Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder how it is promising? Promising that it will start signaling properly? Interventions less frequent than once every couple miles? (Obviously not going to happen…)

Elon, be specific. This is not our first rodeo.

Such nonsense. He’s lost the edge.
With it being Elon you can bet the rent money that promising ≠ imminent. 🤔 😅

Wonder how it is promising? Promising that it will start signaling properly? Interventions less frequent than once every couple miles? (Obviously not going to happen…)

Elon, be specific. This is not our first rodeo.

Such nonsense. He’s lost the edge.
Is yours really so bad you have to intervene every few miles?

Where are you located?

V11 has been pretty great for me. I've had more 0 invention drives than all versions combined.

But yes, it'll *sugar* the bed from time to time.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Where are you located?
Yes. I mean, could I let it go and would it complete the maneuver? In many cases, yes. But not really the point.
Still waiting for my first zero-intervention drive of any length.

San Diego.

will find something to complain about until it drives like him or an Indy chauffeur”
I think it is pretty evident I have much lower standards than that.

I’m eternally pissed right now. I was driving on the highway looking at the road and I kept getting a “Pay attention to the road warning” every 3 minutes so I kept jerking the wheel. Hands on the wheel. Looking right at the dam road bored as hell and it just gives me a strike.

🖕
Defective. Get it addressed. This doesn’t happen without user error or defective hardware. User error has been 100% ruled out per your statement so it is hardware.

FSD Beta is completely unable to handle south eastern PA without losing its mind. I’d say interventions every mile are about average to avoid actual serious accidents. Based on the rate of progress for the 50 miles around me, we are still 5 to 10 years away and probably multiple hardware revisions on top of that.
Same. Strangely it handles the city better than rural roads, but I basically have to disengage or intervene at every major decision point, the car just stops and takes too long to make up it's mind. Like @AlanSubie4Life says, it probably would complete the maneuver, but it will piss off everyone around with it's indecisiveness. Or, more rarely but often enough, it'll just go, other traffic be damned, and force me to disengage for safety.

I let it go when no-one is around, and it does reasonably well - but then with no-one around, there are no decisions to be made, so it isn't challenged.

Defective. Get it addressed. This doesn’t happen without user error or defective hardware. User error has been 100% ruled out per your statement so it is hardware.
My experience (been driving FSD since the beta pram started, and I use it daily) and never had a strike.... until a month ago.

I forgot my sunglasses on a pretty long multi-hour freeway drive in the desert in SoCal. I put FSD-beta on like I always do. The sun was super-bright and I was squinting very hard. I kept getting "pay attention" warnings every few min even though I had both hands on the wheel and looking straight forward.. then bam, a strike. Finished the drive on manual...

I've never had one before, nor one since... and the only thing I can think of is that I was squinting so hard it may have appeared my eyes were closed... it was very strange.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
My experience (been driving FSD since the beta pram started, and I use it daily) and never had a strike.... until a month ago.

I forgot my sunglasses on a pretty long multi-hour freeway drive in the desert in SoCal. I put FSD-beta on like I always do. The sun was super-bright and I was squinting very hard. I kept getting "pay attention" warnings every few min even though I had both hands on the wheel and looking straight forward.. then bam, a strike. Finished the drive on manual...

I've never had one before, nor one since... and the only thing I can think of is that I was squinting so hard it may have appeared my eyes were closed... it was very strange.
Yep. Exactly as expected.

Where are you located?

V11 has been pretty great for me. I've had more 0 invention drives than all versions combined.

But yes, it'll *sugar* the bed from time to time.
The only progress or test relevant to FSD are in NYC/Boston/Chicago/San Fran as far as im concerned. If it can't go more half a mile in hard dense city environments then FSD is no where solved...going 10 miles in suburbia with simple lights and right turns and one or two people per intersection does not mean anything.

FSD 11.3.x is currently garbage in NYC it can't handle a single intersection. FSD and 'autonomy' as Tesla puts it only matters in these cities, since thats where 90% of robotaxies will be located.

There is no way it can also be solved with current hardware, it just simply does not have the processing power to handle 4 lanes of traffic, turning lanes, an average of 50 pedestrians per intersection, a dozen surrounding cars, and half a dozen bikers/delivery mopeds all on one scene...

The only progress or test relevant to FSD are in NYC/Boston/Chicago/San Fran as far as im concerned. If it can't go more half a mile in hard dense city environments then FSD is no where solved...going 10 miles in suburbia with simple lights and right turns and one or two people per intersection does not mean anything.

FSD 11.3.x is currently garbage in NYC it can't handle a single intersection. FSD and 'autonomy' as Tesla puts it only matters in these cities, since thats where 90% of robotaxies will be located.

There is no way it can also be solved with current hardware, it just simply does not have the processing power to handle 4 lanes of traffic, turning lanes, an average of 50 pedestrians per intersection, a dozen surrounding cars, and half a dozen bikers/delivery mopeds all on one scene...
...and pedestrian traffic so dense that the only way to clear an intersection is to nose into the crosswalk and go after the light has changed red.

Not sure how this could even be coded/teached given the rolling stop debacle.

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner

I don't believe in robotaxis, really, but FSDB on v11 works well in Atlanta and Charlotte in dense traffic, pedestrians, etc. I've actually had more issues on random rural roads recently than the super complex downtown scenarios...

edit: To qualify well...I can let it drive for a long period of time without intervening.

I've had a few drives from downtown to Buckhead with 0 interventions and with the construction that's a super difficult drive, but most of my 0 intervention drives are 20-30 miles through shopping districts and cities.

...and pedestrian traffic so dense that the only way to clear an intersection is to nose into the crosswalk and go after the light has changed red.

Not sure how this could even be coded/teached given the rolling stop debacle.
This is something that Cruise is generally relatively better at than FSD. It is gently assertive at nosing its way into busy intersections or pedestrians where FSD is just fully stopped. In fact it may be “too good” at being assertive around pedestrians. It is sometimes a little rude at approaching them too closely and then barely waiting for them to get out of the way. I tend to wait at a farther distance away.

I don’t think it’s unsafe or that it is having any perception problems seeing the pedestrians. It’s just, perhaps, a little unnerving to some pedestrians as they walk in front of a car that seems a little too close.