Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: Tesla Model S Plaid To Have Structural Battery, 4680 Cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amped-
Why don’t you just relax. All this vendetta throughout all the threads. Ed Niedermeyer comes to mind -you are beating a dead horse. Buy another car and get happy.
I'm wondering why he hasn't changed his sig file by now, with this seething hatred he has for Tesla.
I find it amusing how you follow my infrequent posts yet I have no idea who either of you are.

I think you guys/gals are confused. I love my car. Tesla was a different company back then, when they actually cared about their customers. Remember when Tesla actually under-promised and over-delivered?

Before it lied about P90D performance, got sued, and had to issue refunds to owners. Before it lied about AP timetable, taking peoples' money 2 years before it ever saw the light of day on the eve of a class action lawsuit being filed. Before it lied about shipping a million robo-taxis in 2020. Before it lied about FSD delivery timeframe. Before it flushed $250M of investor money down the toilet on a failed Model 3 assembly line that lived in the defective imagination of Tesla's emotionally unstable CEO. Before it decided to build poor quality Model 3s out of a tent in the Fremont parking lot. Before it decided that the best quality Teslas will be available to non-US customers in China and Germany. I could keep going...

My club forum is filled with complaints about Model 3/Y build quality, including missing fastening bolts from battery packs. Tesla is an energy company, not a car company. After a decade it still cannot competently build cars in a facility that pumped out high quality Toyota vehicles for many years. All of these problems have one thing in common: A volatile, emotionally stunted, and logistically inept CEO.

You do you. If you don't like my criticism of your precious brand, and you don't appreciate my lack of hero worship, then please move on. Add me to your ignore list. Wasting your time commenting on people you don't agree with, and whom you will never convince to become a groupie, is a poor use of your time.

Last edited:
I find it amusing how you follow my infrequent posts yet I have no idea who either of you are.
I don't "follow" your posts. I read the sections on battery and charging on all the models, and I just happen to find that is where a lot of your complaining keeps showing up.
I think you guys/gals are confused. I love my car. Tesla was a different company back then, when they actually cared about their customers. Remember when Tesla actually under-promised and over-delivered?
Mmm, they've always had a mixed bag on that. I have long complained about their terrible communication. They have always sucked at that. And Musk has always over-promised and under-delivered on schedules. There are things that should be said in an inside voice as a stretch goal for employees, but Musk opens his big ole mouth and announces those things to the public. He needs to learn the difference of internal goals versus things to be announced. He needs to be in a different role, like Senior Product Architect or something and not be doing much speaking to the public and making announcements.
Before it lied about P90D performance, got sued, and had to issue refunds to owners.
I remember that.
Before it lied about AP timetable, taking peoples' money 2 years before it ever saw the light of day on the eve of a class action lawsuit being filed.
I thought they have generally been saying "soon" on that, and I have always recommended people to not buy that, because it could be years before some of that stuff gets state regulatory approval, regardless of what is in the cars.
Before it lied about shipping a million robo-taxis in 2020.
You misunderstood that, as did a lot of other people. They said there would be enough cars with the capable hardware in them--not that it would be active and operating as robo-taxis.
Before it flushed $250M of investor money down the toilet on a failed Model 3 assembly line that lived in the defective imagination of Tesla's emotionally unstable CEO.
OK, a mistake trying to over automate. Companies don't make technical mistakes sometimes?
Before it decided to build poor quality Model 3s out of a tent in the Fremont parking lot.
I have not heard much problems with that any more so than the assembly lines running inside. They're all having problems. Our military uses those semi-permanent "sprung structures" all over the world. It sounds like the production quality problems are much more related to just trying to push output speed too much, rather than which assembly line it is coming from.
Before it decided that the best quality Teslas will be available to non-US customers in China and Germany.
It didn't "decide" that. That seems to be a given side effect of Chinese factory workers and operations. They can produce really high quality when held to some good standards. Americans stereotypically are not all that dedicated to boring production kinds of jobs, hence one of the reasons why a lot of manufacturing has been moving out of the U.S.
My club forum is filled with complaints about Model 3/Y build quality, including missing fastening bolts from battery packs. Tesla is an energy company, not a car company. After a decade it still cannot competently build cars in a facility that pumped out high quality Toyota vehicles for many years. All of these problems have one thing in common:
...trying to grow too fast. Tesla is becoming a victim of its own success. It debuts amazing looking products that have huge response of demand from customers, and then before they have that stabilized, they are debuting the next thing, and the next. And prioritizing the growth story of # of cars produced and sold is hurting them, as they are not making sure to keep their foundation solid with customer service, service center staffing and capacity, and manageable production levels that can keep a good quality standard. We see this from lots of types of companies who get too excited about speed of growth.
You do you. If you don't like my criticism of your precious brand, and you don't appreciate my lack of hero worship, then please move on. Add me to your ignore list. Wasting your time commenting on people you don't agree with, and whom you will never convince to become a groupie, is a poor use of your time.
And now this is just you making assumptions and accusations and insults about me.

Reactions: Ritz
I'll be 75 by then. Should I think about replacing my 2020 MS Raven Performance with Plaid? Or should I just surrender to old age and try to be a chilled-out, front-porch-sitting, rocking-chair-bound, beer-sipping grandpa?
Get the plaid and let er rip! Terrorize the neighborhood. Remember, youth is fleeting, but immaturity can last forever!

Structural does not necessarily mean non-replaceable.

The engine on a Formula One car is usually a structural member - components of the rear suspension mount to hard points on the engine. But that doesn't mean it's not replaceable. Just not easily replaceable like the 2012-2021 Model S batteries, which were designed to be quickly removed from below the car.

So instead of about 1/2 hour labor to R&R a battery pack, it;'s probably more like an 8-hour ICE engine R&R job or worse.

I severely doubt Tesla would mount the pack so deep inside the car that a premature battery failure would render a car junk. That would cost them too much in terms of warranty and reputation in an "a $10 piece of wire came loose in the battery pack and now a $150K car is useful only for parts" situation.