Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We matter because we are created in our creators image and life is eternal.
You and I will have to agree to disagree. I think there is no rational basis or any evidence I can determine that supports your statement.
I just watched it twice again. I still think that I am correct. The gentleman asking the question directly asks him if he thinks we are in a simulation and Elons response is "no."
That is not what I heard.
Elon couldn't have any more clearly have stated that he thinks it's a "1 in billions chance that we are in base reality". That's a direct quote.
That is what I heard. It is a direct quote from the video. It is what Elon said.

Reactions: Grendal
This is why you follow the one who walked on water.

Chauncy Gardner?

The background line is appropriate to the discussion though: "Life is a state of mind."

That's it for me. I feel like I am proselytizing. I apologize if I got a little too snarky. I guarantee you that Elon would be fine with whichever beliefs you choose to believe in. I am too, as long as your beliefs don't hurt others.

Sounds like you also believe we're in a simulation.
As I said in the beginning Elon makes a good point. Elon and I seem to draw similar conclusions. He believes we live in a world/game created by aliens with no rulebook. I believe we live in a world created by the God of Abraham, Isaac, & Jacob as told in a book thousands of years old. Which one sounds more believable?
I love Elon and hope he finds the truth.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yuri_G
Everyone is assuming the simulation is not astronomically complex. It doesn't matter if the universe is a simulation or not. Relatively it is "real" to us.
It only matters to people who desire to know the truth and have concerns about their eternal future. I imagine it matters to Elon because he is seeking the truth. He is in search mode like most of all humanity. It's important to exit "seek mode" before entering "death mode".

As I said in the beginning Elon makes a good point. Elon and I seem to draw similar conclusions. He believes we live in a world/game created by aliens with no rulebook. I believe we live in a world created by the God of Abraham, Isaac, & Jacob as told in a book thousands of years old. Which one sounds more believable?
I love Elon and hope he finds the truth.

Haha hoho. There's absolutely nothing that makes a world created by the God of Abraham more of less believable than any other possible world.

Once again a religious person demonstrates that religion is based on flawed cognitive processes.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndreN
He believes we live in a world/game created by aliens with no rulebook. I believe we live in a world created by the God of Abraham, Isaac, & Jacob as told in a book thousands of years old. Which one sounds more believable?
If those are the only two choices, I'm with Elon. But I do not think those are the only two choices.

It only matters to people who desire to know the truth and have concerns about their eternal future. I imagine it matters to Elon because he is seeking the truth. He is in search mode like most of all humanity. It's important to exit "seek mode" before entering "death mode".

I doubt it. And this thread, let alone this forum, is the wrong place to "seek the truth". Seek elsewhere, no proselytizing here, thank you.

I doubt it. And this thread, let alone this forum, is the wrong place to "seek the truth". Seek elsewhere, no proselytizing here, thank you.

I personally enjoyed the discussion. We may have fundamentally disagreed but the discussion was creative and interesting for me.

Back to the subject:

Elon Musk on Twitter:

"At this point, I'm really running out of crazy things to say. Any suggestions?"

with a reference to:
We're Probably All Living Inside An Alien's Giant Computer Game Says Musk

Which is an ongoing theme from him that everything he says is misinterpreted, overanalyzed, and plastered all over the media.

Reactions: neroden
Elon's latest tweet:

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 9h9 hours ago
Creating a neural lace is the thing that really matters for humanity to achieve symbiosis with machines

And here is an article on what a "neural lace" is:

http://gizmodo.com/scientists-just-invented-the-neural-lace-1711540938

I think Elon and many others over estimate the importance of such an invasive computer --> biological brain interface. Humans already have excellent input interfaces: the visual system, the auditory system, the proprioceptive system (touch etc) and smell. Thorough these we are able to interact very well with almost any aspect of the external environment. (Interestingly, if you think about it the brain only has two output interfaces with which to make anything happen in the body and with which to manipulate the external world; the muscles and glands/hormones.)

Reactions: neroden
Elon's latest tweet:

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 9h9 hours ago
Creating a neural lace is the thing that really matters for humanity to achieve symbiosis with machines

And here is an article on what a "neural lace" is:

http://gizmodo.com/scientists-just-invented-the-neural-lace-1711540938

upload_2016-6-4_19-2-10.png

I think Elon and many others over estimate the importance of such an invasive computer --> biological brain interface. Humans already have excellent input interfaces: the visual system, the auditory system, the proprioceptive system (touch etc) and smell. Thorough these we are able to interact very well with almost any aspect of the external environment. (Interestingly, if you think about it the brain only has two output interfaces with which to make anything happen in the body and with which to manipulate the external world; the muscles and glands/hormones.)

1298870262205761965.jpg

Elon tweeted this article:Elon Musk thinks we all live in a video game. So what if we do?

I totally get what it's saying but also it seems like he's basically saying who cares if we are in a simulation, go and enjoy your blissful, blind life....a 'do what you want' because it doesn't matter since we can't tell, but what about if that's the point of those who created us - to see if our civilization will have the brain power to find out or just be lemmings.....or maybe that's how it continues, civilization after civilization creating VRs never knowing what is real.....I get the end where he talks about Elon, and how we shouldn't just sit here and doing nothing, but I'm not sure we should stop questioning either....

Humans already have excellent input interfaces: the visual system, the auditory system, the proprioceptive system (touch etc) and smell. Thorough these we are able to interact very well with almost any aspect of the external environment
Human senses have been just adequate to help ensure reproductive success which is all that matters from an evolutionary point of view. In reality they are quite limited. We can only "see" a very limited range of electromagnetic frequencies, our hearing is also severely frequency limited (and degrades significantly as we age), our sense of smell is very limited compared to many other mammals, our sense of touch is not particularly remarkable.

You seem to regard human sensory capabilities as exceptional, but in fact they are not. Our information processing capabilities are exceptional compared to almost all other terrestrial organisms (as far as we know). They may not be anywhere near exceptional compared to some other sentient beings in the universe, but that has yet to be determined.

Elon spoke of humans being "I/O bound", meaning our ability to input and output information is a limiting factor compared to our processing capacity. I think he is correct. If we could be directly connected, with a high bandwidth, to a digital assistant, that could be awesome. But such a possibility seems many years off, as in not in this century in my opinion. Of course I could be wrong...

Elon tweeted this article:Elon Musk thinks we all live in a video game. So what if we do?
I totally get what it's saying but also it seems like he's basically saying who cares if we are in a simulation, go and enjoy your blissful, blind life....a 'do what you want' because it doesn't matter since we can't tell, but what about if that's the point of those who created us - to see if our civilization will have the brain power to find out or just be lemmings.....or maybe that's how it continues, civilization after civilization creating VRs never knowing what is real.....I get the end where he talks about Elon, and how we shouldn't just sit here and doing nothing, but I'm not sure we should stop questioning either....
If we are indeed living in a perfect simulation, perfect in the sense that we are unable to detect that it is in fact a simulation, then we have to live as if what we perceive is "reality", because our perceived reality can kill us. It effects us in concrete ways, obviously. We have to treat it as "real".

So we do have to figure out how to reduce and adapt to climate change, and make sure we get enough food every day, and continue to try to understand how the universe works using science, because that is how we will ensure our survival. Our survival will not be ensured by ignoring climate change, by memorizing ancient religious texts, by ignoring what science tells us about how the universe works.

Status
Not open for further replies.