Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they don’t, too. But I don’t think that qualifies as wide release personally. But I guess we will see how people react to striking out.

We've been playing Elon's game for a long time. Take your expectation of what he says, reduce it by 50-75% and then you have something resembling reality lol. I can see his definition of "wide release" including strikes. And possibly 100% rollout well delayed into next year as well

They will absolutely have some sort of strike system and punishment. They have to...maybe it could be reduced for the day or the drive, but I doubt it.
Reducing it to the drive is not a penalty. You just stop and get out of the seat which is easy to do quickly on city streets. So that would be true wide release.

I hope they have longer lockout periods (1 week or something) and just two strikes and they call it wide release.

Anyway, after thinking about it, one way or another, I think releasing to the entire fleet qualifies as wide release even if many of those people never turn it on, or get kicked out for an indeterminate period.

Reactions: uscbucsfan
Timelines and Safety Scores for 10.69.2.1 and 10.69.3:

At 1000 per week starting at people who already have a safety score of 100 but don't yet have Beta? Then 99, 98, 97.. unless there are glitches.

"Expanding to safety scores above 80" could still mean weeks, months... Plus he didn't say ALL people with safety scores above 80, it could just mean some people above 80, you know the YouTubers.

He's non specific as always but we all hope he means ALL, right away.

How about "Beta expanding to all drivers with safety scores above 80, at 10k per day, starting 24 hours after 10.69.2.1 is released to the first driver, subject to 10.69.2.1 having no significant safety regressions, and continuing until all qualifying drivers have it, no maximum cap on quantity."

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see how many owners would take a class action settlement and lose FSD (who didn't buy EAP first). I think the number would be low considering how much EAP cost now.
Not interested in a class action. I am not looking to punish Tesla for anything. And not interested in giving up AP/EAP - it was $5000 well spent. I Just want my $2000 back for FSD (Autosteer on City Streets) that they never delivered and, in the current estimation of knowledgeable experts outside of Elon Musk, won't ever be able to deliver for my Model 3.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I hope they have longer lockout periods (1 week or something) and just two strikes and they call it wide release.
it's easy to accidentally trigger a strike. One time i was just sitting at a red light, and it started flashing and beeping red take over hands. I slammed the brake to disengage FSDb, and when i checked the AP settings page, it said i had a strike.

Reactions: sleepydoc
it's easy to accidentally trigger a strike. One time i was just sitting at a red light, and it started flashing and beeping red take over hands. I slammed the brake to disengage FSDb, and when i checked the AP settings page, it said i had a strike.
Really want to see videos of this. High engagement YouTube content.

I’ve never seen anything like this. Have to keep eyes on road at red lights too, of course - important for safety. I got a “pay attention to the the road” warning when I was looking to the left at a red light many months back.

It’s all very mysterious. And of course each release will change the behavior.

Reactions: nvx1977
maybe this is what i was dinged for. I mean if the car starts moving, you can immediately slam on the brake, it's not like there's a lot of danger accelerating from 0-1mph and then braking to 0 again 🤷‍♂️
You lose situational awareness. That’s the issue. Intersections can be complicated and hazardous, and it is good to have a full view of what has been happening, so hazards can be identified early, before proceeding. You lose that history if you are on the phone or otherwise distracted at the light.

E.g. A pedestrian or cyclist in the crosswalk trying to beat the light, but obscured by other adjacent vehicles. Typically a non-issue if one is alert. They could potentially hit you at 10mph when you have slammed to a halt (too late) at 0mph.

Importantly, you also lose track of which traffic last had the green - so it can be difficult to know which way to focus for red-light runners (potentially several possibilities).

Normally you’re going to be pressing the accelerator from a stop when using FSD, so that makes it even worse potentially.

Last edited:
I wonder how much of the fleet 80+ is?
Check me on this. Tesla Fi Fleet Stats says there are only 1,934 cars with safety scores. Of these 1,074 have SS of at least 90%. These would include everyone who has opted for Beta, but not yet received it, as well as Tesla Insurance clients.

They also have 3,117 currently on Beta. If all 1,934 got the expansion, that would be a 62% increase.

If Tesla Fi is reasonable representative, and if the current beta herd is 100,000 (as we have heard) this expansion would add around 60,000 Beta users.

This may be a high estimate, because some of those 1,934 folks are insurance clients and some have SS less than 80%. Also, I would guess that Tesla Fi with it's bit-head bias, may be richer in beta enthusiasts than the fleet average.

So this may not be all that huge a roll out.

Or maybe I botched this back of the envelope guesstimate. What say you?

SW

It's not like FSD beta requires any less care, attention, and "safety-minded" drivers than it did 1-2 years ago, it will still do the worst thing at the worst time, so lowering the safety score bar always sounds like a bizarre decision to me. Seems like it's just a way to show progress without real progress.

Reactions: Goose66
It's not like FSD beta requires any less care, attention, and "safety-minded" drivers than it did 1-2 years ago, it will still do the worst thing at the worst time, so lowering the safety score bar always sounds like a bizarre decision to me. Seems like it's just a way to show progress without real progress.
It helps quiet the fist-shakers who yell "but I paid $X for FSD, I'm entitled to be in the Beta!!"

What it won't do is quiet those same fist-shakers when they get Beta and yell "OMG, I just used Beta and it tried to kill me!!!!"

• Funny
Reactions: DanCar
Also, I would guess that Tesla Fi with it's bit-head bias, may be richer in beta enthusiasts than the fleet average.
Yeah maybe. Non-users might also be more likely to have lower scores too, which would cut the other way.

Anyway probably on the order of doubling the pool, maybe less.

Guess they have to get those miles so they can start gathering the corner cases. 😂

So when FSD is "finished" by end of this year, what will that actually mean? Will it mean (for example) the warning if "can and will do the worst thing and the worst time" no longer apply/no longer be published, for example? Will Tesla then recognize/account for ALL FSD revenue?

What...will it mean. What are the expectations

The people need answers!

Last edited: