Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2017-3-28_9-9-51.png

I'm a little disappointed myself

edit: just realized this confirms no HUD as that would count as a central speedometer

I continue to feel Tesla makes themselves a victim of their own signature features in this instance.

In any other case, if costs prohibited a graphical instrument cluster, there would simply be a cheaper base solution and then a paid option upwards.

But for Tesla it is big screen or go home, that is one of those things that have become a religion of sorts for them. And in this case all that leads to "go home" on the instrument cluster for Model 3, because something has to give to pay for that big battery and autonomous CPU/GPU in every car...

In the end putting a small screen there for the necessities would not have cost much, nor a simple speedometer for example. But it is not their style...

I continue to feel Tesla makes themselves a victim of their own signature features in this instance.

In any other case, if costs prohibited a graphical instrument cluster, there would simply be a cheaper base solution and then a paid option upwards.

But for Tesla it is big screen or go home, that is one of those things that have become a religion of sorts for them. And in this case all that leads to "go home" on the instrument cluster for Model 3, because something has to give to pay for that big battery and autonomous CPU/GPU in every car...

In the end putting a small screen there for the necessities would not have cost much, nor a simple speedometer for example. But it is not their style...

yeah even an analog speedometer would have been preferred in my book

yeah even an analog speedometer would have been preferred in my book

Yep, but Tesla "can't" do it, as they've set a certain standard for themselves artificially. And they can't do a second graphical screen because of cost. And options with a price for such things are not their style either...

Interesting to see how polarizing this will be or not. I'm sure immediate demand will be enough to mask any effect, which probably won't be that big anyway - it will be a more subtle issue, if issue at all. After all, we are still debating the effect of falcon wings to sales, we will debate this as well. :)

I'm guessing it is less polarizing than falcon wings, though... for sure.

I guess I'll have to wait until I can sit in the car to tell if this will work. I have my doubts that a single speed readout in the corner of a very busy screen will work, but that's just me.

I'm sure it will be sufficient.

The question is: Will sufficient not be enough for some. Perhaps, perhaps not.

It is a controversial decision, for sure.

We shall see what the user-interface looks like, that IMO is one of the interesting things about Model 3, because the horizontal form-factor will allow/force Tesla to innovate in software a bit again...

It's pretty easy to add a speedometer that uses GPS if that's really important to everyone. May not look very nice, but I bet someone will come up with an aftermarket HUD with speedometer and stuff that looks good with a Model 3.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
It's pretty easy to add a speedometer that uses GPS if that's really important to everyone. May not look very nice, but I bet someone will come up with an aftermarket HUD with speedometer and stuff that looks good with a Model 3.

people are going to make a Model S style speedo app for their phone based on GPS - but Elon - that's what we want in the car - in that black bar behind the steering wheel. It's not like it all needs to be ventilation!

Elon will try and sell us Biodefense mode - but not a f******* speedometer!

The question is: Will sufficient not be enough for some. Perhaps, perhaps not.

That's not the question at all. It matters not if it's insufficient for some. Insufficient means you simply go buy something else.

It is a controversial decision, for sure.

Pfft. Much ado about nothing. People just love to hold onto what they've known their whole lives rather than venturing out to try new things with an open mind. You don't know, what you don't know. And until we all live with a single screen Model 3 for a while, we've got no idea how sufficient or insufficient it will be. I'm stoked to go with whatever Tesla decides to do with my 3 and give it a go.

Pfft. Much ado about nothing. People just love to hold onto what they've known their whole lives rather than venturing out to try new things with an open mind. You don't know, what you don't know. And until we all live with a single screen Model 3 for a while, we've got no idea how sufficient or insufficient it will be.
Just like folks and their obsession with physical buttons... I couldn't agree with this post more.

You folks. You're so cutting edge that you are anxious to buy a battery car, but you can't conceive of your speedometer being "towards the right." I've used GPS's forever, and use my windshield mounted device's speedometer ABOVE MY EYE LINE, because it tells me what I want to know. Took nearly an hour to get used to it. And my steering wheel is never in my way now. And it tells me the speed limit too. And my distance to my next turn.

At least, as Krugerrand suggests: try it first before hating on it.

I'm stoked to go with whatever Tesla decides to do with my 3 and give it a go.

Here's my biggest question: Is this a design decision based on a thoughtful process that concluded that the elegance and simplicity gained by not having a cluster behind the wheel outweighed the convenience of having that information right in front of you? Or is it crippleware to try to push people towards the S or the X?

No matter what my preconceptions or preferences Pre-medrivemodel3 for the interior are... i have to have some faith that whatever they come up with, it will pass the "common sense" test. People will sit in the car, and go, hmmm, this is actually not bad. cuz all of the testers and engineers and designers will have done the same thing.

so, i just wait, and amuse myself with the complainer posts. hopefully, my faith will be rewarded.