: FlatSix911
It'd be curious to see numbers on how much more reliable the network is in free vend compared to normal, paid operation.
So, you're saying you hope all of the stations get the message, via their faulty network, that they should be providing free service to all cars . . .
My biggest complaint about these charging networks is that when I call them to try to get a charging session started on a faulty system (fob, app, card reader, network, etc doesn't wor), which is waaaaay tooooo often, they waste about 5 minutes verifying who I am and what my account is, before they start trying to troubleshoot their faulty chargers. I would much prefer that they first spend my time getting their faulty chargers to work, then figure out whether I'm legit or not. They can always stop the charging session if I find out that I'm not be legit later. It would only cost them a little bit but they would buy a lot of good will.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911

"The opening of the Supercharger network in Europe makes sense for Tesla and will be the easiest implementation for other automakers.
EVs in Europe are equipped with CCS charge ports and will be able to use Tesla’s multi-port Superchargers that also have CCS plugs,
unlike those in North America that only feature Tesla’s proprietary charge port."

Yes I understood that. The problem is that the owner of the parking lot does not own or care about the charger, regardless whether it is free or not. Just because the charger is temporarily free does not mean it works, negotiates the hand shake, has power, etc.

The lot owner does not report the problem because he doesn’t earn anything. A gas station knows when the pumps stop working he loses a lot of business.

Reactions: cwerdna
I can now personally vouch for the fact that EA chargers in free-vend mode are more reliable than when payment is required. I previously attempted to charge at the new EA site at the Mountain View, CA Walmart. I could not get the session to initiate and charge my JdeMO equipped RAV4 EV. I went back yesterday while it was in free-vend mode and it started right up.

I can also testify that even though the CHAdeMO is marked "50kW" the two BTC 150kW CCS+CHAdeMO pedestals I used at two different sites could both deliver 200A through the CHAdeMO cable.

I can now personally vouch for the fact that EA chargers in free-vend mode are more reliable than when payment is required. I previously attempted to charge at the new EA site at the Mountain View, CA Walmart. I could not get the session to initiate and charge my JdeMO equipped RAV4 EV. I went back yesterday while it was in free-vend mode and it started right up.

I can also testify that even though the CHAdeMO is marked "50kW" the two BTC 150kW CCS+CHAdeMO pedestals I used at two different sites could both deliver 200A through the CHAdeMO cable.

Is 200A the limit of the CHAdeMO interface on the RAV4 (and I'd assume, similarly equipped Roadsters)?