Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You go first and cite which federal transportation regulation would require Tesla to implement an audio feedback mechanism.

Ok bet.

1)NHTSA encourages consumers to report safety defects.

2) NHTSA REQUIRES manufactures to report known safety defects.

3) NHTSA has found Teslas autopilot to be defective and has issued a recall.

4) From NHTSA site:

. If a safety defect is discovered, the manufacturer must notify NHTSA, as well as vehicle or equipment owners, dealers, and distributors . The manufacturer is then required to remedy the problem at no charge
to the owner . NHTSA is responsible for monitoring the manufacturer’s corrective action to ensure successful completion of the recall campaign .

5) Last sentence gives the the power to monitor Tesla corrective action. The logs are a way to monitor that.

Ok bet.

1)NHTSA encourages consumers to report safety defects.

2) NHTSA REQUIRES manufactures to report known safety defects.

3) NHTSA has found Teslas autopilot to be defective and has issued a recall.

4) From NHTSA site:

. If a safety defect is discovered, the manufacturer must notify NHTSA, as well as vehicle or equipment owners, dealers, and distributors . The manufacturer is then required to remedy the problem at no charge
to the owner . NHTSA is responsible for monitoring the manufacturer’s corrective action to ensure successful completion of the recall campaign .

5) Last sentence gives the the power to monitor Tesla corrective action. The logs are a way to monitor that.
Let's take them in order:

1) Not a regulation, but... Encouraging consumers to report safety defects does not impose a requirement for manufacturers to implement a costly system of soliciting those comments and storing them.

2) Requiring auto makers to report known safety defects does not impose a requirement for auto makers to provide a mechanism in the car to collect driver comments while driving. Note that the system implemented is only for use with FSDb disconnects. If the car's brakes fail, there is no mention of the ability to report this using the voice comments. In addition, the voice comment feature is not, as per the release notes, only for safety issues. Any disconnect can be commented upon, including non-safety related interventions.

3) Not a regulation, but... Every auto maker has safety recalls, yet no auto maker has been required to implement an automated driver voice comment system.

4) Most of what was stated was superfluous. If NHTSA needs individual vehicle telemetry to monitor corrective action, they can do so without driver voice comments. The car's automated log data provides an objective measure of vehicle performance and driver comments are unnecessary for this purpose.

5) Duplicative to 4). Same comment. BTW, it is inconceivable that NHTSA has the resources to ingest and analyze vehicle logs from 360,000 vehicles, let alone deal with millions of voice comments, so there is virtually no possibility that NHTSA is asking for this data. Also, BTW, if this data were going to NHTSA, Tesla would likely be required to disclose this to customers, even if it is supposedly anonymous. The release notes said nothing about the Federal Government listening in to driver comments.

I'd say, nice try, but this really was a poor attempt to justify your wild speculation.

Edit: BTW, the fact that this was in the 11.3 release indicates that Tesla had the voice comments function in work long before the recall discussions began with NHTSA. That in itself disproves your fantasy.

Last edited:
Reactions: aronth5
Why is everyone getting so upset over what the fix is called? Recall, software update...why does anyone care? I've received several letters in the mail from Tesla over the years saying my car was subject to a recall which has been corrected with an OTA update. Why wasn't anyone making a fuss about it years ago when this happened? It seems like everyone is just super sensitive when it comes to FSD beta. Everyone is just arguing semantics and it seems like this happens every time anything negative is ever publicized about Tesla. A recall is a recall...something needs to be fixed and there needs to be a remedy for it. I don't care what they call it and I'm just enjoying my car and whatever FSDb version I have. Can this thread please get back on topic now?
I guess Ark Investment and Musk would be happy with the more objective and descriptive "Safety critical software/mechanical flaw" instead. That probably wouldn't be negative for the brand and the stock. ;-)

[possible hypothesis]Could be that NHTSA is encouraging (not requiring) Tesla to offer a direct feedback loop in order to lower the chances of potential future regulations.

I guess that's POSSIBLE--- but occams razor suggests a better possibility-

Tesla already HAD a feedback mechanism- it kinda sucked- so they removed it and now have made a better one.

Let's take them in order:

1) Not a regulation, but... Encouraging consumers to report safety defects does not impose a requirement for manufacturers to implement a costly system of soliciting those comments and storing them.

2) Requiring auto makers to report known safety defects does not impose a requirement for auto makers to provide a mechanism in the car to collect driver comments while driving. Note that the system implemented is only for use with FSDb disconnects. If the car's brakes fail, there is no mention of the ability to report this using the voice comments. In addition, the voice comment feature is not, as per the release notes, only for safety issues. Any disconnect can be commented upon, including non-safety related interventions.

3) Not a regulation, but... Every auto maker has safety recalls, yet no auto maker has been required to implement an automated driver voice comment system.

4) Most of what was stated was superfluous. If NHTSA needs individual vehicle telemetry to monitor corrective action, they can do so without driver voice comments. The car's automated log data provides an objective measure of vehicle performance and driver comments are unnecessary for this purpose.

5) Duplicative to 4). Same comment. BTW, it is inconceivable that NHTSA has the resources to ingest and analyze vehicle logs from 360,000 vehicles, let alone deal with millions of voice comments, so there is virtually no possibility that NHTSA is asking for this data. Also, BTW, if this data were going to NHTSA, Tesla would likely be required to disclose this to customers, even if it is supposedly anonymous. The release notes said nothing about the Federal Government listening in to driver comments.

I'd say, nice try, but this really was a poor attempt to justify your wild speculation.

Edit: BTW, the fact that this was in the 11.3 release indicates that Tesla had the voice comments function in work long before the recall discussions began with NHTSA. That in itself disproves your fantasy.

I don’t have to provide a specific regulation. This is what NHSTA does. Your entire response was just “no I don’t believe that” you are entitled to a bad opinion just like everyone else.

Telsa is disclosing the fact they are recording comments to customers. They don’t have to say why they are doing it. NHTSA also doesn’t have to recieve the comments to monitor Tesla’s fix. Tesla has to monitor them. Nhts just has to be notified if those comments expose flaws in the system. Giving them a way to monitor if teslas system is working.

I don’t have to provide a specific regulation. This is what NHSTA does.

Make up requirements for car makers that aren't supported by any law or regulation?

No, I don't think that's actually what they do- nor what is happening here.

Tesla already had a feedback system long before the recall. With the NHTSA having nothing to do with it. This is just a better version.

You're overthinking this.

They require proof that the fixes work. Customer feedback is proof. So there are many ways to achieve that, this is one way.

Anyway, here is the link

NHTSA already has a mechanism for drivers to provide safety reports that does not require cooperation from manufacturers. In fact, that's what you want so that those reports are not 'filtered' before NHTSA gets them.

As I said earlier, the fact that Tesla has rolled this out now (before they provided the recall remedies) is strong evidence that this is not part of the recall response. It takes a lot of effort to plan, design and implement a system like this. There are multiple software systems affected, data structures must be changed and backend servers must be modified to receive, interpret and store the information. Then, for Tesla to do anything useful with the voice comments, they need to implement mechanisms to categorize them and provide useful search capabilities so that they can access relevant data. This is not something that gets implemented in a couple weeks.

BTW customer feedback is not proof.

Keep in mind, Elon did NOT have to do the voluntary recall if he felt it wasnt appropriate. As mentioned previously, NHTSA is an agency with no teeth...

And with his new, highly aggressive lawyers who will "fight every unjust case/accusation/etc".....Elon has the upperhand if he felt this was not a just recall request...

• Disagree
Reactions: EVNow
Speaking of paying for FSD vs subscription. Based on lifespan of Tesla cars (as pointed out by Tesla's own lawyers), subscription definitely appears to be the way to go (assuming you want to waste money at all on FSD)

Tesla Lawyers Dismiss Elon Musk's Claim in Germany, State the Cars Last Only 130,488 Miles​

"...electrically powered vehicles are generally more prone to failure than conventional internal combustion vehicles."

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
So you may be asking, why haven't any customers delivered HW4 yet if the vehicles are sitting in the delivery lot? (Thanks again,
@klwtts!) The software to support HW4 is still being finalized and must be completed before deliveries begin next month.

i.e.., "drivers" or other hardware interfaces? I'd expect HW4 to be able to run "HW3 FSD code" as a compatibility feature. Hard to tell from such a vague statement - but if just drivers or equivalent, I'd not expect that to take months especially if they finalized the specs well over a year ago. So I'm not sure what "software" they are referring to specifically.

Just a curious statement to me and apparently it's in Tesla's top TO DO lists.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
Nothing new here.
Quote:
A software update which includes the remedy that will improve how FSD Beta negotiates certain driving maneuvers during specific conditions (as described below), will be deployed over-the-air (OTA) to affected vehicles when the software is available.