Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last time, Elon said he would "unveil the D, and something else". Something else was autopilot, but there was an awful lot of wild speculation beforehand.

Is he shooting for less speculation by not saying what will happen other than an OTA firmware release? Naw, he's not getting less speculation, and I think he likes it. Hmm.

In any event, Tesla has said for a long time that better trip estimation was coming, and knowing exactly how far your battery will get you is, of course, key to ending range anxiety. (Knowing where to charge up is really the only other piece you need). While the press conference seems reasonably likely to show something additional despite the lack of announcement, I do think there will be an enhancement to the navigation software, and I like Breser's idea that they will replace the in-car hardware navigation with something of their own making. That could explain why we went over 2 years without map updates; perhaps Tesla kept thinking they were close to releasing their own solution. The last firmware release was a really useful step forward, although of course there is far more they could do - multiple stop planning, alternate routes and better weather (especially wind) accounting being a few things I'd really like to see.

What if the map pre-calculated everywhere your car could get based on pack size and Superchargers, and shaded everything you could reach in red? (Something several steps above the 250-mile circles around Supercharger sites - calculated using speed limits, elevation, weather reports, etc). For double-bonus speculation, what if the entire rest of the continent you are on (or something close to that, depending on the continent) was shaded in gray, along with big gray dots at service centers (that are within the red zone) to show where you can get an enormous alumunium-air pack swapped in for a trip? (For a significant fee, of course).

I doubt that's likely (at least the a-a pack). But it would be pretty cool, and would set an awful lot of fears to rest. Of course, having made plenty of long Tesla trips, I already don't have any range anxiety, so I'm less looking for a cool feature for me and more hoping the announcement will help the masses take BEVs more seriously. As has been pointed out, an announcement like this isn't really targeting us owners.

Last edited:
Yes, the 1 billion route miles milestone isn't just co-incidence. Tesla will announce that they've data crunched 1B route miles under all weather conditions, car configurations and have folded all of this into an incredibly accurate trip estimator that also takes into account YOUR driving habits (speed) and traffic.

The ONLY way to "end range anxiety" is to be assured that you aren't going to run out of juice. A bigger battery or more range DOES NOT do this. An infallible trip planning system DOES do this.

And don't knock it as "just another nav update". If done right, this will be a quantum leap forward in functionality.

Yes, the 1 billion route miles milestone isn't just co-incidence. Tesla will announce that they've data crunched 1B route miles under all weather conditions, car configurations and have folded all of this into an incredibly accurate trip estimator that also takes into account YOUR driving habits (speed) and traffic.

The ONLY way to "end range anxiety" is to be assured that you aren't going to run out of juice. A bigger battery or more range DOES NOT do this. An infallible trip planning system DOES do this.

And don't knock it as "just another nav update". If done right, this will be a quantum leap forward in functionality.

A big part of my range anxiety is not just running out of juice, but the thought that I will have to use a level 2 charger (charging at a measly 17mph) for hours to get to my destination. So a new software that simply tells me about all the ridiculously slow level 2 chargers that I can use prior to my destination will not help my anxiety at all. It has to be more than this, either a metal-air range extender pack or Super-chargers everywhere, for my range anxiety to end.:crying:

I know this is not what is coming on Thursday, as it requires hardware... But wouldn´t it be pretty cool to have a peer-to-peer/car-to-car charging option (jumpstart), at least in areas with high Tesla density? Your car sends out an SOS to the swarm, and the closest cars get a message. If a driver agrees, he is routed to the Tesla in need of power. Would also create a sense of family. Could also make that a sign-up program where everyone who agrees to help others can get the same in return.

I know this is not what is coming on Thursday, as it requires hardware... But wouldn´t it be pretty cool to have a peer-to-peer/car-to-car charging option (jumpstart), at least in areas with high Tesla density? Your car sends out an SOS to the swarm, and the closest cars get a message. If a driver agrees, he is routed to the Tesla in need of power. Would also create a sense of family. Could also make that a sign-up program where everyone who agrees to help others can get the same in return.

I like this idea! Maybe it's already possible and only requires the cable. So would in fact be just enabled with OTA update... :)

+1

If you follow Musk's tweets and it's replies closely, you might know @John_Gardi

This is what he has to say:
Mark my words, this is more about accuracy MEASURING range than actually improving it. KNOWING the range ends anxiety.

I have not dissected, but logic says those posts are baloney and computer is the same. It would cost Tesla much more to ship different units, given low cost of components. I'd trust those who say it is software limited.

At least initially vehicles with the upgraded sound system had more storage as it was intended to allow users to put their music on the car. Nothing has happened with this and Tesla has not made any of that storage user accessible. So it's possible the reason people are saying that vehicles without the tech package but that do have the upgraded sound system can buy Nav is because Tesla has a way to use that storage for Nav. The navigation system has to take up some amount of storage to have offline maps. If that storage isn't there then they can't have offline maps. Of course my bet would be making online only nav available to those vehicles that don't have storage to hold the map data. The other alternative is improved compression of the map data to make it fit in any vehicle.

Last edited:
The reason Exxon, BP, or Shell would want to do this is simple: revenue. Tesla promised that all of the TESLA superchargers would be free. It did not promise that ALL superchargers (or 60kW chargers) would be free. If Exxon, BP, or Shell provided charging at a cost of, say 30 cents per kWh... they'd make money, and we'd use it (for a top-off when free charging is not an option). And we'd buy stuff at their mini-marts.

geez, you can't make a post here without someone else posting the same thing before you finish!
I've often pondered how the mega-oil corporations would handle a transition to world that doesn't worship the ICE! They must be strategizing in backrooms somewhere... they shouldn't be feeling panic just yet, but clearly their telescopes must have detected the massive asteroid headed their way... extinction is coming - how to evolve into a new animal that can survive is the question they have to answer. Marking up electricity is a possible option, so are the sales of slushies and chocolate bars - LOL. I can't visualize a model that will rake in the profits in the same way oil has done though. That has to be a concern for them!

The investment in oil and oil infrastructure is ridiculous. The impact of a transition to electricity on the economies of the world is far from trivial. When things tanked in 2008 I thought the time was right for governments to announce big job creation - economic stimulus programs based on green energy. A solar-panel-on-every-roof sort of thing. But obviously it didn't happen. I doubt if big oil would have allowed it even if the political will existed...

Speaking of McDonald's.....Just saw and read this article.

Not many people associate fast food with clean energy. But that’s exactly what one of the largest quick-service restaurants in the world is exploring. RMI recently completed a net-zero-energy study forMcDonald’s, which explores how to offset the energy consumption of an entire restaurant with renewable energy.
Efficiency and Renewables on the Menu for McDonald’s

+1

If you follow Musk's tweets and it's replies closely, you might know @John_Gardi

This is what he has to say:
Mark my words, this is more about accuracy MEASURING range than actually improving it. KNOWING the range ends anxiety.

Yes, I would put my money on this. Completely deliverable OTA, and can apply to entire MS fleet if Navigation is added to all vehicles, even non-tech, also just an OTA software issue.

With all due respect, you're making this into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Elon didn't say this is about charging infrastructure, he specifically said it's an OTA software update; yes, hypothesize about partnerships with organizations like Plugshare/ChargePoint/others but new hardware build-out is just fantasy. If anyone is expecting one of these hardware fantasy ideas to be revealed on Thursday then they will be disappointed.
But, but....... Oh man, we have to make sense here too? crap, another downer.
:tongue:

Anyone else notice that Bonnie is active in other threads, but conspicuously absent here? I don't believe she has posted to this thread. Perhaps some select few with Model X reservations know something? Seems to me to lend credence to Model X reveal...

RT

P.S. Apologies for any internet stalking related behavior :tongue: