Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is starting to go off the rails. To reign things back in I have a few remarks:

Be mindful of comments that start to sound like personal attacks. Try to keep it fact based and polite.

We already have plenty of threads on Martin Eberhard. Discussion about what he's up to can go, for example, here: What will Martin do Next?

No one is the de facto voice of TMC. Speak only for yourself.

Chelsea Sexton on EV advocacy.

It so happens I disagree with her on the relevance of plugin-hybrids, fast-charging, and appear to have a much more favorable view of Elon and his strategy. In the current time, those are important points. I also disagree on things like that tax credits should be limited to Volt and cheaper, I think it should be more proportional to battery size. I do agree with her that they should apply at the time of sale. I liked her in "Who killed the electric car", and her comments are most of the time worth thinking about, but I just happen to disagree with her on a lot of "details", including some important details.

I think Martin is a good engineer and thinker, but not CEO level for a company the kind Tesla needs to be. His time at that is irrevocably over, and in my view, the sooner the oldtimers understand that, the better.

I also agree with Chelsea that currently the "EV community" is too complacent. Survival of EVs through the current phase will require tough steps, and even though long-term success is very likely, the success of current tech, companies, and products is far from guaranteed. However so far I think Tesla is the company which is making those steps (and that appears to be coming from Elon).

Following up on an earlier comment... and hopefully avoiding any silly irrelevant personality controversies... can a "financial guy" run a technology company?

Well, from what I've seen the answer is often "no". Technology companies sometimes get into trouble and boot the CEO and put the CFO in his place. That might work extremely well in the short-term, but in the long term a lack of vision for the company results in stagnation and eventual collapse.

Apple is the obvious example - it continued its rise on momentum after Scully took over, indeed did much better at first, but it ultimately lost its focus and floundered - until Jobs returned and rocketed it forwards.

We've seen something similar happen at several local companies. Except for the bit about the founder returning and rescuing it...

That's not to say a "financial guy" can't have the kind of drive, focus, and vision necessary to build a company. I just don't think you should take even a talented "accountant" (CFO) and put him in the CEO slot.

Clearly Elon is not just a "financial guy", although his financial resources were instrumental. Martin's original contributions were obviously important, but it's pretty clear that Elon is absolutely essential to Tesla at it's current stage of development.

Clearly Elon is not just a "financial guy", although his financial resources were instrumental. Martin's original contributions were obviously important, but it's pretty clear that Elon is absolutely essential to Tesla at it's current stage of development.
I completely agree. Elon is taking this whole thing from a couple of guy's dreams into reality. If I was Martin, I would be very proud of what the baby is growing up to be. Sometimes, you just have to let go. The baby becomes an adult and life goes on.

I completely agree. Elon is taking this whole thing from a couple of guy's dreams into reality. If I was Martin, I would be very proud of what the baby is growing up to be. Sometimes, you just have to let go. The baby becomes an adult and life goes on.

Martin is probably happy with the success, not his name being scrubbed from it though. His situation sucks, but I still think the company is in a good spot it may not have been in otherwise.

Africa? Australia?

Probably the former since it's his homeland, though perhaps he's up for a change.

wheels-lutz-via-blog480.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.