Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who should we gush over if not the dude that is single handedly solving climate change. Actions, not words.

I think you're joking, but I can't tell.

When I bought my Roadster in 2011 Elon was saying that Tesla's goal was to break into the market with a hand-built high-performance electric sports car, then build a less-expensive luxury sedan, and work their way down to building an affordable electric family car. When I bought my Model 3 I thought that this was supposed to be that affordable family car, with a base price of US$30K. Now that base price is $45K. Musk has apparently given up on the idea of building electric cars that ordinary working people could buy. And meanwhile he goes everywhere in his private jet. How many Teslas worth of "green" does he wipe out every time he flies in his jet?

Electric cars are far less damaging to the climate than gas cars, but they're not going to "solve" climate change. Tesla builds luxury cars for those of us who can afford them. They're the best cars on the road and I love being able to drive electric. But to solve climate change we have to STOP burning fossil fuels, and we have to figure out how to start removing CO2 from the atmosphere.

Transportation accounts for 27% of U.S. CO2 emissions. But luxury cars (the market Tesla is operating in) probably account for 10% of that. So Musk is "working" to reduce CO2 emissions by 3% once all luxury cars are electric in 20 to 30 years. Though by then there will be many more EV makers, so even if Tesla keeps 1/3 of the luxury EV market, Tesla would reduce U.S. emissions by 1%.

And then there's the rest of the world.

No, Musk is not "singlehandedly solving climate change."

Solar and wind require batteries. What percentage of batteries come from tech that hasn't come from autos. Auto batteries would barely exist without Mr Musk from Los Anglesles (or however the locals spell it).

Climate is a solved problem - just execution.
"Auto batteries" are completely dependent upon cell chemistry advances, most of which are not happening at Tesla. Tesla is leveraging the best of existing technology and is helping to push it's development but they have not made any chemistry breakthroughs. Most of Tesla's cell technology is coming from Panasonic in the case of NCA and CATL in the case of LFP. If Tesla can leverage the DBE process they bought from Maxwell to significantly improve the energy density of the 4680 cells that would be their first mostly in house breakthrough but it's not here yet.

Reactions: mattjs33 and TSLY
I think you're joking, but I can't tell.

When I bought my Roadster in 2011 Elon was saying that Tesla's goal was to break into the market with a hand-built high-performance electric sports car, then build a less-expensive luxury sedan, and work their way down to building an affordable electric family car. When I bought my Model 3 I thought that this was supposed to be that affordable family car, with a base price of US$30K. Now that base price is $45K. Musk has apparently given up on the idea of building electric cars that ordinary working people could buy. And meanwhile he goes everywhere in his private jet. How many Teslas worth of "green" does he wipe out every time he flies in his jet?

Electric cars are far less damaging to the climate than gas cars, but they're not going to "solve" climate change. Tesla builds luxury cars for those of us who can afford them. They're the best cars on the road and I love being able to drive electric. But to solve climate change we have to STOP burning fossil fuels, and we have to figure out how to start removing CO2 from the atmosphere.

Transportation accounts for 27% of U.S. CO2 emissions. But luxury cars (the market Tesla is operating in) probably account for 10% of that. So Musk is "working" to reduce CO2 emissions by 3% once all luxury cars are electric in 20 to 30 years. Though by then there will be many more EV makers, so even if Tesla keeps 1/3 of the luxury EV market, Tesla would reduce U.S. emissions by 1%.

And then there's the rest of the world.

No, Musk is not "singlehandedly solving climate change."
Accelerating transition - others have to execute.

Cars lead to Semis and smaller cars. Semis lead to ships and trains etc.

Governments and home builders need to design in solar roof and storage.

Elon wants to do a jet also.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
"Auto batteries" are completely dependent upon cell chemistry advances, most of which are not happening at Tesla. Tesla is leveraging the best of existing technology and is helping to push it's development but they have not made any chemistry breakthroughs. Most of Tesla's cell technology is coming from Panasonic in the case of NCA and CATL in the case of LFP. If Tesla can leverage the DBE process they bought from Maxwell to significantly improve the energy density of the 4680 cells that would be their first mostly in house breakthrough but it's not here yet.
You are making excuses for those in power and not taking action. Batteries are good enough already.

• Love
You are making excuses for those in power and not taking action.
I neither said nor implied any such thing, I simply explained that EV's are the result of cell chemistry energy density which developed independently of Elon. Many DIY'ers and a few companies were building EV's before Tesla, (including JB Straubel), they were always waiting for the cell density to catch up and allow what we knew was possible. Nissan Prairie Joy came out in 1997 using cylindrical lithium ion cells.

I neither said nor implied any such thing, I simply explained that EV's are the result of cell chemistry energy density which developed independently of Elon. Many DIY'ers and a few companies were building EV's before Tesla, (including JB Straubel), they were always waiting for the cell density to catch up and allow what we knew was possible. Nissan Prairie Joy came out in 1997 using cylindrical lithium ion cells.
I agree to disagree. I wish to spread love and as Elon said, "I am not naturally capricious".

• Love
Accelerating transition - others have to execute.

Tesla deserves credit for demonstrating what an electric car can be and for changing public perception. Musk deserves credit for putting a bucket of money into Tesla. But that's in the past. At present Tesla is building the best luxury cars on the road, and they're electric. But Tesla has abandoned its promise of building an affordable electric car for the masses. And Musk does nothing but fly around in his private jet and shoot off his mouth.

Tesla got the ball rolling. But today Tesla and Elon are no longer contributing to progress. They're only profiting from what they started over a decade ago. And building luxury cars for those of us that can afford them. I was talking to a man the other day who had his heart set on a Model 3. Then Elon raised the price again and now he cannot afford it.

Cars lead to Semis and smaller cars. Semis lead to ships and trains etc.

Trains in Europe are already electric. There is no push at all to convert American trains to electric. (Most trains in America are diesel-electric serial hybrids: Diesel engines provide all the power; electric motors drive the train.)

Ships will never be electric, though they could conceivably be diesel-electric hybrid like trains. European electric trains run on overhead electric wires. Not possible for ships.

Governments and home builders need to design in solar roof and storage.

True, but unrelated to Elon Musk.

Elon wants to do a jet also.

Electric "jet" engines already exist in prototype airplanes today. If Elon wants to build one he's late to the party. But they'll never be an alternative to conventional jet engines for large or long-haul commercial jetliners, for the simple reason that batteries are heavy. A car can carry a heavy battery pack. An electric airplane (and these exist and if you are a pilot you can buy one today) are limited to short range. They are a hobbyist's toy, and there is some interest among airlines for a very small, short-hop passenger plane. We might possibly see such things in service in a decade or so. But if Elon is talking about a long-haul electric jet, he's spouting hot air.

Oh, and if Elon truly wanted to build a jet, he could just do it. With his money, what's stopping him? I'll answer that: An electric jet would be a hobbyist's toy, due to the weight of the batteries and consequent short range.

meanwhile... oof!

Attachments

• CleanShot 2022-12-27 at 13.45.12@2x.png
    CleanShot 2022-12-27 at [email protected]
    34.9 KB · Views: 47
at some point.. this becomes a very attractive buy.. probably after earnings call

The problem is that it could still be overpriced. TSLA got a huge boost from the exuberance of the market over the car company that was the electric-car industry leader and innovator. Now that people have seen what a whackjob its CEO is, who knows how low it could go? I'm sure I'm not alone in kicking myself for not selling at $400 or even $300.

Today's close was 109, which is actually where it was (adjusted for splits) when I was certain it was overpriced at $1,600 before the splits.

The problem is that it could still be overpriced. TSLA got a huge boost from the exuberance of the market over the car company that was the electric-car industry leader and innovator. Now that people have seen what a whackjob its CEO is, who knows how low it could go? I'm sure I'm not alone in kicking myself for not selling at $400 or even $300.

Today's close was 109, which is actually where it was (adjusted for splits) when I was certain it was overpriced at $1,600 before the splits.
he's behaved erratically in the past.. which kinda means that when he (inevitably) moves away from this twitter nonsense and gets back to Tesla and SpaceX normality, he will get a bit of a pass. once an erratic genius, always an erratic genius and all that. but cars are going electric.. and TSLA has economies of scale, technology advantages and innovations in the pipeline that will still win out in the end. there will be a bottom and the stock will inevitably rebound.

Tesla's market share is ~2% globally and will improve given Giga Berlin is now online. I'll buy soon.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Musk is the same person who said this would be over by April 2020.

I don’t see what Fauci has to gain with being a criminal but whatever
Some people did not enjoy COVID. Some people need a boogeyman. Random global events are too much to make sense of, but blaming one man is very easy. It's the weak mind virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.