Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: "Feature complete for full self driving this year"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly the largest mistake was including the word "autosteer" anywhere in those notes.

Remove it- and the entire text still reads the same, the entire feature operation works the same-(since TACC is always on during AS anyway)

But leave it in and they destroy their entire narrative about the operational domain of autosteer.

Looks like consistent with the FSD visualization preview showing stop lines for T intersections based on map data indicating the current road ends, stopping behavior shows a different message if it doesn't detect a stop sign.

t intersection.png

Test video with mixed results

The guy apparently does not know how to read. He says that the car got the update that "enables AP on city streets". I guess he meant to say "City NOA" but that is not this update. He clearly reads the release notes but still does not know that it is only traffic light response. He continues to try to enable NOA on city streets and is expecting the car to make turns on its own.

deja_q_hd_046_resized_6484.jpg

I’ve had the model 3 for 2 years and have a good perspective on the progress over the years. I got 2020.12.6 this morning and have driven about 150 miles with it. I drove through SF city streets down to south San Jose (65 miles each way) and through quite a bit of city traffic and back to SF. I thought it was brilliant. The 4 way stops in SF are so annoying with AP, with this it was magical. I find the right stalk press to be very seemless rather than the accelerator. Zero failures. The renderings seemed a little more clear and much better pedestrian visualization.

It also dodged a trench pot hole 100 foot in length on the left side of the lane at 75 mph. It gently moved to the rightmost side of the lane like a human would. It worked flawlessly in San Jose and even took a few left turns through intersections at full speed.

There were some minor cons: It seemed like NOA lane changes took longer to initiate after the blinker began. Lane changes also seemed a lot slower. Similar to how it’s been up until 3 months ago. Thats about all I could tell.

I’m very impressed by this update but like any other, you still must be very aware and ready to take over. I’m sure your mileage may vary depending on your geographic location and your personal opinions.

That looks really bad and dangerous. That is no where near reliable enough for autonomous driving.
Of course it isn't. That's why they call it "beta". It is still learning. Still evolving. You obviously aren't familiar with how Tesla evolves so much more quickly than all other OEMs. Just like Nav On Autopilot, this will get better and better in short order and will become a vital next step in the development of FSD. It's a process that the vast majority of Tesla owners are thrilled to be a part of. Me included. We are helping the system learn.

Dan

Reactions: NHK X and john5520
Of course it isn't. That's why they call it "beta". It is still learning. Still evolving. You obviously aren't familiar with how Tesla evolves so much more quickly than all other OEMs. Just like Nav On Autopilot, this will get better and better in short order and will become a vital next step in the development of FSD. It's a process that the vast majority of Tesla owners are thrilled to be a part of. Me included.

Dan

I've owned a Model 3 since 2018. I think I know how Tesla's software development works. I am simply responding to all the "fanboys", like the ones on Twitter, who are acting like this feature is just one step away from FSD. It isn't. Not yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I've owned a Model 3 since 2018. I think I know how Tesla's software development works. I am simply responding to all the "fanboys" who act like this feature is just one step away from FSD. It isn't. Not yet.
Understanding and supporting the process does not justify a derogatory label like "fanboy". Applauding and supporting these milestones is a positive position and should not be taken lightly.

Dan

Understanding and supporting the process does not justify a derogatory label like "fanboy". Applauding and supporting these milestones is a positive position and should not be taken lightly.

Dan

I apologize.

And yes, I support milestones and positive progress. But I also like to set the record straight. There is a big difference between acknowledging that it is a positive milestone and more work needs to be done (perfectly ok) and saying that AP can already take you anywhere you want on city streets and imply that L5 is going to happen soon (not ok).