Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are supposedly building a Model 3 on the Model 3 platform.....however.......
Haha yes very true! But clearly the emphasis is making a mass market sedan, not as much on performance and breaking 0-60 times. If they truly wanted max performance, they'd completely change the design to be less passenger-friendly. They are doing the same thing Ford does with their C platform and building a variety of cars on top of the same basic frames and some other basic parts. Model Y is also supposed to be on the 3 platform as well.

well, it did blow up all the tesla forums/websites yesterday, so doesn't look like they are keeping it from customers.
You aren't getting my point at all.

ELON tweeted something on a plane. Tesla didn't release anything. <----- That's my point.

Question: Do you think Tesla execs knew all of this information a week ago? I sure believe they knew this information about "RWD only" a long long time ago. That black RWD release model 3 probably exited automation. In order for that to happen......Tesla had to "design" it that way.

I don't want my point to get lost.

The announcement wasn't an official Tesla announcement. Elon was just tweeting. Tesla obviously knew this already.

Question is: Why would a company keep this kind of information from its customers? What advantage is it to Tesla?

So, Garlan...do you still believe Tesla and EM are the most transparent car company / CEO in automotive history?

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
There is no new Roadster in the roadmap. Elon said he'd love to do it one day, but it's not in the foreseeable future. That was at the Gigafactory event.

Be that as it may, yesterday Elon did tweet that the next-gen Roadster would be quicker than Model S in a few year's time.

Then again, he also tweeted about 8.1 coming out next week... in December 2016. ;)

Don't expect the very first Tesla Model 3s to cost $35,000
"“Our default plan as we have done in the past is that the initial sales are relatively highly optioned versions of the car, because we’ve got to pay back the investment of the tooling and everything, so it makes sense to have the higher optioned versions first. That’s what we did with the S and obviously again with the X.”
No plan survives contact with the enemy. In this case, production complexity is probably the enemy. And there are many, many people waiting (hoping?) to see Tesla fail.
Robin

• Love
So, Garlan...do you still believe Tesla and EM are the most transparent car company / CEO in automotive history?
I'm starting to believe that they are not as transparent as I thought they were.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but......this series of tweets was insulting in my opinion.

Promise of special gift for line waiters.....?
Most optioned model 3's rolling out first....? ( options not available ).

Last edited:
Oh true! I wonder how hard that would be from an engineering perspective. I have no background in battery design, but it seems like usually they prefer to all be part of one "pack".

Just extend the pack upwards for a part. Bolt aready does this (rear of battery is higher) as was Model S battery originally planned to (front frunk "microwave").

• Informative
Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
No plan survives contact with the enemy. In this case, production complexity is probably the enemy. And there are many, many people waiting (hoping?) to see Tesla fail.
So I suppose that among the options available at launch, the higher optioned would be the first sales. Lacking AWD or performance options, I wonder if they really have that much to margin to matter.

I'd only think you wanted to see them fail if you were a competitor or had a short stock position. The "good vs evil" hero/enemy narrative is touted way too much here.

So I suppose that among the options available at launch, the higher optioned would be the first sales. Lacking AWD or performance options, I wonder if they really have that much to margin to matter.

I'd only think you wanted to see them fail if you were a competitor or had a short stock position. The "good vs evil" hero/enemy narrative is touted way too much here.
How many more options are left outside of dual motors and performance options. I can't see there being very many color options....so....

Truthfully....the Model S does not offer that many options.

Be that as it may, yesterday Elon did tweet that the next-gen Roadster would be quicker than Model S in a few year's time.

Then again, he also tweeted about 8.1 coming out next week... in December 2016. ;)
I missed that one, thanks. "A few years away," eh? Yeah, if a week is three months, a few years is.. a couple of decades? I lost my Musktime Abacus in a recent move..

How many more options are left outside of dual motors and performance options. I can't see there being very many color options....so....

Truthfully....the Model S does not offer that many options.
Most options have not yet been announced, but we may be able to guess based on whats currently offered for the S. It'd be some number less for sure. And those that are made available will probably not be comparable to quality in the Model S - for example "premium" alternative seating or the audio setup (less speakers, lower wattage amp for the 3). I'm curious what sacrifices a Model 3 buyer would have to make in potential options and quality compared to say that 3-series which can be highly optioned - bird's eye view cameras, HUD, Harmon Kardon audio, apple carplay, ceramic brakes, interior trims, individual colors, carbon fiber parts, etc. Presumably, the self-driving features and capability between S and 3 would be identical.

I'm starting to believe that they are not as transparent as I thought they were.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but......this series of tweets was insulting in my opinion.

Promise of special gift for line waiters.....?
Most optioned model 3's rolling out first....? ( options not available ).

I wonder what else hasn't been said by Tesla.
It sounds like you've learned that Santa Claus isn't real. :(

Zen, I don't think "Big Oil" is the enemy (though they should be: EV's will depress the barrel price below what it costs them to recover) nor is Tesla the "hero" of this narrative. And Detroit? They're doing their best "deer in the headlights" impression. But there are a surprising number of Americans who hate, hate hate the idea of a future that looks different from the past, who would buy tickets and line up to see Tesla, Musk and electric cars (in no particular order) sink into the San Andreas Fault. Sometimes they park their ICE machines across charging stalls to prove the point. Check out "Rolling Coal" and you will be mystified. I was.
I also read that folks with horses would sometimes hitch them to block the first gasoline pumps just to piss off the noisy, oil-cloud spewing motorists of the day.
Same deal, I expect.
Robin

I'm curious what sacrifices a Model 3 buyer would have to make in potential options and quality compared to say that 3-series which can be highly optioned - bird's eye view cameras, HUD, Harmon Kardon audio, apple carplay, ceramic brakes, interior trims, individual colors, carbon fiber parts, etc. Presumably, the self-driving features and capability between S and 3 would be identical.
I have Android Auto/Apple play on my Escape and the only real benefit (to me at least) is getting to use Google Maps and not having to drop $750 on crappy Ford navigation. I think this is a moot point for a Tesla though, as you will need to use the built-in navigator for self-driving stuff and route planning that includes the supercharger stops automatically. Just my two cents on that option! My guess is that the priciest options will be 1)70-75kwh 2)FSD package 3) premium interior materials 4) premium sound. Maybe $20k?