Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Q&A at Reddit.com. Submit question by 5pm Sept 19th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll just go with the way Martin pronounces it. It was his idea.
Right. I visited Tesla Motors on April 1, 2004 at their initial office in downtown Menlo Park. At that time, Tesla Motors consisted of three people (Martin Eberhard, Marc Tarpenning, and Ian Wright) and a business plan, but no funding yet. The initial funding came a few weeks later.

I wondered when I wrote that whether someone would ask. Turned out Thursday that week was the day our schedules meshed.

Well, I'm also curious to hear more about it than just the date. Unless it's something confidential or so. In any case, "Tesla" was surely inherited rather than re-invented. In that sense, the current team has the "right" to choose a pouncification as much as anyone else. ;)

Elon Musk is at once compelling and frightening. The fact that he exists and is successful is both astounding and revealing. We're obviously much more mortal than this man. Consider fear. The scariest thing we can experience in life is to know what we're getting into. Now that Elon has graduated his naiveté most of us would expect he'd move on to sure things, but the abyss and party trays of ground glass beckon, as exemplified by his obsession with the greatest and most dangerous blackness of all. This is a man who truly knows that happiness is not an objective. It's a distraction that happens along the way. I am, by comparison, a very lazy man, content to sit back, clap and whistle as Elon Musk revolutionizes most anything of interest to me. Wake me up if he does anything unexpected.

I love Elon from the most remote engineering lobe of my brain. He's brought back the scary master inventor meme for real. I thought I'd need a 100-year time machine to revisit that vibe, but heck, he does it every day.

Elon Musk is at once compelling and frightening.
What strikes me most is he's a hardcore engineer that stayed a hardcore engineer even while leading his company after pure startup mode. I can't think of any other tech company has done that. Lots have had engineers found things (Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, etc), but transitioned to a non-engineering role once the company got moving.

I have no idea where he finds the time. Good engineering takes really dedicated blocks of uninterrupted mental time.