Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is the new Model S does indeed have this (with an IR light) so that it can monitor eye position even at night. Probably also true of the newer model X, not sure of Y or Highland model 3.
There are IR illuminators, but I'd be surprised if the centrally-mounted camera can track driver eye position. I'd guess it's looking for at head position.

Every other car that tracks eye position has cameras mounted right in front of the driver. IIRC Tesla's central camera was originally touted as a feature to let you check on your robotaxi passengers.

There are IR illuminators, but I'd be surprised if the centrally-mounted camera can track driver eye position. I'd guess it's looking for at head position.

Every other car that tracks eye position has cameras mounted right in front of the driver. IIRC Tesla's central camera was originally touted as a feature to let you check on your robotaxi passengers.
It certainly possible that they "work" for eye tracking in the same way as Tesla "deep rain" auto wipers "works" (not that well). OEM:s that care about driver monitoring mount the cameras in the dash in front of the driver as you say so they have a direct an unomstructed view of the face at all times.

At present you can put a clown ballon there to trick it into reporting "attentive driver".

Last edited:

I tested this the other day, and it seems to track eye position. I moved my head to look like I was watching the road but moved my eyeballs to stare at the center screen. After a few seconds I got the "Pay Attention to the Road" warning.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I did the same test, and got the pay attention after a minute or so.
As to the question argued above about IR capabilities, I have direct evidence that the cabin camera installed in my 2022 Model Y has appreciable sensitivity in the near IR. Mine originally lacked the IR illuminators found in some, but not in all model Y and model 3 production of that era. On the dark roads (no street lights, customarily homes show very few lights, not much spill from the nearby city of Albuquerque, FSDb would routinely abort with a complaint something on the lines of "cabin camera obstructed.

While I could just shine a flashlight so light things up, that wrecked my own visibility. So I purchased an IR light sold for night video, and, presto, the car was willing to drive on that dark road.

That proves nothing about eye-tracking, but it clearly shows that my car's cabin camera had substantial sensitivity in the near IR.

By the way, service, eventually installed a configuration that included IR illuminators (I can see them with the camera in my iPhone) and I put away my after-market one.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394

Well I've seen so many "it cannot do this" or "it needs MUCH more of X todo Y" that have been shown to be false. NNs are very good at figuring stuff out from data with poor signal/noise ratio. Dont underestimate them.

If Tesla can reliably gauge eye position from the interior camera, you’d think they’d eliminate the FSD steering wheel nag on cars so equipped…
Why?
I don’t think that follows. Having hands on the wheel may be just as important (which they could also detect even without seeing the steering wheel or hands, if they had human capability (they don’t seem to)).

I think they have some ability to detect eyes up but not sure how reliable it is. I don’t think it is just head position. Easy to test. I have, though I have not made a project of it. In any case that is my impression, and anyone who cares enough can determine fairly definitively whether that is correct.

Last edited:
As to the question argued above about IR capabilities, I have direct evidence that the cabin camera installed in my 2022 Model Y has appreciable sensitivity in the near IR. Mine originally lacked the IR illuminators found in some, but not in all model Y and model 3 production of that era. On the dark roads (no street lights, customarily homes show very few lights, not much spill from the nearby city of Albuquerque, FSDb would routinely abort with a complaint something on the lines of "cabin camera obstructed.
I forgot to mention that I tested this at night with my '23 Model Y with the IR cameras. I'll test it again this weekend while driving around at night

Can the camera do face recognition? I don't want to enter the pin to drive.
In the past Elon has said the car could be able to recognize you as you walk up (probably B-pillar cameras). Once the system is "trained" to recognize you then any camera would work but the interior camera shouldn't be needed since it should already know by identifying you as you walk up to the car.

But if this works as well as the "deep rain" wipers, auto bright lights and Parking Assist on Vision only cars then it could take years to implement.

As another in cabin IR data point. My inside camera housing on my 2021 Model S Refresh had a major GPS issue.

The replacement unit did NOT have IR. I questioned my tech and he said there was no need and it won’t cause problems.

That was sound advice as I was paying for FSD B then and it did stop needlessly nagging me at night when I was 100% watching the road and the IR camera thought I was not paying attention.

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak
Why?
I don’t think that follows. Having hands on the wheel may be just as important (which they could also detect even without seeing the steering wheel or hands, if they had human capability (they don’t seem to)).
Because the point of these nag systems is to make sure you're paying attention. Every other company offering similar L2 systems (Ford, GM, etc.) uses eye tracking _exclusively_. And it works. Nobody complains about it. It's a better, more reliable system than "just right, not too hard" tugs on the steering wheel.

Because the point of these nag systems is to make sure you're paying attention. Every other company offering similar L2 systems (Ford, GM, etc.) uses eye tracking _exclusively_. And it works. Nobody complains about it. It's a better, more reliable system than "just right, not too hard" tugs on the steering wheel.
Except when Teslas version of eye tracking is crap 💩 😂🤣