Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason I think its a power limiting feature on the motor, similar to ICE cylinder deactivation. So for example, instead of a regular p85 having 470 hp at all times, there's some "cruise" or "eco" mode that says you can run on 200 HP or something while cruising. I think this feature is good for P85D's who don't need all the bananas in your face power ALL THE TIME.

Most of the speculations don't make sense.

We have 4 factors:
1- The news will affect all Model S owners: 40kWh, 60kWh, and 85kWh (Single or "D"uel motor); w/tech and wo/tech.
* Can't be a free access for 40 or 60kWh owners.
* Can't be something related to the navigation.
* Can't be a better supercharging performance (you excluded 40 and 60kWh cars, and this can't help with range anxiety, it helps with waiting time only)
2- Something that can be done through a software update only.
* Can't be an extension to the current battery, or battery swap.

3- Something that is not limited to a geographic location.
* More SC stations all of a sudden worldwide is impossible and has nothing to do with an OTA.

4- It must be big to require a press conference.

With the factors we have, it must be a new optimization to the software that optimizes the battery energy somehow to be able to provide more range on highway driving. They must have discovered something while working on the duel motors.
Looking at it from a software prospective, it could be possible. But I'm sure there are limitations in physics... I don't know... :confused:

I agree that this is the most plausible explanation. The connection with an OTA update means that the end effect will have to be realized on hardware that is (1) substantially common to all Model S (2) directly related to range and (3) can be operated differently with a firmware change: battery and motor.

I'm just going with much improved navigation software. Once it knows your destination, it can route you optimally, telling you exactly where to stop for charging and for how long. It could even factor in temperature and traffic, and also other cars already at or being routed to superchargers. This would be significant.

^^ this.

Elon is the king of hyperbole. He made the TV talk show rounds last year saying what a great feature it will be to name your car. Did anyone consider that a great, or even "neat", feature? Totally useless! Yet Elon hyped it like it was sliced bread. I think this is going to be a press conference because Tesla needs to reverse the recent spate of bad news. It's not about the gravity of the update that he's talking about, it's the fact that he wants to counter the negative news cycle.

If I had tonnes of range I would never worry.

You would still worry, but the point at which you worry would be shifted farther down the line. If Tesla adds another 50 miles of range, your point of anxiety would simply be shifted by 50 miles. Range does not solve range anxiety. The anxiety stems from not knowing if you'll make it to your destination due to a fewer charge points along the way compared to, say, gas stations. You solve the anxiety by giving owners solid information about how long it's going to take to get where they are going, including detouring to chargers along the way. Maybe also a small tweak to the Range Mode algorithm, but nothing earth shattering. And a subtle shift in the news cycle thanks to a clever press conference by Elon.

^^ this.

Elon is the king of hyperbole. He made the TV talk show rounds last year saying what a great feature it will be to name your car. Did anyone consider that a great, or even "neat", feature? Totally useless! Yet Elon hyped it like it was sliced bread. I think this is going to be a press conference because Tesla needs to reverse the recent spate of bad news. It's not about the gravity of the update that he's talking about, it's the fact that he wants to counter the negative news cycle.

I was under the impression that not all Model S have GPS navigation.

Can someone clarify?

For some reason I think its a power limiting feature on the motor, similar to ICE cylinder deactivation. So for example, instead of a regular p85 having 470 hp at all times, there's some "cruise" or "eco" mode that says you can run on 200 HP or something while cruising.

Finally! The valet mode (er, hypermiler mode) is implemented! Trading my range anxiety for rear-ender anxiety.

Ending range anxiety is probably a bit of an over-the-top statement, but here are my thoughts:

1) Hypermilers often pulse their engines to stretch range. Apply a pulse input of power, then shut the engine off. We know that AC Induction motors require current to induce the magnetic field to enable the rotor to spin--so currently, when cruising on the highway, power is being continuously used.

Laptops are able to microsleep--essentially put processors to sleep for very short periods, when able--leading to significant battery power savings.

Based on what they've learned with the Ds, perhaps they've found a way to pulse the motor when significant changes in power are not required (such as when cruising on the highway) to improve efficiency. A way to torque sleep or microsleep the motor, even if you have just one. Perhaps it could potentially lead to "real" highway miles of 300+ for an 85?
Wow, Todd you are an electron pilot. I think this is the best theory on what might happen. Makes logical sense and its an OTA. Kudos TB!

Can someone clarify?

All Model Ss have GPS hardware. However, Navigation was only provided with the Tech Package historically. It appears to have been made a standard feature in one of the recent order page updates, however - so it is possible that Tesla will announce Thursday that they are rolling it out on all cars along with the waypoints and automatic supercharger routing. Maybe.
Walter

Elon is the king of hyperbole. He made the TV talk show rounds last year saying what a great feature it will be to name your car. Did anyone consider that a great, or even "neat", feature? Totally useless! Yet Elon hyped it like it was sliced bread.

Disagree. Seemed to me he revealed this minor part of the coming update off the cuff because he was constantly being pumped for info on what will be coming next. He said you'd be able to name your car and that's what you're able to do. What else did anyone expect it to be?

Can someone clarify?

All Model S have GPS navigation using the center navigation screen when there is an internet connection. Until recently, only those with the tech package had access to turn-by-turn navigation on the speedo as well as the ability to navigate when there is no active internet connection. In the last week or so, Tesla has made turn-by-turn navigation standard on all cars. This is also why I believe the announcement will be specific to the navigation because they have made it standard, implying that it will be a necessary tool for all drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla unlocked turn-by-turn navigation on non-tech cars. This would certainly impact the entire fleet and would add value to those who did not buy the tech package.

All Model Ss have GPS hardware. However, Navigation was only provided with the Tech Package historically. It appears to have been made a standard feature in one of the recent order page updates, however - so it is possible that Tesla will announce Thursday that they are rolling it out on all cars along with the waypoints and automatic supercharger routing. Maybe.
Walter

Thanks for the clarification!

A vastly improved navigation system and enabling nav on non-tech package vehicles would also therefore be plausible.

What does everybody think about the timing for the the implementation of whatever we're getting? Are we all going to have an update notice once the press conference concludes, or will this innovation/update come over time and in fragments like autopilot?

For some reason I think its a power limiting feature on the motor, similar to ICE cylinder deactivation. So for example, instead of a regular p85 having 470 hp at all times, there's some "cruise" or "eco" mode that says you can run on 200 HP or something while cruising. I think this feature is good for P85D's who don't need all the bananas in your face power ALL THE TIME.

You are aware that your are not using 470 hp at all times? And using 200 HP would be a lot, kW is a measure of power and horsepower is as well, and as you probably have noticed in your car you rarely go above 20-60 kW when just cruising.

Also since an electrical engine is so much more energy efficient than an ICE there is not much to play with, I doubt we will se a significant improvement in range, more likely some kind of navigation features that helps you plan out your trips in a way you don't get range anxiety.