Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to be a contrarian, but IMO, his not releasing FSD Beta to more people is about the only decision he's made recently that I actually agree with... it's just not ready.
From a safety perspective, I see no reason why those would have qualified to receive the less capable FSD beta in December should not receive the current version. The recent version is significantly better than the version from the last intake of testers. For this reason, I believe that the engineering team likey is not wanting more testers and the lawyers/insurance group is not wanting to add the liability until the product risk (disengagement rate) becomes significantly better.

All above is my pure speculation, though I believe it is a logical explanation why people with 99+ safety scores have not been added to the tester group.

Reactions: FelixORiley
I'm in the Beta program, and have had numerous white knuckle (and potentially deadly) moments with FSD Beta that I'm very surprised no one has been killed by it yet.

Interested in details.

Up until the last couple of updates, FSD Beta was timid enough that it gave you quite a bit of time to recover from any poor decisions it made. The last few updates have increased the speed at which it reacts to various things (like accelerating when making a turn) that cuts the reaction time for you to correct it down a long, long way. It is now capable of "doing the worst possible thing, at the worst possible time" at a speed exceeding the ability of a mere human to correct it.
Sounds like a big issue. Supervised FSD safer if FSD is slow to react, but feedback has been it is too slow.

When looked at from the standpoint of having far less time to intervene for a bad FSD decision, it's worse, as the latest version(s) "assertiveness" (faster acceleration) gives you a lot less time to correct it.
I’ll take 10.11.2. Why wasn’t 10.11.2 expanded to new testers? It was certainly better the FSDb 10.8 from December.

And if 10.12.2 is worse than 10.11.2, why was the entire current pool of testers moved to 10.12.2?

I’ll take 10.11.2. Why wasn’t 10.11.2 expanded to new testers? It was certainly better the FSDb 10.8 from December.

And if 10.12.2 is worse than 10.11.2, why was the entire current pool of testers moved to 10.12.2?
They are making changes to code bases. Moving things that were C code onto new and existing NNs. They even retired a few NNs. So they need telemetry from the fleet of beta testers to dial in the new nets. That's the "one step back" that was mentioned.

That has zero chance of becoming true i.e. SP getting a "jolt" because of some more people getting FSD Beta. Infact media can spin this as another negative by printing how Tesla is threatening traffic safety by unleashing test software (like many haters here do).
1654381394915.png

Just today I posted this a few hours back 100k new additions. Looks like Elon takes in all good ideas like a good leader:)

Reactions: Terminator857
Just got
From a safety perspective, I see no reason why those would have qualified to receive the less capable FSD beta in December should not receive the current version. The recent version is significantly better than the version from the last intake of testers.
Just got FSD beta 10.12.2 (firmware version 2022.12.3.20) from a non-FSD version 2022.12.3.3. 100% safety score over the last 2 weeks and ~300 miles.

I'm one of those who had FSD beta between October and December, then opted out as I didn't see much progress at all across the multiple FSD beta version I received, and got annoyed with the 80mph AP limit (I think I can deal with 85mph, let's see).

Reactions: DanCar
Just today I posted this a few hours back 100k new additions. Looks like Elon takes in all good ideas like a good leader:)
But - will SP get a "jolt" like you said it will ? Because no one in the market cares about such stuff. They only care about real robotaxi - and they all know it isn't happening soon.

Ofcourse it might - because its TSLA, who knows. I do think it is oversold with the 10% drop on Friday ...

IMO, his not releasing FSD Beta to more people is about the only decision he's made recently

have had numerous white knuckle (and potentially deadly) moments with FSD Beta that I'm very surprised no one has been killed by it yet.
IMHO, if that's accurate then it should be immediately removed from the 60k (or whatever number de jour) has it and limited to off road by 100 or so professional testers.

Imagine if this scenario were virtually any other industry with such potential for risk - medicine, aircraft, food, sky diving, high speed water sports, motorcycles, and so on. He's getting away with it because he's first but that doesn't make it right.

Suppose beta FSD does cause serious harm to a bystander or even death. Will Ellon be held responsible for his decision to release in it's current form, regardless of safety score? Of course not but he should be. He has essentially deployed a known seriously deficient and potentially deadly product to 60k people. People should be accountable for their actions. And in the interest of kewl new tech we are ok with that. At a 20k level, it's either "safe enough" for anyone with money and skills to get a good SS, or it's not. You can't have it both ways.

I don't have FSD. If I'm exaggerating the risk, deploy it further. But don't stand here with one foot in and one foot out in the interest of safety.

I only see people who already have beta access making this argument…

So true. I don't see those who are in favor of this stoppage for safety reasons turning theirs off. Guess it's just the other guy who is a risk.

IMHO, if that's accurate then it should be immediately removed from the 60k (or whatever number de jour) has it and limited to off road by 100 or so professional testers.

Imagine if this scenario were virtually any other industry with such potential for risk - medicine, aircraft, food, sky diving, high speed water sports, motorcycles, and so on. He's getting away with it because he's first but that doesn't make it right.

Suppose beta FSD does cause serious harm to a bystander or even death. Will Ellon be held responsible for his decision to release in it's current form, regardless of safety score? Of course not but he should be. He has essentially deployed a known seriously deficient and potentially deadly product to 60k people. People should be accountable for their actions. And in the interest of kewl new tech we are ok with that. At a 20k level, it's either "safe enough" for anyone with money and skills to get a good SS, or it's not. You can't have it both ways.

I don't have FSD. If I'm exaggerating the risk, deploy it further. But don't stand here with one foot in and one foot out in the interest of safety.

So true. I don't see those who are in favor of this stoppage for safety reasons turning theirs off. Guess it's just the other guy who is a risk.

Thank goodness that we hold back progress until all need to prove the unknown is proven.

When will this thing called airplane start operating? I hear it's amazing new travel tool but still has issues. Anytime soon?

Thank goodness that we hold back progress until all need to prove the unknown is proven.

When will this thing called airplane start operating? I hear it's amazing new travel tool but still has issues. Anytime soon?
Yes, just like airplanes. I agree with you that it should be a full deployment to everyone now, if it's safe enough in the opinion of those professionals who evaluate such things. 😉

Good call.

If you find an issue with a plane you ground it until you figure out how to fix it...
Would Tesla really have a hard time finding bugs with only 100 employee testers?
I'm not saying that FSD Beta is unsafe. It appears to be relatively safe with the group of people currently testing it, I just don't think they're deploying it for engineering reasons.
My conspiracy theorist brain says that the master plan is for it to be banned so they can blame their failure to deliver robotaxis on regulators.