Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think he tweeted, then will go through this thread and pick a good idea, and announce that Thursday. :p

Ooh, that's evil!

"We've been out of the news for too long, so let's announce something new."

"Okay, what do you think the people want?"

"I don't know. Let's announce an end to range anxiety, and see what all the folks on the forums come up with that we could reasonably do."

:)

It's certainly not a download, but I'd love to see an agreement with VW/Audi/Porche whereby the Germans agree to share the SC network and connection standard and plow in a pile of money to get it built out much faster and more completely.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, I attended the dual-motor insanity event in Denver this morning. At the tech talk, the speaker let slip that Supercharger-integrated nav is coming real soon now. His example was someone in Denver entering SF as their destination, then being routed there through SCs, including estimated charge times at each stop.

So I'd think that's a large part of this announcement.

That would be a major disappointment. I've got one SC within range (summer only) and routing tools are going to do squat to relieve my anxiety.

My guess: Destination charging. Much, much more of it.

I think it's noteworthy that this is a scheduled press announcement -- suggesting Elon wants the media present/listening. Many of the ideas speculated here would be handled silently in a software update, email to owners, or a blog post on TeslaMotors.com. So we want the media to take notice and the announcement is directed more to non-owners than current owners.

I won't recount the last 200 posts, but as others have stated, to suggest any method of increasing range does not eliminate range anxiety; it just pushes it farther out.

While the improved map/routing/charge options theory makes sense, I just don't see it as press announcement worthy.

I think it is a partnership. Expanded destination charging is kind of a yawn, but a partnership with another (international?) player might be the ticket. For example:
  • Walmart, including international brands -- over 11,453 in 27 countries
  • Best Western Hotels International -- over 4,000 hotels in 100 countries
  • McDonald's -- 35,000 in 119 countries

Now, those examples might be a bit ambitious, but you get the idea. I'm hoping for a partnership announcement of some sort.

Final thoughts: This will undoubtedly fuel the FUD reports of a lack of demand, whatever the announcement is.

Last edited:
it can only be one thing.

range calculation based on topography and weather, temperatur and perhaps wind.

this will give us a definitive answer if we can get to the destination, or if we need to change our plans

when you know you will reach your destination, or that you cant.. Then no more range anxiety.:)

It's certainly not a download, but I'd love to see an agreement with VW/Audi/Porche whereby the Germans agree to share the SC network and connection standard and plow in a pile of money to get it built out much faster and more completely.

- - - Updated - - -

That would be a major disappointment. I've got one SC within range (summer only) and routing tools are going to do squat to relieve my anxiety.

Sounds like you're range annoyed rather than range anxious.

I think it is a partnership. Expanded destination charging is kind of a yawn, but a partnership with another (international?) player might be the ticket. For example:
  • Walmart, including international brands -- over 11,453 in 27 countries
  • Best Western Hotels International -- over 4,000 hotels in 100 countries
  • McDonald's -- 35,000 in 119 countries

You get the idea. Now, those examples might be a bit ambitious, but you get the idea. I'm hoping for a partnership announcement of some sort.

Final thoughts: This will undoubtedly fuel the FUD reports of a lack of demand, whatever the announcement is.

Elon said OTA software update.. so how can this be a partnership?.

this will give us a definitive answer if we can get to the destination, or if we need to change our plans

when you know you will reach your destination, or that you cant.. Then no more range anxiety.:)

That wouldn't work unless it can also predict accidents, sudden traffic jams, detours, etc. It might help a bit. But it would not end range anxiety.

My guess: Destination charging. Much, much more of it.

This is the first post (page 19!) that was going where my mind was floating. OTA update to integrate a much larger, more reliable partner network. Immediately, I thought "20/22 kW charging at all Wal-Mart/Target", but you'd have to take that worldwide to impact entire fleet. Ah well.

Do you ever get the sense that Elon has an offsite with his top lieutenants. He sits down, opens a tab to TMC, another tab to Twitter. He hands his wine/beer to Jerome, says "hold my beer, watch this" and fires off a tweet...

Perhaps there were more of Nikola's inventions installed from the beginning that we don't know about. Elon had more in mind when he donated to the Tesla Museum, he wanted to bring the Wardenclyffe tower online. The OTA update will just enable the receiver.

Back to reality...

My personal experience with anxiety, of which I have many (range not one of them) is that it's caused by unknowns, not inconveniences.
That said, faster Supercharging wouldn't eliminate any major unknowns, any efficiency gains would undoubtedly be marginal and thus the anxiety reduction would be marginal.

The only thing that makes sense to me is improved navigation, including detailed and reasonably accurate information about range and charging locations. PlugShare integration was my first guess before I even started reading this thread. Though, AmpedRealtor made a good point about Tesla maintaining control of the information to prevent it from being a confusing and/or inaccurate mess. If I want to drive north in Michigan, a Supercharger update won't help one bit until they're built here, but showing me other public and shared stations will make the trip possible. Yes, I can pull up PlugShare on my phone, but it's not as convenient as it would be integrated with the car nav, especially if the car nav adds voice commands like "navigate to the nearest charging station".

I think it's got to be an evolution of torque sleep. Something a long the lines of continuously adjusting power and pulsing the power on and off at the millisecond level to save power. This would work with all motors. I'm sure it could be aggressive too like a super Eco mode where the peddle might be a big mushy to inputs.

Its a logical goal to strive for higher efficiencies.

Dont see why it has to be limited to highway either, just throttle position.

+1

Maybe they figured out how to eliminate the RF interference which hits motor efficiency at higher rpm.

Aren't we all missing the point here? What could be more fun than to speculate what our brilliant visionary has up his sleeve. But does it really make a difference? The fabulous thing is that, whatever it is, he did tell us it will be done OTA. What other group of car owners could be motivated to such excitement by the simple announcement of an OTA update—and isn't this one of the reasons we were all drawn to this fabulous car and its brilliant designer in the first place. No other car I am aware of can even attempt OTA improvements. Elon Musk...You Go, Boy!!!

I just hope that it happens soon after the announcement.

Imagine a partnership with freestanding Starbucks where they installed a few HPWCs around the nation on Tesla's dime. The saturation of those stores alone would exponentially increase the amount of charging stations while allowing us to caffeinate (removal of anxiety).

Now imagine that same partnership with some of those other, ubiquitous, well-saturated retail stores across the nation.

The software will be upgraded to eliminate any range prediction or charge left at destination. Voila! no more range anxiety.

That's exactly correct. This software update will tell you how much range you'll have left when you reach your destination that you've entered and selected route. Therefore NO range anxiety.

It will factor in the following:

Elevation change
Wind
Traffic
Temp
Desired speed (e.g, 5 MPH over speed limit... Adjustable)

this update/annoucement won't be about Superchargers or higher efficiency "sleep mode" or more battery range unlocked.

- - - Updated - - -

yep. You nailed it. I agree 100%