Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure. For about the last two years, I've been keeping a data set of how many Electrify America stations are listed on Plugshare, and how many fall into each Plugscore tier. Plugscore is a Yelp-style review of how reliable the station is, with something like 10 is "don't worry about driving up and getting a charge quickly", 7 to 8 is "you might have some issues but should be able to get a charge" and by 5 or 6 the station may be acting up in general or for specific models, and should either be avoided or have an alternative in mind. Stations are rated 0 when they first open until they get several (like, 5-10) reviews, and AIUI it's hard for a station that's actually been reviewed to get any lower than a 1, so a 0 almost always means "new, not yet rated".

These are plots of the recorded breakdowns in the station scores--the plot on the upper left labeled "Overall" shows the simple plot of how many stations are rated 10, then above it how many more are rated 9, then how many are 8, and so on down to 0, with the top line being the total number listed on Plugshare, basically just a stacked plot of this:
View attachment 674831
If you look at the upper left plot, you'll see the bottom band on the right is about 330, then above it the second band ends at (334+90), the one above that is (334+90+76), and so on--so you can see both the overall growth, and also how the different band of Plugscore contribute to that.

The upper right plot is the same data, but normalized--so instead of simply saying there's 334 stations that have a score of 10, it says there's 334/629 = 53% of the stations that are currently rated as ten, so you can see more clearly how each band contributes to whatever the current total is without the change in total swamping the differences.

The lower left plot is the same method as the upper right, but excluding all of the "0" rated stations (so the total is 629-44, not 629 for the most recent data point). Stations hang out at 0 until enough people come by to rate them, which can mean a working station in a low-traffic area waits a long time at 0 before suddenly jumping to its proper score--especially with fewer people traveling for holidays during the pandemic. Excluding those gives some useful data, so I also plot the stacks this way.

The final chart is a weighted average. Basically, it multiplies each tier's value by its relative frequency in the data set (e.g. 10*0.53=5.3) and then sums those values to give the "average" station's plugscore for the network as a whole. I calculate this both for the entire network (the blue line) and for the network excluding those stations rated 0 (the green line), which again as noted are mostly just stations which haven't gotten enough reviews to be rated yet. The red line is the percentage of stations with a non-zero plugscore below 5 (e.g. 3 of 629 in my 6/11 data point). This number of "flaky" stations being low indicates stations are generally in good working order and any persistent issues are being resolved and not building up.

The TLDR is that EA continues to open an average of about 0.5 stations per day (about 3/week), while also making improvements in their overall network reliability. They have continued room for improvement, but the situation continues to improve.

Love the concept, but I do not see any attachment to look at. There is only a 2kb holder graphic, with no content.

Love the concept, but I do not see any attachment to look at. There is only a 2kb holder graphic, with no content.
This is the one image from that post, which should be a section from my spreadsheet:

The other four referenced plots were in the original post:

Got it, thanx
This is the one image from that post, which should be a section from my spreadsheet:

The other four referenced plots were in the original post:

Nice!

One thing to note about Plugshare ratings, and I think this gives Electrify America an advantage in graphs like this, is people generally give a positive checkin even if they had to switch plugs or stalls a few times to get it. I certainly have given virtually all positive checkins despite a lot of annoyance (compared to the Superchargers).

Another thing that I have seen less frequently is people will write "150" or "350" in the max kilowatts entry because the stations deliver either of those as the maximum output. They think Plugshare is asking which type of charger they used, but it's really asking how much power was the charger giving for that session.

Anecdotally, I think they are getting better. More sessions are starting within about 10-20 seconds. In my last 20 sessions, 14 or so gave about maximum power without a lot of fuss (maybe switching stalls once or twice, but I can't recall), 5 gave reduced power (100-120 kW, big difference in time with the inefficient e-tron), and 1 took about 45 minutes to start. This stop included calls to Electrify America and trying 6 (!) stalls. Sessions in late 2020/early 2021 were ugly.

All in all, I am beginning to trust that it will work without much hassle. I wouldn't hesitate to go on long trips.

On the flip side many of the negative ratings are related to the CHAdeMO chargers. They seem to be a lot less reliable. Possibly because they typically have only one per site, and maybe haven't tested them as much considering it's a dying standard. If you look through the PlugShare checkins most of the failed attempts are related to CHAdeMO.

I've been using EA chargers for over a year around Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona with non-Tesla EV's. I've come across a couple of bad chargers but I've been able to charge every time without ever having to call customer service. I've been pretty happy overall, but it does seem certain areas of the country (East coast in particular) have more issues.

Reactions: DrDabbles
If you look through the PlugShare checkins most of the failed attempts are related to CHAdeMO.
This could be because most of the cars use CHAdeMO, most of all Teslas which make up the vast majority of EVs actually out on the road.
I've certainly had enough fails when I got fits of ambition and tried to use a CHAdeMo. They have been getting better though.

On the flip side many of the negative ratings are related to the CHAdeMO chargers. They seem to be a lot less reliable. Possibly because they typically have only one per site, and maybe haven't tested them as much considering it's a dying standard. If you look through the PlugShare checkins most of the failed attempts are related to CHAdeMO.

I've been using EA chargers for over a year around Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona with non-Tesla EV's. I've come across a couple of bad chargers but I've been able to charge every time without ever having to call customer service. I've been pretty happy overall, but it does seem certain areas of the country (East coast in particular) have more issues.

That's interesting, I haven't come across many Leaf/CHAdeMO checkins, but that could be a regional difference.

I just got back this evening from a 1200 mile round trip in my e-tron. On the way there is was a complete mess. Every station but one had issues. On the way there we had a stopover at a hotel due to logistical reasons. We arrived at the last charge stop before the hotel around midnight and could not get any charger to initiate. They all had lost networking -- but also refused to go into free vend mode. After about 30 minutes (15 of which were with EA phone support), we started to charge. The remaining stops were similarly bad.

The way back? Perfect. Each one started within seconds and delivered full rate, or pretty close.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
At EA sites? Is congestion currently an issue for them? Maybe there are some locations that get significantly heavier usage, but at the 2 or 3 that I somewhat regularly drive by I've never seen more than a single car charging at any one time.

That seems reasonable. I’m often reading about only a single charger being operational at any one time. ;)

Wow, VW was caught cheating on emissions and now they will reap a $1B windfall from EA. :confused:

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Volkswagen is to sell a stake in its electric vehicle charging unit Electrify America, two people familiar with the matter said,
as the carmaker looks for outside funds to build infrastructure for battery-powered cars.

Volkswagen is working with Citi to look for a co-investor that is prepared to inject roughly $1 billion into the division, the people said, adding that the company is expected to shortly reach out to infrastructure groups and other potential investors. Volkswagen, Electrify America and Citi declined to comment.

Set up in the aftermath of Volkswagen's emissions cheating scandal that broke in the United States, Electrify America plans to spend $2 billion in the 2017-2026 period to expand charging stations for electric vehicles (EV).

Getting another entity to invest additional money in EA to support further growth of the network on its way to becoming a sustainable independent company will not have any "windfall" effect on VW. It will actually dilute their ownership stake, reducing their future profits. Of course, whether an independent charging company can ever be profitable dispensing electricity is a separate discussion. I suspect that other business models like combining charging hubs with convenience stores and a restaurant would be more profitable.

I think that this could be good as long as the stake is bought by someone who actually wants it to succeed. Hopefully, it will be an ICE manufacturer who actually wants to survive but hasn't been able to bring themselves to buy into Tesla's Supercharger network. Hopefully, it will NOT be bought by an oil company or other entity intent on killing it.

I suspect that other business models like combining charging hubs with convenience stores and a restaurant would be more profitable.
I assume that’s part of their business plan as charging sites scale up when more EVs are on the road. There may also be adequate money to be made from simple high-use urban charging sites.

Thanks to SageBrush for noticing and posting this: Electrify America Excludes CHAdeMO in Investment Cycle 3 - My Nissan Leaf Forum. I gave my 2 cents there...

There was a bit in the thread quoted from an EA document that I found interesting:

Electrify America said:
In addition, whereas historically a CHAdeMO adapter was the only way to fast charge Tesla vehicles outside of the Supercharger network, in late-2020 Setec Power released a CCS to Tesla adapter (Moloughney, 2020), thereby unlocking CCS chargers to interested Tesla drivers.

Unfortunately, the link to the document didn't work for me, so I can't check it in more depth. This sounds like implicit support for using the Setec CCS adapter on EA equipment, though, which contrasts with EVgo, which has issued a CYA statement that discourages/forbids (I don't recall the precise wording) use of the Setec CCS adapter at EVgo stations. Of course, it's entirely possible that EA could reverse course on this and officially say that the Setec CCS adapter is unwelcome at its stations in the future.

Unfortunately, the link to the document didn't work for me, so I can't check it in more depth.

Sorry about that. Here is the correct URL

By the way, you can circumvent dummies like me that post broken links in the future by searching for some of the quoted text. Put the copied text inside ' ' to force Google to search for a literal string

Last edited:
Reactions: srs5694