Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even funnier than the myriad of responses here, check out all of the different media spins on this. The difference is where we are saying "maybe they will do XXXX" the various articles make definitive statements that sound so authorative I was wondering if I'd missed some more tweets from Elon. One of them I just read informed me that Tesla may be able to wirelessly add new features to the car in the future! Is that even possible? :)

I disagree...once I start factoring in additional HOURS to my road trip, it becomes an issue. For example, I live in NorCal and I am going this weekend to SoCal. It would add a good 90min of additional waiting around to make that trip in my Model S vs my ICE. I love it for my daily vehicle around the bay and have no problem with range for an entire day of driving locally. When I think about an already 5.5hr drive becoming 7 to 8 hrs, its an issue....I don't think I'm alone in this thought, except for maybe on this site...I might see 20 MS cars in a Bay Area commute; however, driving to Orange County down the i5, if I see one its a rare moment.

Okay, so you're disappointed by the amount of time charging takes, even with Supercharging.

That's understandable, to an extent. It is not, however, range anxiety. Range Anxiety is the "will I make it?" aspect, and having lots of charging stations and/or effective prediction and trip planning algorithms addresses this.

It may not make the S your favorite car for road trips, but it would eliminate anxiety. (And I think it'd make for a great road trip. But as always, YMMV. :) )

I disagree...once I start factoring in additional HOURS to my road trip, it becomes an issue. For example, I live in NorCal and I am going this weekend to SoCal. It would add a good 90min of additional waiting around to make that trip in my Model S vs my ICE. I love it for my daily vehicle around the bay and have no problem with range for an entire day of driving locally. When I think about an already 5.5hr drive becoming 7 to 8 hrs, its an issue....I don't think I'm alone in this thought, except for maybe on this site...I might see 20 MS cars in a Bay Area commute; however, driving to Orange County down the i5, if I see one its a rare moment.

While it may take a little longer, I believe you can make it Livermore to Hawthorne/?? SC destination with one charge. The average gas stop is 12 minutes. If you consider all of the gas stops that you have avoided during your local driving, you will have spent less time charging than you would have filling your tank with gasoline... I gladly trade a little longer on the distance trips (abiet not much) for the convenience of not having to feed the beast from the gas station.

Agreed about charge times! But from a different angle.

IMHO one of the biggest things preventing ICE drivers buying EVs is the waiting time to charge, when it takes them a few minutes at a petrol station.

If somehow the update brought charge times down to 10mins that would dramatically increase demand.

Hang on... http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/42492-Elon-s-demand-secret-weapon-what-is-it maybe its the secret weapon he mentioned. :wink:

Reduction Ad Absurdum: You can have 2 worlds:

a) You have SuperChargers every 5 mile throughout the world, as common as gas stations, but they take 1 hour to charge.
-or-
b) You have a SuperCharger that can recharge a Model S in 2 minutes, but there's only 10 of them in the world.

One scenario completely solves range anxiety, the other one doesn't.

Last edited:
This forum is really good at figuring these things out.

So now - please - someone show me, which of these 440+ answers are correct.

Thursday we will know. And in hindsight we will say:

"This forum is really good at figuring these things out."

I'm sure it's here somewhere.

That's the advantage to making all of these guesses now. Most likely one of them is somewhat close to correct. :)

While it may take a little longer, I believe you can make it Livermore to Hawthorne/?? SC destination with one charge. The average gas stop is 12 minutes. If you consider all of the gas stops that you have avoided during your local driving, you will have spent less time charging than you would have filling your tank with gasoline... I gladly trade a little longer on the distance trips (abiet not much) for the convenience of not having to feed the beast from the gas station.

I agree. Plus, if you plan around having a meal on the trip, it would further negate the difference between the MS and an ICE.

Agreed about charge times! But from a different angle.

IMHO one of the biggest things preventing ICE drivers buying EVs is the waiting time to charge, when it takes them a few minutes at a petrol station.

If somehow the update brought charge times down to 10mins that would dramatically increase demand.

Hang on... http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/42492-Elon-s-demand-secret-weapon-what-is-it maybe its the secret weapon he mentioned. :wink:

Charge times at supercharger = refuel times at ICE petrol/gas stations :smile:

I suppose the battery swap station could claim to help there. They may open Harris Ranch soon, and mention more to come.

But my bet would be on a nav update that includes making it obvious where you need to charge next when you plan a trip or start to get low enough on charge that you need to visit a close one soon.

I suppose the battery swap station could claim to help there. They may open Harris Ranch soon, and mention more to come.

But my bet would be on a nav update that includes making it obvious where you need to charge next when you plan a trip or start to get low enough on charge that you need to visit a close one soon.

That would not benefit the entire fleet though, not everyone has nav.

Range Anxiety is the "will I make it?" aspect, and having lots of charging stations and/or effective prediction and trip planning algorithms addresses this.
^^^This^^^

I predict (and hope) it will also include proactive warnings and routing to nearby chargers when charge is running low EVEN IF no destination is set. And I predict/hope it will include L2 chargers of any type. L2 charging may be slow, but if all you need is enough to get home or to the nearest supercharger, it shouldn't take long.

^^^This^^^

I predict (and hope) it will also include proactive warnings and routing to nearby chargers when charge is running low EVEN IF no destination is set. And I predict/hope it will include L2 chargers of any type. L2 charging may be slow, but if all you need is enough to get home or to the nearest supercharger, it shouldn't take long.

Again, routing wouldn't effect the entire fleet.

That would not benefit the entire fleet though, not everyone has nav.

That might change. Tesla recently updated the design studio, and under the new version, turn by turn GPS Navigation is standard even without the tech package. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the firmware coming out after Thursday's announcement unlocks GPS Nav on all Model Ss.

That might change. Tesla recently updated the design studio, and under the new version, turn by turn GPS Navigation is standard even without the tech package. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the firmware coming out after Thursday's announcement unlocks GPS Nav on all Model Ss.

Just my personal opinion but I don't think they would do that as it wouldn't be fair to the users who shelled out for it but we shall see...

Just my personal opinion but I don't think they would do that as it wouldn't be fair to the users who shelled out for it but we shall see...

The really, really classy move by Tesla would be to enable NAV on all cars and then reimburse everyone who bought the tech package with something, such as one extra free scheduled service, perhaps a "coupon" on accesories or what-not.