Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue on the HWx thing to my mind is, ok they said HW2 was enough for autonomous driving, and it wasn't.... but not really a big deal because people who bought FSD would get a free upgrade to HW3 which SURELY is enough for autonomous driving right?

But even though Tesla hasn't admitted it yet, it's clearly not.... and unlike before, Tesla has suggested existing FSD owners will NOT be getting HW4 (or anything else) upgrades in existing cars. So that's kind of a problem.

I'm curious if the new ASS will still be requiring you to have the vehicle in your line of sight and keeping a button pressed during the process.

That's a failsafe way Tesla can keep the user of smart summon liable in case of an incident.

In theory the Terms and conditions (that you would have to accept before installing the software or use of ASS) could state the user is always liable and has to monitor, whilst the UI doesn't require the user to actively stay engaged (by for example a button press) and there is just a glaring "emergency STOP" button onscreen during the use of ASS, but that would probably lead to misuse and therefore accidents.

Very curious how it performs. I don't share the negative views since ASS should in theory be as capable as 11.4.4 and many testers agree FSDb sees parking lot layouts a lot more clearly than it has in the past.

Reactions: DanCar
I'm curious if the new ASS will still be requiring you to have the vehicle in your line of sight and keeping a button pressed during the process.

That's a failsafe way Tesla can keep the user of smart summon liable in case of an incident.

In theory the Terms and conditions (that you would have to accept before installing the software or use of ASS) could state the user is always liable and has to monitor, whilst the UI doesn't require the user to actively stay engaged (by for example a button press) and there is just a glaring "emergency STOP" button onscreen during the use of ASS, but that would probably lead to misuse and therefore accidents.

Very curious how it performs. I don't share the negative views since ASS should in theory be as capable as 11.4.4 and many testers agree FSDb sees parking lot layouts a lot more clearly than it has in the past.
It would seem unlikely that Tesla will be accepting liability for parking lot operations considering that FSDb is still drives abysmally in most parking lots. This would be L4 behavior, albeit with a lot of very tiny ODDs.

Don't get in a hurry. This was promised last year, but was apparently back burnered to get 11.x out.

It's very simple: do not believe anything Elon Musk says. Do not take his timelines as even a maybe. He says stuff to sell cars, he says stuff to sell FSD. Do not have FOMO. If do have FOMO, you can always buy $15k of Tesla shares, or gradually at $200/month.

As discussed elsewhere, it's Elon being Elon. He's either wrong or v12 is years away.
Definitely Elon being Elon and just speaking as usual without any brain to mouth filter off the top of his head. I doubt Tesla has more than an inkling of a tentative timeline for when V12 would be released. Elon has also Tweeted that 11.420.x was going to be a version and that could be many months to years since it is such a high number.

Also this kinda/maybe/sorta hints that Tesla may just offer a "Full Self Driving" L2 system. So likely we will get hands off (if Tesla can get the camera eye tracking much improved) in V12 and point to point "autonomy" but we must be in the driver's seat and always in control. So sorta the way it is now, just improved but still L2.

And before people jump in and say that Tesla MUST provided L4. There is and never has been a timeline so Tesla can just plausibly claim it is still working towards L4 just like it was yesterday is today and will be tomorrow.

Definitely Elon being Elon and just speaking as usual without any brain to mouth filter off the top of his head. I doubt Tesla has more than an inkling of a tentative timeline for when V12 would be released. Elon has also Tweeted that 11.420.x was going to be a version and that could be many months to years since it is such a high number.

Also this kinda/maybe/sorta hints that Tesla may just offer a "Full Self Driving" L2 system. So likely we will get hands off (if Tesla can get the camera eye tracking much improved) in V12 and point to point "autonomy" but we must be in the driver's seat and always in control. So sorta the way it is now, just improved but still L2.

And before people jump in and say that Tesla MUST provided L4. There is and never has been a timeline so Tesla can just plausibly claim it is still working towards L4 just like it was yesterday is today and will be tomorrow.
I would actually be quite happy with that: FSD as a L2 system that is fully hands off but with driver supervision and driver monitoring. (And still updating to perform better and better over time)

It's not a perfect outcome, but a realistic one that would make me happy to have bought FSD. As long as it works 99% of the time.

So likely we will get hands off (if Tesla can get the camera eye tracking much improved) in V12 and point to point "autonomy" but we must be in the driver's seat and always in control.

Not sure how that's going to play out then. There are a load of cars out there that don't have the mirror camera.

If that is indeed the case it will be interesting to see if non-mirror camera owners never get the no nag functionality then or if Tesla will do a mirror swap on either their dime or the owners. Especially since I don't believe there is the proper wiring to the mirror location for owners who don't have the camera. It's bound to be time consuming and expensive if they have to pull an additional cable, or worse a harness.

Tesla is not going to swap the new HW4 computer or even cameras as it is for HW3 owners. Even if you wanted to pay for it. As Musk said too complicated and expensive for Tesla even consider.

Heck Tesla wont even swap out the Atom MCU for the Ryzen version Even if you wanted to pay for it. The MCU upgrade isn't required for FSD to function but is an improvement for the FSD visuals though which is helpful for the driver; especially if HW3 cars never go beyond L2.

I would actually be quite happy with that: FSD as a L2 system that is fully hands off but with driver supervision and driver monitoring. (And still updating to perform better and better over time)
I think it's a mind-bogglingly stupid idea to release an L2 that operates around vulnerable road users in a city context. It's simply put more stressful than driving yourself, it's also slower and much less safe. My next car will be the car that is autonomous (L3) on highways only up to 60-70 mph in certain conditions. I am betting there will be at least two brand to chose from in the 2025-2026 time frame, at least in countries that use the UNECE framework.

What makes you say that? Didn't Elon / Tesla release data that people are safer when using FSD?
40 years of research in automation complacency?
valley.jpeg

Is the car isn't safer than a human by itself, it will be less safe than a human when it leaves the "omg it sometimes works" stage.
Humans are terrible at monitoring, and this is well documented in aerospace, and in previous AV efforts.

At some point for the pre 3/19 buyers you'll age that promise enough that a class action will ensue. Avg. length of new car ownership last I checked was like 8-8.5 years- beyond that your bar for reasonable person standard to require Tesla to refund everyone they never delivered the promised L4 product to gets pretty easy.... The oldest FSD buyers will be at 7 years from purchase this fall.

There's also the HW4 elephant in the room- the moment they acknowledge HW4 getting working-toward-autonomy features HW3 does not they're boned given they've already said HW3 folks aren't getting upgraded.