Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Reveals Tesla Model Y Production Ramp Up Problem - Electrek Article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From electrek, an article about an internal memo Elon Musk sent to Tesla employees

https://electrek.co/2020/06/08/elon-musk-tesla-model-y-production-ramp-up-problem-leaked-email/

From the memo (emphasis added by me):

It is extremely important for us to ramp up Model Y production and minimize rectification needs. I want you to know that it really makes a difference to Tesla right now.

A couple ways this could shake out in my crystal ball:

Optimistic: the realization that volume and quality are both important drives improvements in production that minimize the defects that are being reported at the delivery centers. Though some have pointed out that the forum represents a relatively small sample of all Model Y deliveries, not posting here does not mean all other deliveries were without defects.

Pessimistic: if there’s pressure from the top-down and delivery centers will have their warranty work and delivery issues scrutinized, there could be pressure to stop accepting defects, or additional tactics to objection-handle vs. fix.

Last edited:
Indeed, as a new Model Y Red PUP owner, we are definitely feeling this.

“It is extremely important for us to ramp up Model Y production and minimize rectification needs. I want you to know that it really makes a difference to Tesla right now.“

Why can’t he say the word quality?

Hence my “pessimistic” crystal ball.

You can easily reduce “recitification needs” without improving quality if you put pressure on your delivery center managers to lower their reported rates of defects through aggressive objection-handling tactics. For example, incremental, money-out-the-door orders to body shops could be scrutinized, as that hits op-ex and will negatively impact the financials.

• Informative
Reactions: CyberShy
54FF36E6-CF95-4CB2-A4AA-2ECA04637255.jpeg
3993B565-5618-416B-A4AD-37054CDBCDAB.jpeg
02697EE3-C97A-4240-B30A-158BBF5163F6.jpeg
65E52224-0D48-4405-8CB1-4D4E95D8B9AC.jpeg
From my perspective my model y has a lower build quality than my model three has last year.

There are numerous dings in the paint. Which I am just going to accept, and on top of that the doors are misaligned and so are the mirrors.

Still love the car but I could see these things being a huge problem for someone else...

Unfortunately it is over 100 miles as the ride home from the pick up center was 100 miles so I’m not going to press the paint issues, but I sent a sent a service request in anyway and hopefully they will fix the doors and at least touch up the paint..

What’s pathetic is a freaking KIA has much better build quality standards than a Tesla. No way I’d accept a car like pictured above, much less pay a premium for it.
There is no reason every car coming off the Tesla assembly line can’t be put together consistently and near perfectly. I can’t think of a single car mfr. that sells something sold in the US that poorly assembled.

If they have a quality control system in place, it needs a severe makeover. A final inspection should not allow the majority of these defects to pass through and allow shipment. I'd be curious what an ISO auditor would find in their policy manual versus what is being implemented on the production floor.

I don’t think it is just QC. I don’t know how the dents on my car happen unless the process is poor. They aren’t on areas that would get dinged easily...

Inside lip of the frunk bumper, lower inside edge of the door, top of the a pillar....

The headline makes it sound like there are huge issues. The email seemed like an letter of encouragement from Elon.

It's enough of an issue that Elon "...will be walking the line personally every week."

It didn't sound like a "I'll be dropping by to high five everyone," more like "this has my full attention and it will get fixed."

The fact that he called out a particular assembly line (GA4) may explain the inconsistent experiences, where some Model Ys are reportedly perfect and others look like they were slapped together as quickly as possible and rushed out the door.

I don’t think it is just QC. I don’t know how the dents on my car happen unless the process is poor. They aren’t on areas that would get dinged easily...

Inside lip of the frunk bumper, lower inside edge of the door, top of the a pillar....
There should be two points of final inspection. One at the factory and another at the delivery center. If there's a large occurrence of defects found at one place and/or the other, the process should be reviewed at the factory, root cause analysis, etc. Manufacturing, regardless if it's automotive or non-automotive, have quality procedures and processes in place to minimize defects.