Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon says that Neural Networks (NN) are replacing C++ code. Specifically, heuristics are being replaced with NN code. Heuristic is something that is learned through trial and error, rather than something that is known to be true. A non self driving example of a heuristic is the size of tcp window for optimal TCP transport.
Actually you have that completely backwards.

NN isn’t code. And you could argue NN is trial and error. But on a massive scale. Heuristic IS code. It’s usually well understood. But they probably really complicate working together with NN. Running pure NN is an accomplishment. If it does close to as well as with heuristics that will be really good. Because then it’s all improving the NN model and no coding heuristics.

Interesting that Tesla postponed AI day .... just before announcing hiring freeze. Or may be the AI team is exempt from hiring freeze.

Isn't it normal to say you're laying off employees to cut costs when you're actually just trying to get rid of the bottom 10%? You just freeze hiring until the layoff is done for plausible deniability and then start hiring again right after.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Isn't it normal to say you're laying off employees to cut costs when you're actually just trying to get rid of the bottom 10%? You just freeze hiring until the layoff is done for plausible deniability and then start hiring again right after.
There are all kinds of rules about layoffs and hiring. In WA for eg., you can't hire for the same position (which usually translates to same title) within a certain time, IIRC. I'm sure CA will have similar rules.

But the funniest thing is if this is what is behind the layoffs ...

But - he has said Tesla Opex is too high earlier.

Interesting. That is a process that some companies do. I used to consult for a greedy executive named Marggraff that liked to do this every year. I stopped doing work for him simply because of that process. It didn't sit well with me.

Let's not forget another problem with Musk's unorthodox "methods" used to reduce the white collar work force by 10%. His lame "super bad feeling" about the economy email excuse as usual backfires on TSLA and the entire US economy. On this leaked email TSLA tanks nearly 10% to match the 10% layoffs. Obviously even if the economy went into a recession Tesla would still have enough pent up demand to make it well into a recession before needed to reduce the work force. So this statement as an excuse is hyperbole.

Besides dragging TSLA down he also contributed to dragging the entire market down some yesterday. Biden was even asked to comment on Musk's email. At least he is getting recognized by Biden to help sooth is ego. It is likely that this irresponsible statement cost the US economy well in excess of $100,000,000,000 yesterday.

While we all love his brash off the cuff, say it as you see it style, now with his power and wealth there can be far reaching and unintended consequences. In some ways he needs to be more carful and thoughtful before he blurts things out that have such FAR reaching effects.

Proving again the irony that Elon is Tesla's best asset but he also can be TSLA's worst enemy.

Well Elon could help TSLA by opening up FSD Beta to the next 100k persons waiting for it. It will jolt the market that non Beta FSD is around the corner. It will also remove Elon from the negative portrayal in the media. No one in the US has been added since last year. If he says wide release of FSD Beta is due this year and half a year gone, and he is still afraid to give FSD Beta to those who are at 95 score just indicates the product is far away from full release.

Reactions: DanCar
Well Elon could help TSLA by opening up FSD Beta to the next 100k persons waiting for it. It will jolt the market that non Beta FSD is around the corner. It will also remove Elon from the negative portrayal in the media. No one in the US has been added since last year. If he says wide release of FSD Beta is due this year and half a year gone, and he is still afraid to give FSD Beta to those who are at 95 score just indicates the product is far away from full release.
That could backfire too. More people on beta, more chances for someone to mess around and cause an accident which would bring negative press and government scrutiny. Many people aren't ready for the intense experience and heightened concentration required for beta.

A large financial (that rhymes with Capital None) does this regularly across their tech divisions. The way it’s done there is to hire more than needed first, then 6 months later announce “redeployments” (layoffs) to include bottom 10-15%. Great way to eliminate lower performers and mix in some persons over a certain age to covertly eliminate to make way for younger fresh talent, typically 21-28 or so. Bright eyed, hard working, motivated, not yet jaded by corp world politics.

Yes, lawsuits have occurred with that method. But settled for amounts that they feel don’t outweigh benefit of eliminating older dead weight.

Well Elon could help TSLA by opening up FSD Beta to the next 100k persons waiting for it.
I hate to be a contrarian, but IMO, his not releasing FSD Beta to more people is about the only decision he's made recently that I actually agree with... it's just not ready.

I'm in the Beta program, and have had numerous white knuckle (and potentially deadly) moments with FSD Beta that I'm very surprised no one has been killed by it yet.

Up until the last couple of updates, FSD Beta was timid enough that it gave you quite a bit of time to recover from any poor decisions it made. The last few updates have increased the speed at which it reacts to various things (like accelerating when making a turn) that cuts the reaction time for you to correct it down a long, long way. It is now capable of "doing the worst possible thing, at the worst possible time" at a speed exceeding the ability of a mere human to correct it.

Yes, I do believe that Tesla will get this figured out eventually, but we are going to need to have a lot (a lot) of patience. Let them get further into the development process and get a safer product before releasing it to more people.

I hate to be a contrarian, but IMO, his not releasing FSD Beta to more people is about the only decision he's made recently that I actually agree with... it's just not ready....
Correct, also more people means more chances of accidents and an increased change of a fatality. Despite the 100 US deaths a day on roads when this happens, and it will happen, it is going to clobber TSLA and be headline news for days.

That could backfire too. More people on beta, more chances for someone to mess around and cause an accident which would bring negative press and government scrutiny. Many people aren't ready for the intense experience and heightened concentration required for beta.
I don’t believe the current beta participants are somehow more ready than any of us who have achieved the same safety score and mileage.

• Love
Reactions: KArnold
I hate to be a contrarian, but IMO, his not releasing FSD Beta to more people is about the only decision he's made recently that I actually agree with... it's just not ready.

I'm in the Beta program, and have had numerous white knuckle (and potentially deadly) moments with FSD Beta that I'm very surprised no one has been killed by it yet.

Up until the last couple of updates, FSD Beta was timid enough that it gave you quite a bit of time to recover from any poor decisions it made. The last few updates have increased the speed at which it reacts to various things (like accelerating when making a turn) that cuts the reaction time for you to correct it down a long, long way. It is now capable of "doing the worst possible thing, at the worst possible time" at a speed exceeding the ability of a mere human to correct it.

Yes, I do believe that Tesla will get this figured out eventually, but we are going to need to have a lot (a lot) of patience. Let them get further into the development process and get a safer product before releasing it to more people.
I only see people who already have beta access making this argument…

Reactions: KArnold
I only see people who already have beta access making this argument…
Then don't take my word for it, take Elon's.

If Elon et al felt that it was safe enough to go ahead and release it to more beta testers, he/they would. They aren't holding back the floodgates just to be jerks about it, they are doing it for a reason. What other reason could there possibly be other than the fact that it just isn't ready/safe enough yet?

• Funny
Reactions: KArnold and 2101Guy
That has zero chance of becoming true i.e. SP getting a "jolt" because of some more people getting FSD Beta. Infact media can spin this as another negative by printing how Tesla is threatening traffic safety by unleashing test software (like many haters here do).

They're not more ready, it's a percentages problem, a battle of attrition.
I was only speaking to the final sentence. “Many people aren't ready for the intense experience and heightened concentration required for beta.”

If you want to get into statistics, then I’d love to see the amount of miles driven on beta vs fatal accidents as compared to unassisted miles. Same for serious accidents (injury or damages above x amount). I imagine there’s not a dramatic difference in the probability of an accident between 60k beta testers and 100k.

Then don't take my word for it, take Elon's.

If Elon et al felt that it was safe enough to go ahead and release it to more beta testers, he/they would. They aren't holding back the floodgates just to be jerks about it, they are doing it for a reason. What other reason could there possibly be other than the fact that it just isn't ready/safe enough yet?
Oh, Tesla definitely has their reasons. I suspect it’s partly due to perceived safety risk. I also suspect they either can’t handle the additional influx of data, don’t see a need for it, or don’t have means to sort through additional data efficiently.

From where I sit, I don’t believe the safety risk outweighs the benefit to FSD owners.