Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Robotaxi-level FSD is not happening on HW3.0. The B-pillar position simply isn't sufficient for seeing cross traffic in a too-high number of cases. It's just making it a huge statistical challenge.

I mean no one was saying FSD was going to be better than a human driver who is driving safely and paying attention, but you want to put that software in a situation where a human driver 1) is paying attention 2) trying to be safe and 3) can lean forward, and you expect the computer to have a similar result?

Luckily it seems this issue is moot on HW4, as there was some evidence the repeater cameras FOV now includes +90 degrees laterally. I'm sure this isn't a coincidence.

....Luckily it seems this issue is moot on HW4, as there was some evidence the repeater cameras FOV now includes +90 degrees laterally. I'm sure this isn't a coincidence.
Actually that is a myth mostly fulled by DirtyTesla testing them both. He made a mistake by parking in a different parking spot giving the illusion of a wider view. Clearly they are about the same.
Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 6.13.18 PM.png

I should have been clearer. Not the fender camera but the updated cameras on the front windshield. Do they have a wider range of view to help address the B-pillar camera's limitation with forward looking obstructed views?
I can post photos when I am out and about tomorrow. In the service menu, it lets you view all of the cameras including the ones on the windshield.

I can post photos when I am out and about tomorrow. In the service menu, it lets you view all of the cameras including the ones on the windshield.
The problem is we need a HW3 and a HW4 sitting in the exact same spot one after the other with a static background in order to get an objective idea. DirtyTesla's "1 parking spot away" example shows how skewed perception can be.

or blinding sunlight which *routinely* in mornings / evenings with low Texas sun hitting ... disables temporarily my B pillar cameras and the car tells me that...
Curious, is this with FSD?

I used to get a lot of that too when sun was hitting at certain angle but for some reason, ever since that one stack version was released, it no longer does that to me.

Reactions: willow_hiller