Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Points #4 and #6 in the screenshot you shared both look like they are going to generate a Cluster!@$#$!@$ if they actually go through with / enforce those.

#4, if actually followed through on, appears to create an entirely new class of FSD vehicles on the Used car market, that being "car has FSD but it wont transfer even in a private party sale". This contradicts pretty much all the guidance / instructions people have currently for used Teslas, which is "To ensure the feature stays, it needs to be a private party sale and the car needs to currently have that feature".

Agree with cluster comment. The key phrase is 'transfer FSD'. If you sell your Tesla with FSD no 'transfer' is required of FSD. The car already has the feature and keeps that feature post sale. I think they are prohibiting a secondary transfer - from the vehicle that got a transfer of FSD - to another person for them to purchase a car, nor from that vehicle to a future purchase. The wording is vague since Transfer isn't defined, but owners don't normally transfer vehicle features. It would be nice if Tesla specifically clarified this.

This happens all the time with private party sales of various items - misrepresentation. With a car sale, at least there is much more legal paperwork, including title transfers with DMV. This makes it easier for the buyer to sue to the seller in small claims court to recoup the cost of FSD once they discover the fraud.
Sure one can sue for remedy, but I'm saying this is one more wrinkle to the already confusing used-car FSD situation. I'm not arguing against the ability to transfer, far from it. I'm just pointing out that #4 in the transfer offer T&C document seems aimed at preventing a flip transaction, which is not itself dishonest or illegal but would annoy Tesla.

So, while they're internally discussing ways to prevent unintended outcomes, they might give some consideration to the issues I described. It's not just paranoid imagination, as there are frequently messages on this website from confused buyers regarding the issue of FSD on used Teslas. A portion of these are private party transactions that have nothing to do with Tesla's removal of FSD from traded-in vehicles. I'm for anything that keeps the owner community informed and happy (well, at least informed :)).

A simple idea would be to put explanatory status language in the menu Autopilot section software, just at the place where you would enable FSD features:

As of <DATE> this vehicle's previously-equipped Full Self-Driving Capability feature has been removed, per owner new-vehicle transfer request.​
Full Self Driving Capability is available in the Upgrades menu on this screen or in the Tesla app.​

(Sorry I don't know exactly what the menu looks like now for cars without FSD; the exact language could be based on that)

Reactions: Ccsdk and Dayreg
I have a 2018 M3 I bought used that came with EAP. I’ve been thinking about buying a new Model 3 or Y but never pulled the tigger and only made offers on used Model 3 and Ys that had either EAP or FSD.

However… This is catching my attention and making me wonder about the logistics of either:
Transferring EAP to a new Model 3 or Y from my current car, OR buying the cheapest Tesla with FSD just to sell and transfer FSD over to a new car. Would this work?

One major issue is… If this requires trading the car in to Tesla, the trade in offers from Tesla are horrendous.

-Paul
Are you sure you can transfer EAP to another car? I thought the offer was for FSD only.

Terrible deal since they're only valuing those cars at less than $30k. Just did a trade in value on my car with less than 50k miles on it... $23k

Yea...no...
You don't have to trade it in to Tesla. What do you think is the market price for a 2017 S <50k? The point is, you can do whatever you want with the old car and you don't have to spend $15K to get FSD on the new one.

Reactions: RayB
My money is on NO. Bet dollars to doughnuts that Tesla just removes FSD completely (doesn't even check or care if you had EAP) and sets the car to standard AP.

But when we purchased the car in 2017/2018, there was no AP, only EAP. If Tesla takes it away, we won't even have AP on our cars.

It's late 2018 or 2019 when Tesla introduced basic AP for $2000 and then later included it with every car.

Thats not what the tweet you linked to said.

They said, specifically:

======================================
I know many are wondering about whether you can sell to a 3rd party and still transfer the FSD. Vivian
@Tesla
told me YES, you can do that. So that option is still available to me.
=====================================

"Sell to a third party and still transfer FSD" does not = "FSD transfer to the next owner when you sell the car you just got with transferred FSD on it to someone else", which is what point #4 specifically says.
Upon re-reading the tweet, your interpretation makes sense. Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: Ccsdk
You don't have to trade it in to Tesla. What do you think is the market price for a 2017 S <50k? The point is, you can do whatever you want with the old car and you don't have to spend $15K to get FSD on the new one.
Cool...just saw that too.

Trade in: $33k (Carvana)
Private party: $38k+ (Local listings going for $40k)
Tesla trade in: $24k

And if I sell private party, I have to keep the current car until I take delivery of the new car, and wait until they remove the FSD...then I'm allowed to allowed to sell it. So...many people will have no down payment and have to finance $40-$100k (@ 6.5%+) and then maybe refinance a few weeks later? Seems like a lot of trouble for vaporware. Also, folks are putting a lot of faith in Tesla to do this in a timely manner. This is a good way to end up with two cars while waiting for Tesla to finish the transfer.

1689911864257.png

This forum is going to be filled with people complaining about waiting weeks or months for an FSD transfer...just my prediction.

Hack for someone to try out:
2016-2017 FSD was priced $3000 before delivery or $4000 after delivery (no end date stated)
Transfer FSD to new car
Buy FSD for old car for $4000
Profit! (Or risk getting FSD removed from the new car for gaming the system)

source:
"Tesla told Electrek that they will honor the original price for existing owners who didn’t buy the package thinking that they could later upgrade over-the-air for $4,000, but it has yet to fix the issue after we inquired several times over the past 2 months." (03-21-2018)

We know there will be factory shutdown(s) in Q3 but when and what production line changes are going to be made is open to speculation.
Any chance it would be best to wait until early September to place an order hoping the car your purchasing will include improvements from the line changes? Probably not but doesn't hurt to ask.

We know there will be factory shutdown(s) in Q3 but when and what production line changes are going to be made is open to speculation.
Any chance it would be best to wait until early September to place an order hoping the car your purchasing will include improvements from the line changes? Probably not but doesn't hurt to ask.
Of course no one can know (since we are talking Tesla). In all likelihood the factory shutdowns will only effect the Model 3.

Simple math fact for playing the odds. They are almost always more in your favor the closer to the end of a quarter we get.

Reactions: Ccsdk
Agree with cluster comment. The key phrase is 'transfer FSD'. If you sell your Tesla with FSD no 'transfer' is required of FSD. The car already has the feature and keeps that feature post sale. I think they are prohibiting a secondary transfer - from the vehicle that got a transfer of FSD - to another person for them to purchase a car, nor from that vehicle to a future purchase. The wording is vague since Transfer isn't defined, but new 3rd party buyers normally retain vehicle features.