Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WTF.... I got the email saying I can now order the AWD and Performance options and in my configurator I can’t order them. Yes, I’ve tried a couple different computers, cleared history/ cookies, etc.. Hope Tesla gets this figured out. OTOH, the wife and I are on the fence as to ordering right now. I might give in to impulse if I could order my non-P AWD 3 with the white seats...

And ordered!
Red Multi-Coat Paint
19’’ Sport Wheels
Enhanced Autopilot
All-Wheel Drive

I also updated my "registration" info and uploaded my drivers license.

Congrats! Odd that non-owners are getting priority. You're not a current or former employee or ordering under an account of a current or former employee? I'm a line waiter, owner, "Dual Motor Mid 2018" estimate, initial invite 12/15/17, and pressing refresh throughout the day. All the cool stuff is still grayed out or not shown on my configurator. :(

I was thinking of the Z06 but ok let's compare against the standard model. Regular Corvette does the quarter in high 11s. Hell even a Camaro Z28 does it in low 12s. Performance Model 3 should be destroying these cars not just having a fighting chance against them. If the acceleration drops off after the 3.5 second 0-60 is over similar to the standard Model 3 does I'm not sure if it could take the standard Corvette in the quarter.

The Corvette is a two seat sports car.

Model 3 is a compact 5 passenger sports sedan.

Not in the same class zip code.

Congrats! Odd that non-owners are getting priority. You're not a current or former employee or ordering under an account of a current or former employee? I'm a line waiter, owner, "Dual Motor Mid 2018" estimate, initial invite 12/15/17, and pressing refresh throughout the day. All the cool stuff is still grayed out or not shown on my configurator. :(

Owner and day one early line waiter here and no dual motor for me yet. For those who were given to option to configure dual motor, did you have "First Production", "Standard Battery", or "Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive" saved in the Delivery Estimator? I just left mine on the default "First Production" but I'm wondering if selecting "Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive" makes a difference in priority or if it's just for Tesla to gather data?

Something is odd about the range:

3LR - 310 miles range
3LRD - 310 miles range
3LRDP - 310 miles range

How could this be ?

Not a good sign the 3LRDP. It should have wide sticky tires. On the other hand the actual epa test was 334? for the LR so maybe the P is less but they just rated it the same for marketing reasons.

If there is a belief that 310 range for 3LR should actually be higher, then 310 for 3LRD simply doesn’t make sense at all.

3LRD should get 340 miles if you consider how much more S85D gets over S85.

Like I posted earlier...
I don't recall if someone else already suggested this, but I was thinking about the advertised EPA range for all versions of the Model 3 LR being the same and it kinda makes sense if you look at it this way: The RWD, AWD, and P versions are all using the same PMSRM as the primary drive unit and the front induction motor in the AWD and P versions is just freewheeling until performance demands activate it, which is a situation that's outside of standard EPA testing procedures. Yes, the front motor would add some weight and some extra losses through freewheeling, but those two factors wouldn't cause a significant hit to an already sandbagged range rating, no?

Remember, the original P85 had the same EPA rating as the S85 because the rear drive unit was basically the same and the ability to put down more power didn't matter in the context of EPA testing because that capability is outside the boundaries of the testing.

Also, the 20" wheels being offered on the Tesla store page are the same width as the stock 18" aero wheels.

• Helpful
Reactions: bay74 and skitown
Very interesting thread from mattcrowley which certainly shows some real promise for Model 3 at the track compared to the Model S especially with proper brakes, AWD and the performance package. I think is a key reason why Elon is very confident in this statements.

Model 3 Track Day: Laguna Seca

That thread mostly confirms that if the performance edition does not have significantly better brakes its useless around a track.

More likely each motor will be going at half power. Consistent handling, less heat at both.
I bet against that. The switched reluctance partial permanent magnet motor in the back will take 70% of the power as it is easier to cool, the induction front motor is only for short intervals full power acceleration as it will overheat easily (as with the Model S).

Reactions: mongo
This right here is why I'm a little disappointed in the 3.5 0-60 time. The 3 wouldn't stand a chance against a 911 turbo, Chevrolet Corvette or anything else that is considered quick on the drag strip. A BMW M3 might even take it in the quarter which to me is just sad.

Elon won't allow the Model 3 to lose to the M3 in the 1/4 mile.

And how many passengers can be with you while going "quick"?

Its like comparing submarines and tangerines for you people when trying to poo poo the Model 3.

A Corvette? Really? A frieken Model 3 with 3 babies in the back row in car seats can pretty much slap it around and one is going to claim its slightly faster than the other one?

Embarrassing.

I don't belong to any of the group of people you listed. I was probably 30th in line in Boston's Prudential store. Probably very few orders from Boston and that has something to do with it ? Not sure.

Owner and day one early line waiter here and no dual motor for me yet. For those who were given to option to configure dual motor, did you have "First Production", "Standard Battery", or "Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive" saved in the Delivery Estimator? I just left mine on the default "First Production" but I'm wondering if selecting "Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive" makes a difference in priority or if it's just for Tesla to gather data?
I had "First Production" selected from the beginning. The only thing I did a few times was to select "Hold my place" and picked AWD as reason, yeah I did that a few times over the past couple months, don't know why :D

They only allow them because they are better and everyone has to use the same equipment.

Formula 1 set to keep 13-inch wheels rather than going to 18-inch

"The broad consensus is that going to bigger wheels is not a good direction. From a grip point of view it's not positive."

"Like for like, such tyres will have a lower grip and the weight will go up considerably, so it's not an attractive direction performance-wise."

"I think generally we would intend to stick with the 13-inch wheels."

The real reason the teams don't want to change is because it would require a complete rethink of the design of the car, much bigger than the change we had last year. ~50% of the car's damping ability currently is through the sidewall of the tire, with the suspension itself handling the other 50%. The teams, especially the ones at the top, are change-averse when it comes to the rules. They fight back on almost everything.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I bet against that. The switched reluctance partial permanent magnet motor in the back will take 70% of the power as it is easier to cool, the induction front motor is only for short intervals full power acceleration as it will overheat easily (as with the Model S).
I thought the S and X overheat because they run the rotor cooling loop after the inverter. Seems like something that could have been fixed on the 3, unless they are using the same front motor/inverter from the S/X.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
18" wheels will clear the brakes on a Z/28. So that's what everybody runs instead of the factory 19s.

Now...

If you order the High Performance Camaro (650HP ZL1) you get 20" wheels.
If you order the Track Package Camaro (650HP ZL1 1LE) you get 19" wheels.

The 1LE needs 19" to clear the brakes. The ZL1 can use 20s for style.

People want cars that look fast. Currently massive truck sized wheels look fast. Things change.

Then why don't LMP1 cars go smaller than 18"? They, like Formula 1, are prototype cars and they can design the brakes to accommodate smaller wheels. They can go smaller than 18" if they want, but they all run 18's. The only car in recent years that I can remember that didn't was the Nissan, and that thing was a turd (for many reasons, wheels being the least of which).

Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
In the battery section? That's interesting. I can never keep track - do you have owner priority? Right now I have AWD in the drivetrain section, grayed out. But when I could configure performance, it was in the battery section. And I have owner priority, line waiter reservation.
In the battery section? I'm not sure what you are asking.

I can't even start the reservation process.

I thought the S and X overheat because they run the rotor cooling loop after the inverter. Seems like something that could have been fixed on the 3, unless they are using the same front motor/inverter from the S/X.

The squirrel cage in the rotor basically acts like a shorted turn in a transformer and has much self heating depending on resistance (torque curve depends on having a certain amount)

The rotor should be able to handle a higher temp that electronics. Need to get heat transferred from the squirrel cage through the laminations to the cooling passage. That produces a temperature gradient proportional to output power. Mass of the rotor soaks up the heat for short bursts.