Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America is CHEAPER than Superchargers in TN and GA, and some parts of Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And of course, the per minute rate, or per kwh rate, is not an issue when driving an S. All my charging stops are free. And few and far between with a 400-mile range. Sure, the initial cost is higher, but the extra room and the level of comfort and luxury make it a better choice if you can afford it. Wifey's 3 sits in the garage for weeks while we take the S everywhere.

Couldn't have afforded one myself if not for Tesla stock, which rose 4000% from initial purchase.
Free unlimited super charging is wonderful.

Savings from my 5,300 mile road trip last month…

Attachments

• FC3EC221-08CF-4A0C-BCCF-80DDD675C64E.png
    FC3EC221-08CF-4A0C-BCCF-80DDD675C64E.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: gtae07

I tested this out, across a 2400 mile road trip, and yep. It's SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper at EA vs Tesla.

So when Tesla opens up their network to other vehicles, people won’t swarm to the Tesla network due to cost. I’m okay with that.

My 2018 Model 3 is not configured for CCS charging. Does anybody know what it costs from Tesla to change or add the circuit board that allows it to use the CCS adapter?
Enjoy the thread below.

TLDR: No, Tesla does not offer that at this time but a user on here has had great success with a "bundle of wires" and a new ECU (purchased from Tesla parts) to retrofit older Tesla's.

Reactions: windgrins
And of course, the per minute rate, or per kwh rate, is not an issue when driving an S. All my charging stops are free. And few and far between with a 400-mile range. Sure, the initial cost is higher, but the extra room and the level of comfort and luxury make it a better choice if you can afford it. Wifey's 3 sits in the garage for weeks while we take the S everywhere.

Couldn't have afforded one myself if not for Tesla stock, which rose 4000% from initial purchase.
400 miles is great. That would get me from my House in Kentucky to Dalton Ga with around 70 miles of range left.

Now that tesla is selling the adapter at $250, I am looking at this move to have a CCS option for roadtrips. I go to places where Superchargers aren't as available (Pensacola, FL for example). Any change in opinion on this topic in the past 6 months? The math seems to suggest about 7-10k road trip miles to break even on the cost of the adapter.

Now that tesla is selling the adapter at $250, I am looking at this move to have a CCS option for roadtrips. I go to places where Superchargers aren't as available (Pensacola, FL for example). Any change in opinion on this topic in the past 6 months? The math seems to suggest about 7-10k road trip miles to break even on the cost of the adapter.
I personally never agreed with the math as it was entirely subjective based upon how much you drive, where you drive, and what superchargers you use the most on each and every trip. At best it ended up being an immaterial difference IMO. Supercharger prices have also went down in the past month or so. Additionally, EA, EVGo, etc. are extremely unreliable and stations are routinely offline or full or at worst, both of those things.

Also two superchargers are coming to the Pensacola area soon - one in Gulf Breeze and one in Pensacola proper.

Reactions: josahua and RTPEV

I never expect to break even on the CCS adapter I purchased, but it gives me options.

I recently took a 4,000+ mile road trip from NC to Colorado, and the adapter helped in the following ways.
  1. On the drive out, I didn't have to detour into Nashville at all, because I could use the EA station right off the I-24 in Clarksville, TN, on the way to my first nightly stop in Paducah, KY.
  2. When going from Pueblo, CO, over into the San Luis Valley to visit Great Sand Dunes National Park, I stopped at a diner with a 50kW CCS charger to "top up the tank" so that I would have plenty of charge to go over the pass and explore that day. (There is also a new CCS charger in Alamosa, where my hotel was but I didn't need it because the hotel had Level 2 charger for overnight.)
  3. On the way back east, I intentional preferred EA stations in 4 cases, because they were slightly cheaper and more convenient than nearby superchargers:
    1. Santa Rosa, NM
    2. Tucumcari, NM
    3. Little Rock, AR
    4. Forrest City, AR

Looks like no one re-visited this thread after EA upped their pricing to 48¢/kWh making even the average California highway Supercharger cheaper. Or if you wanna pay $4/mo you gotta full charge several times each month to pay that off before you start saving.

Not saying Superchargers are cheap, just don't buy the OP's idea that CCS is. California has quite a lotta FREE CCS (Thanks CALTrans and LADWP) that makes it easy to pay off your CCS adapter quickly, after that it's all gravy.

• Informative
Reactions: vanjwilson
Looks like no one re-visited this thread after EA upped their pricing to 48¢/kWh making even the average California highway Supercharger cheaper. Or if you wanna pay $4/mo you gotta full charge several times each month to pay that off before you start saving.

Not saying Superchargers are cheap, just don't buy the OP's idea that CCS is. California has quite a lotta FREE CCS (Thanks CALTrans and LADWP) that makes it easy to pay off your CCS adapter quickly, after that it's all gravy.

EA CCS is still cheaper in TN and Georgia than the vast majority of Superchargers. Im still taking advantage of CCS and saving a decent bit even after the price increasses.

In GA does EA have a fixed kWh price or is it dynamic and vary from site to site? The SC prices varies from site to site and can change depending on the time of day.
EA uses a single nationwide fee schedule. In GA they are still charging per minute. (For a Tesla $0.37/min or $0.29/min if you subscribe.) Tesla changed to per kWh pricing a little while ago, so they are probably cheaper during off-peak times now.