Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice the screen in the press release, showing 'almost out of range' to the Big Sur chargers - that implies there is a bigger database of chargers than just ones you have previously used and Superchargers - I wonder which database they are using - is it the 'Find Us' set?

By the way - where is the V7 speculation thread? :scared:

Sure... but the MEDIA widely reported that there was to be some improvement in range. That's not an unreasonable conclusion to draw from his statements. He should have been a bit more specific in what he said to not raise those expectations / hopes, even if most of us knew it was pretty darned unlikely.

Range Anxiety = "will I get stuck on the side of the road with no charge remaining, and have to call a tow truck?"

This is basically almost never going to happen again anymore willingly, because the car will pro-actively tell you before you go out of range of all chargers reachable. And will be made available via an OTA update.

This was exactly all that was promised. All the autopilot, v7.0, etc tidbits were a bonus.

Not sure why you think it was reasonable to conclude Tesla was hiding a significant battery capacity or efficiency updates from its customers. He was pretty specific about what he said, and it was exactly what he announced.

Nice updates. Does not help my drastically reduced range in cold weather. I do not have range anxiety, but my range awareness-o-meter tells me I need to take an ICE car for a trip to Minneapolis whenever 10F or below (~180 miles return trip). This will only change when superchargers become really ubiquitous.

That's it? An alarm is going to "end range anxiety"? Elon needs to run these tweets past a PR person in the future.

And past a lawyer:

17:30twitter.png facebook.png
Musk: Any restaraunt, business which has Model S owners can get charging equipment for free, provided they put it in a prominent place.

I 'm calling the nearest SC to come and install one now! Even in tiny Belgium there are around 250,000 businesses so they will have some work in the next weeks, with EM making statements like that :smile:

So true. It's like the parent who's kid gets 95% on a math exam and the response from the parent is "HOW DID YOU MISS THE LAST 5%?!"

Mine was a French exam. Expectations got set by having an older sibling who got 98 or 99.

To be honest, I'd have been cursing _myself_ for only getting 95% on a math exam.

My only real disappointment is that they didn't announce anything about being able to do the trip calculation from an app. I get not having to plan the route, but if you're going somewhere and might need to charge you're going to need to add time. I guess they're trying to say that it's as easy as a gasser. For now at least, I'll be interested to see peoples experiences once they have 6.2. (Including the driver assist improvements. No scaring people, please.).

And if they had given everybody more range, they'd just go faster. A friend of mine drives 100 mph (just because he can, I guess) just so he arrives at the SC before he hits zero. If he had more range, he'd try for 105. Everything I read on this forum, people want more range so they can drive even further over the speed limit. Must. Get. There. Faster.

I know not everyone is like that, but when I have lots of range, I drive faster, too. When jumping from charger to distant charger, I'm in the slow lane.

I would settle for being able to finally drive the speed limit. On most trips I need to go between 5 and 15 kph below the limit. This was a difficult adjustment for me since I was one of those Must.Get.There.Faster people when I had an ICE.

Yes. My mind is boggled that the use of real-time weather (note that the comment separates weather, temperature and wind) isn't mentioned in the Press Kit. Just needs 1 line. I fear that articles written about the announcement won't even mention it.

I wonder what service the car will use to acquire this info? Many places around here do not have dedicated weather service, for example. Would the car use the next closest place? Will it warn you if no info is available?

It's also interesting that the press kit coverage map includes Canada as part of the US...