Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From a biological sense it would make sense, but eugenics isn't necessarily an ethical philosophy. Besides we don't really know what parts of the genome controls a persons intelligence.
That reminds me of an old joke. Marilyn Monroe says to Albert Einstein "We should get married. Our kids could have your brains and my looks." Einstein replies to her "But what if they have my looks and your brains?"

Elon Musk's Resume Condensed Down To Just One Page - Here It Is
upload_2016-4-25_23-38-55.png

• Love
Reactions: Lex
You guys just got a big mention in the opening of this article about Elon Musk. My facebook group has nearly 19,000 members but never gets a mention in the media. :)

With the Model 3, will Tesla’s cult-like following stay that way?

"Elon Musk is held in high regard around the world. But you’ll be hard-pressed to find a group of people who hang on his every word, move, tweet more than those who have literally put their money where their mouth is, bought a Tesla and now spend their days contributing to a close to the 12,000-member Tesla-owners Facebook group.

Tesla owners around the world post in the group daily, either bashing another company’s sorry attempt at vehicle electrification, regaling Tesla’s newest line of vehicles or discussing what it’s like to be a Tesla owner. After scrolling through the hundreds of comments posted on the group, one thing is made abundantly clear: Tesla owners love — and are truly emotional about — being Tesla owners."

• Funny
Reactions: lianregnif
Oops. Wrong section. My bad. Scroll down a few more paragraphs.

"The Facebook group is certainly not the only group Tesla owners have created that is completely devoted to their vehicles — there are at least dozens of forums, websites and clubs dedicated to owning Teslas. The earliest created, and largest, is the Tesla Motors Club, which also serves as a central forum for a number of other local Tesla groups."

Years of repeated study agree with you that IQ has no measurable correlation with economic performance, nor with scientific achievement. All those numerous datums offer is that non-intelligence factors far outweigh intelligence in typical success measures.

From experience in graduate school testing legions of volunteers using MB, MMPI and several IQ tests I will offer the non-scientific observation that the higher the IQ the more interesting the person. That's it!

That said I really like very high IQ executives. They often do things that seem impossible to people not quite so culturally aware. I admit I own a Tesla, have two on order and am a long time Apple fan. Come to think of it I like peanut butter, a/c and d/c. If anybody can help avert human disaster it will probably by somebody with a very high IQ. If anybody definitively causes human disaster that probably will be somebody with a very high IQ.

I am happy Elon is one of the good guys!

That's true in one sense but completely misleading in another.

Classically there's no real correlation between IQ above a floor and measures of success.
In the modern developed world however there is in fact a very strong correlation driven by the fact we filter access to credentials critical to success by IQ test.

SAT/GRE/LSAT/MCAT etc are mass IQ tests. They are the filter for getting into the best colleges and graduate schools. Those credentials in turn determine access to the job tracks that lead to wealth, power and most measures of success.

Elon Musk is very much a product of this filtering system. So are most of the other founders and leaders of Silicon Valley.

As products of this filter, they tend to favor it. Silicon Valley hires on the basis of IQ and the practice is increasing in many institutions. There are a number of good proxies for IQ tests. One is acceptance to an IVY League school. Not graduation or records, just acceptance. The Ivy League maintains it's reputation for quality by the necessary expedient of only admitting high IQ students. Harvard tried dropping SATs briefly but it quickly became apparent they'd rapidly become a second rate school despite their massive endowment.

Last edited:

Classically there's no real correlation between IQ above a floor and measures of success.
In the modern developed world however there is in fact a very strong correlation driven by the fact we filter access to credentials critical to success by IQ test.

SAT/GRE/LSAT/MCAT etc are mass IQ tests...
That is a common misconception, but it is just that. The various academic tests measure cultural awareness and some degree of specific academic background, depending on the tests. To be sure a stupid person will not be a high scorer on any of these, but they, none of them, have a strong correlation with IQ beyond eliminating the bottom.

IQ tests regularly reveal no special correlation with later measures of accomplishment, but the academic tests are another story. Their very success in measuring cultural awareness causes major conflict based on the idea of prejudice.

If we really want to have fun with this subject just look at the recent national winners in most of the standardized tests. There are a couple of huge modes for Indians (subcontinental or from elsewhere) and Chinese. Both of these groups dedicate huge resources to training and motivation, not so much on 'fun'. Elon Musk clearly is emotionally part of this psychology and we're all better off for it.

SAT/GRE/LSAT/MCAT etc are mass IQ tests. They are the filter for getting into the best colleges and graduate schools. Those credentials in turn determine access to the job tracks that lead to wealth, power and most measures of success.

Elon Musk is very much a product of this filtering system. So are most of the other founders and leaders of Silicon Valley.

As products of this filter, they tend to favor it. Silicon Valley hires on the basis of IQ and the practice is increasing in many institutions. There are a number of good proxies for IQ tests. One is acceptance to an IVY League school. Not graduation or records, just acceptance. The Ivy League maintains it's reputation for quality by the necessary expedient of only admitting high IQ students. Harvard tried dropping SATs briefly but it quickly became apparent they'd rapidly become a second rate school despite their massive endowment.
I'd question that. Elon Musk grew up in South Africa. South Africa has a different education system than the US. Different countries have different testing regimes and standards. I can't speak for South Africa, but Canada has no tests to enter university. Entrance is based on grade 12 marks. Elon Musk started his university career in Canada, it must be noted, then transferred to the US.

I'd question that. Elon Musk grew up in South Africa. South Africa has a different education system than the US. Different countries have different testing regimes and standards. I can't speak for South Africa, but Canada has no tests to enter university. Entrance is based on grade 12 marks. Elon Musk started his university career in Canada, it must be noted, then transferred to the US.

That's mostly correct as far as I know, but doesn't really clash with my point.
It's simply false that Canada has no tests to enter university and many require SAT or ACT. The most selective and competitive universities generally require SATs. There isn't really a Canadian equivalent to the Ivy League. Top Canadian students generally go to US universities as did Elon when he got the chance.Elon had a HS background at a very elite SA high school so I'd agree he probably had no difficulty getting into Queens. I suspect he took GREs to apply to grad school at Stanford.

My point though was about the system he succeeded in in general.

That is a common misconception, but it is just that. The various academic tests measure cultural awareness and some degree of specific academic background, depending on the tests. To be sure a stupid person will not be a high scorer on any of these, but they, none of them, have a strong correlation with IQ beyond eliminating the bottom.

IQ tests regularly reveal no special correlation with later measures of accomplishment, but the academic tests are another story. Their very success in measuring cultural awareness causes major conflict based on the idea of prejudice.

If we really want to have fun with this subject just look at the recent national winners in most of the standardized tests. There are a couple of huge modes for Indians (subcontinental or from elsewhere) and Chinese. Both of these groups dedicate huge resources to training and motivation, not so much on 'fun'. Elon Musk clearly is emotionally part of this psychology and we're all better off for it.

I'd suggest you review the literature on that again :) There's a very tight correlation that a lot of effort is expended on maintaining. SATs are pretty much accepted at face value as a proxy for IQ score in the scientific literature. There's a lot of politics about this (not among psychologists or anybody that's informed though). It's lead to efforts to superficially obscure the connection. Old SATs just added a zero. Population norm was 1000 and maximum was 1600. Remind you of anything? The correlation is just as close as ever but there's some effort to obscure it.

Those same groups and individuals score just as well on IQ tests. There are very large group differences in distribution of IQ. Test prep makes some difference but what ends up happening is it just gets baked into the test norms. This isn't fair to individuals often but it doesn't change much over populations. If you think you can take a kid at the 50th percentile and bring them up to the 98% where they have a chance at admission with your test prep skills, you should open a school.

I'd suggest you review the literature on that again :) There's a very tight correlation that a lot of effort is expended on maintaining. SATs are pretty much accepted at face value as a proxy for IQ score in the scientific literature.
I'd love links. Not questioning your sincerity, but it's useful to link to your supporting literature, as it's interesting for everyone reading. It also saves many people searching when the one making the claim does it first.

Thanks in advance.

Years of repeated study agree with you that IQ has no measurable correlation with economic performance, nor with scientific achievement. All those numerous datums offer is that non-intelligence factors far outweigh intelligence in typical success measures.

From experience in graduate school testing legions of volunteers using MB, MMPI and several IQ tests I will offer the non-scientific observation that the higher the IQ the more interesting the person. That's it!

That said I really like very high IQ executives. They often do things that seem impossible to people not quite so culturally aware. I admit I own a Tesla, have two on order and am a long time Apple fan. Come to think of it I like peanut butter, a/c and d/c. If anybody can help avert human disaster it will probably by somebody with a very high IQ. If anybody definitively causes human disaster that probably will be somebody with a very high IQ.

I am happy Elon is one of the good guys!

Myers and Briggs found a pretty tight correlation between IQ scores and MBTI type with INTJ ahead of the pack by a decent margin. They also found some correlation between GPA in school and type. The 4 IN__ types had the highest IQ scores and the two IN_J types had the highest GPAs.

The 4 EN__ types also scored above average IQ scores. IQ tests stress the type of skills intuitive types tend to have so it's natural they do well on them. As a result Mensa is around 85% intuitive and they are a minority in the general population.

Intuitives tend to be good at thinking outside the box. Sometimes to their detriment, Mensa's consulting psychologist collected stories of dumb things Mensans had done. They will be more likely to come up with ideas nobody has thought of. From all I've seen, Tesla looks like a nest of intuitives. The problems with Model X were due to a bunch of intuitives thinking pie in the sky instead of thinking about the practical details of production. However, their thinking big has also brought us to the cusp of a revolution in the auto business.

I'm not sure what they have done with the GRE, but the SAT no longer correlates with IQ scores. Mensa will take older SAT scores, but do not consider SAT scores from the last 20 years valid for IQ purposes. In the mid-90s they changed the test to be more of a test of knowledge than a test of more like an IQ test which is more of a test of how to think things through and how you learn.

Many years ago I saw a woman for a while who was a Triple Niner (IQ in the top 0.1%). She said she had been to a gathering of Triple Niners once and she said there was a 50/50 split, half the group were completely dysfunctional barely able to tie their own shoelaces and the other half were quite successful with lives that worked. When I knew her she was working on a chiropractic degree at Western States in Portland. She had worked in the business world for a while after getting degrees in Electrical Engineering and Mathematics. Her life pretty much worked.

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
Status
Not open for further replies.