Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh I thought park assist was related to reverse summon which is an FSD feature. Is that not the case?
Park Assist is available to all* vehicles. It is not part of the FSD package AFAIK.

*Except the USS ones with Autopark but that is a temporary limitation probably. Probably HW2.5 will be left in the cold here but who knows.

Autopark vehicles do not have Park Assist and Park Assist vehicles do not have Autopark as has been pointed out.

Also Autopark doesn’t work in any reasonable definition of the term “work.”

Works fine for me multiple times a week.... far far better than the USS only one the car originally came with- it's one place where vision brought clear, obvious, specific improvement to the whole affair.
I just have zero patience for it. I can park myself much more quickly (I would not call myself excellent at parking, either - I am too risk averse I think) and it literally never shows me the P sign as I cruise through the lot at 15mph.

I believe it that it is better than the USS version. I think I have tried this one once. It finally showed the P when I was halfway backed into the spot so I pushed it to let it finish. It was slower than me.

And if I want to park 8 inches from a wall to maximize distance from adjacent cars I cannot trust it to do that. Even if I could get it to give me the option.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Works fine for me multiple times a week.... far far better than the USS only one the car originally came with- it's one place where vision brought clear, obvious, specific improvement to the whole affair.
How do you get it to work? Most of the time I never have an option and the few times I've tried to use it it failed in the middle and gave up. On one occasion it parallel parked for me. beyond that I've never had any luck with it.

How do you get it to work? Most of the time I never have an option and the few times I've tried to use it it failed in the middle and gave up. On one occasion it parallel parked for me. beyond that I've never had any luck with it.

In the old system you had to move past an empty spot that had a car parked on either side (because it only used USS) and move past VERY slowly for it to see it, and then IF it saw it, it'd, very very slowly, park exactly between the two cars... regardless of where the actual lines are.

Now I can pull past virtually any spot in any lot, even with 0 other cars around, put the car in reverse, and the button comes up to autopark (assuming I'm vaguely stopped in a position to do so).

It then does it-- not fast, but NOT painfully slow anymore... and parks exactly between the LINES because it can see them.

Is it AS fast as I could usually do it myself? No- but it's close enough for government work now... and while it's doing it I can do OTHER things like if I'm arriving at work grab my badge out of the console and put it on, put my phone back in my pocket from the charger, zip up my jacket, etc...

I just have zero patience for it. I can park myself much more quickly (I would not call myself excellent at parking, either - I am too risk averse I think) and it literally never shows me the P sign as I cruise through the lot at 15mph.

I mean cruising through at 15 no-- but just stop and put in reverse and it should show up right away. See above on the speed thing-- yes I CAN park faster, but not SO much faster I don't save net time letting the car do it while I'm doing OTHER stuff related to being about to get out of the car.

I don't use it ALL the time-- if I'm in a real hurry and I've got nothing else to do before getting out I could be doing while it's parking I'll still park it myself-- but back when it was on USS I wouldn't EVER use it because it was painfully hilariously slow AND required me to use spots with a person on either side which is not my preference.

but just stop and put in reverse and it should show up right away.
Thanks. I’ll have to remember to try this. Just have to find a good spot in the parking structure where this will be feasible for a spot I actually want. I like a particular corner spot so I’ll have to see if I can get it to work for that one. It won’t let me bias to the edge of the spot though (which I can do with no risk of wall scraping in this particular spot).

Definitely familiar with the old USS “align to adjacent cars” nonsense.

Check the video here (I start it from the moment he is stopped, just a second before he throws it in reverse-- soon as he does the parking spot and button appear right away)

That's from a couple years ago- it's even better now as far as recognizing spots- not perfect, but vastly more often than not it's fine

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Check the video here (I start it from the moment he is stopped, just a second before he throws it in reverse-- soon as he does the parking spot and button appear right away)

That's from a couple years ago- it's even better now as far as recognizing spots- not perfect, but vastly more often than not it's fine
I tried it last night - creeped through the ramp coming to work. Even stopped and put my signal on next to a spot. Nothing. Zip. Nada. In this case I have to agree with the trolls - the parking feature is junk.

I tried it last night - creeped through the ramp coming to work. Even stopped and put my signal on next to a spot. Nothing. Zip. Nada. In this case I have to agree with the trolls - the parking feature is junk.

Only thing I'd question is what you mean by ramp?

If you watch the whole video I linked to you see the first few times with "normal" spots, like just in a row in a lot, either with or without it backing up to any sort of anything, and with or without other cars, it worked instantly when he stopped and put it in reverse..... but later he tried a couple of times things like spots that were kind of around a corner or a high wall, or when the car was angled down near an exit to the lot- and it didn't pick the spot up.

If you're having issues on normal spots I'd be curious if you could do a video with similar views to the example I posted to see what might be different in your case.

Only thing I'd question is what you mean by ramp?

If you watch the whole video I linked to you see the first few times with "normal" spots, like just in a row in a lot, either with or without it backing up to any sort of anything, and with or without other cars, it worked instantly when he stopped and put it in reverse..... but later he tried a couple of times things like spots that were kind of around a corner or a high wall, or when the car was angled down near an exit to the lot- and it didn't pick the spot up.

If you're having issues on normal spots I'd be curious if you could do a video with similar views to the example I posted to see what might be different in your case.
Below is a satellite clip. It’s more of a parking deck - there’s a upper level over half of the lot. THe lower level is identical except theres a wall where the trees are. The red square is the spot I was parking in. There were 3 cars parked on either side of it. The red arrow is where I was driving. I slowed down to < 5MPH, then stopped, then put the car in reverse. The system recognized nothing so I backed in myself.

Odd - I just used it right now. I drove past a spot a little bit and the P showed up. Put it in reverse and hit start. Worked fine.
I have had it work sporadically but it’s only about 10, maybe 20% of the time. Infrequent enough that I never bother. The other half is the times the ‘P’ has shown up it’s got about a 70% failure rate, hence my assessment as ‘junk’

1703461540496.png

Below is a satellite clip. It’s more of a parking deck - there’s a upper level over half of the lot. THe lower level is identical except theres a wall where the trees are. The red square is the spot I was parking in. There were 3 cars parked on either side of it. The red arrow is where I was driving. I slowed down to < 5MPH, then stopped, then put the car in reverse. The system recognized nothing so I backed in myself.

I have had it work sporadically but it’s only about 10, maybe 20% of the time. Infrequent enough that I never bother. The other half is the times the ‘P’ has shown up it’s got about a 70% failure rate, hence my assessment as ‘junk’

View attachment 1002833

Is it me or does that look like the parking lines are continuous across the driving lane? If so that'd certainly explain why it doesn't see that as a normal parking spot....whereas the visible lower level the spots have a clear break in the line to the north and south side of each driving lane.

Reactions: Yelobird