Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yea i wonder if it takes into account my 400-450Wh/mi driving. even with the new nav software in 6.1, if i start out at 90% and it says I should arrive at 60%, i usually arrive with more like 43-46%....by the time the pop up shows it might already be too late.

Q: Will Tesla's new software take into account stop and go traffic, air conditioning use?

A: It takes into account useage of AC --- not a huge factor (8-10%) -- and then factoring in energy useage that the car is seeing.

It's what many of us were hoping for. The car, even my 2012 Sig, continues to get better and better.

It's better to stay grounded in reality and not get swept up by the hype and fantasy ideas that a lot of folks like to throw out there.

Yes, but what was announced this morning is what's already expected. Not worth the tweet and the monumental build up to this release. D warranted it. This doesn't even come close.

Sorry, can you link to the specific text? I saw the elevation reference in the press conference but not terrain or weather in the press release.

It doesn't take traffic into account, so can't imagine it would take weather into account:

"Q: Will car predit traffic too with Range Assurance?
A: Not integrated directly, but it's not a big factor. Car already uses traffic to predict arrival time."

Don't know what you mean by terrain though, if not elevation?

Quite surprised at the negative reaction here. This is a nice set of advancements, heck even the "it's ok to leave the supercharger now" messages are enough to make me happy.

The problem is people here are coming at it from the wrong angle. Nobody here has "range anxiety", so a tweet from Elon saying he will end range anxiety by definition would have little impact on the people here. His tweet and today's announcement are meant for the ignorant non-EV drivers who are scared of running out of range, and not knowing where/when to charge. This update absolutely DOES address that.

Sorry, can you link to the specific text? I saw the elevation reference in the press conference but not terrain or weather in the press release.

Nevermind. Just saw it come through on the press conference feed:

Musk says Trip Planner will factor in weather, outside temperature, traffic, long climbs, headwinds, all in its estimation for range. Real-time updates on weather and windspeed come from the internet with "accuracy down to the one-percent level."

This is a huge step forward, eliminates some of the mental math and estimation needed during the drive.

The problem is people here are coming at it from the wrong angle. Nobody here has "range anxiety", so a tweet from Elon saying he will end range anxiety by definition would have little impact on the people here. His tweet and today's announcement are meant for the ignorant non-EV drivers who are scared of running out of range, and not knowing where/when to charge. This update absolutely DOES address that.

Perhaps no one here has range "anxiety" per se. But I will admit that long roadtrips require more planning and effort and guesswork than is comfortable in an ICE vehicle. This update basically eliminates all that for me.

If a 1% drop is your definition of "TANKING" then yep, I guess you're right.

tesla_range_anxiety.png

What is amazing is the enormously high expectations we all have of Tesla vehicles vs. ICE cars. It's like some of us want the darn Model S to become a transformer or something. I mean, really, these updates are crazy good for the industry they are in, and the fact that they come free and over-the-air is just that much more awesome. We don't even expect this of ICE cars where the latest innovations come yearly and include maybe a cool cup-holder or better leather. My ICE car never got better, only got worse and older after I drove it off the dealership floor.

I'm guessing the trip planning will show time needed to charge based on having the charging stack to yourself and not plugging in right after someone else and getting the slow charge for a while?

What would be really cool would be for the car to tell you which stall will give you the highest rate as you pull in. Sure you can eyeball it, but sometimes if all pairs have a car on them, there is no way to tell who just plugged in and who is almost done. That alone could chop 10 minutes or so off a stop.

Edit: One thing I actually did once on a hot day, and it worked, was to look at the ground in front of the plugged in cars and see which one had the most water running out from under the car thinking that one would have been there the longest.

+1000000

This is a decent point release of software with a good mix of autopilot and non-autopilot features. The trip management stuff will help win sales, help convince naysayers, and make me much more relaxed when my wife takes the car on a long trip.

The fact that I am experienced at planning my own trips with a spreadsheet and evtripplanner.com doesn't mean that this isn't valuable stuff.

What is amazing is the enormously high expectations we all have of Tesla vehicles vs. ICE cars. It's like some of us want the darn Model S to become a transformer or something. I mean, really, these updates are crazy good for the industry they are in, and the fact that they come free and over-the-air is just that much more awesome. We don't even expect this of ICE cars where the latest innovations come yearly and include maybe a cool cup-holder or better leather. My ICE car never got better, only got worse and older after I drove it off the dealership floor.

No good deed goes unpunished, afterall.

No he does not. Short term quick profit investors have the attention span of a gnat. I don't care about them. I am a long term investor. Today's software announcement was a major improvement to the car and deserved the focus that Tesla is giving it.

This.

My nearly 2 yr old car just got better for free. First time in my 25 years of owning cars that has ever happened.

I'll continue to ignore idjit media and investors who can't be bothered to fact check/and or blame others for their own faulty assumptions.