Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon instructed Tesla engineers to fake the 2016 Model X self driving video and then lied about the capabilities. Unfortunate Trevor Milton vibes.

"A 2016 video that Tesla (TSLA.O) used to promote its self-driving technology was staged to show capabilities like stopping at a red light and accelerating at a green light that the system did not have, according to testimony by a senior engineer."

"But the Model X was not driving itself with technology Tesla had deployed, Ashok Elluswamy, director of Autopilot software at Tesla, said in the transcript of a July deposition taken as evidence in a lawsuit against Tesla for a 2018 fatal crash involving a former Apple (AAPL.O) engineer."

"Elluswamy said Tesla’s Autopilot team set out to engineer and record a “demonstration of the system’s capabilities” at the request of Musk.""

"When Tesla released the video, Musk tweeted, “Tesla drives itself (no human input at all) thru urban streets to highway to streets, then finds a parking spot.”"

I figured Tesla was going to end up in a lot of legal trouble over their AP claims at some point.

I figured Tesla was going to end up in a lot of legal trouble over their AP claims at some point.

Just a nit-pick: The faked video sounds like "FSD" rather than AP. AP is for use on highways only. It will operate in the city, but does not navigate or stop for red lights. And in my experience, AP does what it promises excellently well. Level 2, driver fully aware and ready to take over, on the highway it keeps in its lane and adjusts its speed.

The other stuff, navigating in the city and stopping for red lights, etc., are the claims of FSD, which I don't have, but based on what I read here, is surprisingly good but far from ready to be driverless. As in, If you shut your eyes you are very likely to crash.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Just a nit-pick: The faked video sounds like "FSD" rather than AP. AP is for use on highways only. It will operate in the city, but does not navigate or stop for red lights. And in my experience, AP does what it promises excellently well. Level 2, driver fully aware and ready to take over, on the highway it keeps in its lane and adjusts its speed.

The other stuff, navigating in the city and stopping for red lights, etc., are the claims of FSD, which I don't have, but based on what I read here, is surprisingly good but far from ready to be driverless. As in, If you shut your eyes you are very likely to crash.

My bad, you're right. Momentarily forgot the right terms. They say memory is the second thing to go...

Of course woke went too far, hardly a secret that only Elon figured out, but it's far from the major problem Elon and some others cry about incessantly.
Of course it's not a secret only Elon figured out, half of the country also figured it out. As for whether it's a major problem, that's entirely subjective, just because you don't think it's a major problem doesn't mean Elon is wrong for worrying about it, just like a lot of people doesn't think avoiding extinction of humanity is a major problem yet Elon is devoting majority of his resources to backup humanity on Mars.

• Love
From the article: "The New York Times reported in 2021 that Tesla engineers had created the 2016 video to promote Autopilot without disclosing that the route had been mapped in advance or that a car had crashed in trying to complete the shoot, citing anonymous sources.", so it's old news that's over a year old yet released today just when TSLA is rising, that's not a coincidence at all... /s

• Love
From the article: "The New York Times reported in 2021 that Tesla engineers had created the 2016 video to promote Autopilot without disclosing that the route had been mapped in advance or that a car had crashed in trying to complete the shoot, citing anonymous sources.", so it's old news that's over a year old yet released today just when TSLA is rising, that's not a coincidence at all... /s
Go ahead find a way to defend the indefensible by saying it's news.

Meanwhile the rest of us realize this is why this came up now.
The previously unreported testimony by Elluswamy represents the first time a Tesla employee has confirmed and detailed how the video was produced.

Reactions: B@ndit and JRP3
Go ahead find a way to defend the indefensible by saying it's news.
What indefensible? I didn't even have to defend it because Elluswamy already did it in the testimony: "The intent of the video was not to accurately portray what was available for customers in 2016. It was to portray what was possible to build into the system"

Meanwhile the rest of us realize this is why this came up now.
That just move the question to why the testimony just happen to surface at this exact moment.

What indefensible? I didn't even have to defend it because Elluswamy already did it in the testimony: "The intent of the video was not to accurately portray what was available for customers in 2016. It was to portray what was possible to build into the system"

That just move the question to why the testimony just happen to surface at this exact moment.
Musk tweeted in 2016:

“Tesla drives itself (no human input at all) thru urban streets to highway to streets, then finds a parking spot”

The link to the video is now defunct in the tweet. Musk said nothing about the video being an example of what is possible, but what is. Nothing about “some day” or “our goal in the future”. Just a statement presented as fact.

Reactions: B@ndit and JRP3
Elon still freaking out about "population collapse". Apparently completely unaware that population growth has caused the problems that Tesla is supposed to be about solving, along with all the other huge impacts still without solutions caused by humans.

Elon still freaking out about "population collapse". Apparently completely unaware that population growth has caused the problems that Tesla is supposed to be about solving, along with all the other huge impacts still without solutions caused by humans.

What’s the alternative? Selective culling?
Eugenics is a very slippery path and hasn’t gone well for those who tried to implement it.

What’s the alternative? Selective culling?
Eugenics is a very slippery path and hasn’t gone well for those who tried to implement it.
whatever you do, don't make any comment about the e-word. the moderator will intervene against you. not against the person who recklessly brought it up, but against the person who objected to it being introduced. fair warning.

whatever you do, don't make any comment about the e-word. the moderator will intervene against you. not against the person who recklessly brought it up, but against the person who objected to it being introduced. fair warning.

Personal attacks on other members are forbidden here. Engaging in those will get your post moved away. It has nothing to do with "the e-word."

Personal attacks on other members are forbidden here. Engaging in those will get your post moved away. It has nothing to do with "the e-word."
Eugenics!

Certain types always jump to "Eugenics" whenever it's pointed out that:
1) Constant population growth is a problem
and
2) Declining population is beneficial and should not be feared but welcomed.

This is not sustainable

1674068119214.png

Growing population is terrible for the environment. More competition for dwindling resources, sea-level rise, ever-increasing intensity of storms, etc. But the economic systems of the industrialized world depend on ever-increasing population, as young workers support older retirees. Declining population would be great for the environment but terrible for the economy.

Supposedly the global population is expected to level out at around ten or eleven billion people, I forget when, 50 years? The problem is that as the developing nations industrialize and raise their standard of living, those ten billion people will have the environmental impact of perhaps 20 billion at today's world-average standard of living. This is probably not sustainable.

Reactions: JRP3 and DrGriz
I’m not hearing solutions that don’t veer into dangerously creepy territory or a return to serfdom for “plebs”, which would basically be anyone that isn’t the “better men” who are meeting in a Swiss town this week.
Not encouraging more breeding, like what Elon is saying should occur (and doing quite prolifically) might be a good start. Nobody here has suggested we eliminate population, they're just pushing back against Elon's opposing position.

You are literally the only person who has jumped to "creepy territory."

I’m not hearing solutions that don’t veer into dangerously creepy territory or a return to serfdom for “plebs”, which would basically be anyone that isn’t the “better men” who are meeting in a Swiss town this week.

A solution would have to involve a more equal sharing of the world's wealth, both between and within nations. But that's not going to happen. Which is why I'm pessimistic about the future of humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.