Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Zen, I don't think "Big Oil" is the enemy (though they should be: EV's will depress the barrel price below what it costs them to recover) nor is Tesla the "hero" of this narrative. And Detroit? They're doing their best "deer in the headlights" impression. But there are a surprising number of Americans who hate, hate hate the idea of a future that looks different from the past, who would buy tickets and line up to see Tesla, Musk and electric cars (in no particular order) sink into the San Andreas Fault. Sometimes they park their ICE machines across charging stalls to prove the point. Check out "Rolling Coal" and you will be mystified. I was.
I also read that folks with horses would sometimes hitch them to block the first gasoline pumps just to piss off the noisy, oil-cloud spewing motorists of the day.
Same deal, I expect.
Robin
These days, it's trivial to inflate the promenence of rare social behavior by simply sensationalizing it and thus making it newsworthy. Such news item's importance is usually proportional to an individual's or group's unconscious projections. As far as EVs, the writing is already on the wall, and naysayers or change fearers will have decreasing ammunition as the tech slowly improves to subsume legacy ICE capabilties.

I just remember Elon saying that He had a goal to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible.

The public has hit the ball back over the net and responded with their money and said....We are behind you...lets go....

We're waiting........

The middle class is waiting.

Reactions: RubberToe
That's insulting.

Everyone - Pile on.
Pile on? Can we?

6 months ago you and @Red Sage machine-gunned the forums with 100 posts/day about how the Model 3 would have 2s Ludicrous Mode , 100kWh batteries, and charging that would be "free for the LIFE (of the vehicle)", that there would be no Model S Osbourne-effect, and characterizing anyone who disagreed as lifetime members of the League of Lowered Expectations.

And where are we now?

Well it turns out that Elon is now the President and CEO of the League of Lowered Expectations because that's exactly what his tweetstorm was about.

The Model 3 "hype" is primarily from speculation and rumors by people who do not work from Tesla.
So calling the controls like driving a spaceship isn't hype?
Since I haven't seen the Model 3 controls Elon referred to -- and I doubt anyone outside of Tesla has seen them -- I can't pass judgement as to whether his statement is hype or not. It was pretty vague and challenging to interpret. I do feel that sometimes Elon gets carried away with promising things that don't get delivered anywhere near the timeframe he describes. And he has acknowledged that failing many times in the past few years.

Pile on? Can we?

6 months ago you and @Red Sage machine-gunned the forums with 100 posts/day about how the Model 3 would have 2s Ludicrous Mode , 100kWh batteries, and charging that would be "free for the LIFE (of the vehicle)", that there would be no Model S Osbourne-effect, and characterizing anyone who disagreed as lifetime members of the League of Lowered Expectations.

And where are we now?

Well it turns out that Elon is now the President and CEO of the League of Lowered Expectations because that's exactly what his tweetstorm was about.
You totally misunderstood my position. Pile on if you want, but not with alternative facts.

He - Elon has changed what he said. Elon stated that the Model 3 would have everything we listed....and now..... HE changed it. That's what this string is all about.

Look at @ecarfan post right above this one. He states the same thing.

I was also talking about the Model 3 not having HUD because its too expensive for a $35K car and I got all but cursed out....and now where are we?

Last edited:
You two have some amazing sources inside Tesla to know about a new Tesla model that isn't even in Elon's Secret Master Plan Part Deux and that, as @ohman pointed out, Elon has said he would like to build but hasn't said when he will get around to it. Bottom line: we know absolutely nothing about what the next Roadster will be capable of or when it will be offered for sale.
The next Roadster is said to be quicker than the Model S, either they will put in more batteries than a Model 3 or make it much lighter. Somehow they expect to manage that
Aren't they supposedly building next roadster on Model 3 platform?

Tesla (or EM) has no obligation to give out any details prior to the final release. Or if they choose to revise how they plan to rollout production, they do not need to make that information public. (the disputed comment on highly optioned cars first, was made as part of the financial call Q&A, right? not part of the official recorded investor documents?)
A $1000 got everyone a ticket to order a car at some point when Tesla wants you to. That is as much accountability they have to any of us right now. So everyone needs to relax and go watch the 6 second video again and remember we are expecting a pretty awesome car and even at that, it's just a thing and not something to get so worked up about (like Santa Clause).

You two have some amazing sources inside Tesla to know about a new Tesla model that isn't even in Elon's Secret Master Plan Part Deux and that, as @ohman pointed out, Elon has said he would like to build but hasn't said when he will get around to it. Bottom line: we know absolutely nothing about what the next Roadster will be capable of or when it will be offered for sale.
Speculation based on rumors in the Model 3 forum? Oh gee i hope we don't get banned...

Tesla (or EM) has no obligation to give out any details prior to the final release. Or if they choose to revise how they plan to rollout production, they do not need to make that information public. (the disputed comment on highly optioned cars first, was made as part of the financial call Q&A, right? not part of the official recorded investor documents?)
A $1000 got everyone a ticket to order a car at some point when Tesla wants you to. That is as much accountability they have to any of us right now. So everyone needs to relax and go watch the 6 second video again and remember we are expecting a pretty awesome car and even at that, it's just a thing and not something to get so worked up about (like Santa Clause).
You have things that are important to you and others have things that are important to them. That's how it should be.

I'm glad sustainable transport was important to ELON. And that the French were so interested fried potatoes.

Elon has changed what he said. Elon stated that the Model 3 would have everything we listed....and now..... HE changed it. That's what this string is all about.

Look at @ecarfan post right above this one. He states the same thing.
Hmm...not sure what you are saying I said in my post about whether or not the "spaceship" controls were hype or not, since we don't know what the heck they are.

But I want to point out that -- if I understand your post correctly, and I may not -- that Elon didn't take any features away from the Model 3 this week, he postponed some of them until next year. And he neither confirmed nor denied a HUD in the Model 3, only saying that it will have a single display, not two displays.

As @milindav pointed out, Tesla is of course free to change features and specifications and delivery timeframes of the Model 3 at any time before someone finalizes their order. And at this point no one outside of Tesla is anywhere close to doing that, and probably no one inside Tesla has either.

But please, don't let that stop anyone from venting their displeasure at changed expectations. In my opinion the Model 3 is going to be a massive success because there is clearly huge pent-up demand for a $35K 200+ mile EV that comfortably seats 5, goes 0-60 in under 6 seconds, can charge far faster than any other production EV, has a huge charging network available to it, has the option of the best self-driving system available from any car manufacturer, and looks gorgeous. That is all it needs to be a success.

Performance version, Dual Motors, the mysterious "spaceship" controls will arrive in due time and all this drama will be long forgotten...

• Love
Reactions: Lem89 and davidc18
Sounds like it will be the fastest Tesla ever in 3 or 4 years. Unless Elon is not to be believed. ;)
upload_2017-3-25_20-26-14.png

Don't expect the very first Tesla Model 3s to cost $35,000
"“Our default plan as we have done in the past is that the initial sales are relatively highly optioned versions of the car, because we’ve got to pay back the investment of the tooling and everything, so it makes sense to have the higher optioned versions first. That’s what we did with the S and obviously again with the X.”
Right, and this could still be true! I got a 2012 with everything, and got it months before people with lower Rez numbers but fewer options or smaller battery. Just because they are not doing P or D right away doesn't mean they won't start with highly optioned cars!

Reactions: lukex4
Dual Motor Model 3 reservationists can kiss the Fed tax credit goodbye.

Now that might be a good thing as those who may not have the money for the dual motor might be the ones who get the biggest break. That's not the standard US way of doing things. Usually the people who have the most money get the biggest breaks.

And he neither confirmed nor denied a HUD in the Model 3, only saying that it will have a single display, not two displays.
Seems pretty straightforward from his reply to that very question:
@arctechinc: "so does this mean no heads up display in the Model 3? How will Tesla handle speedometer and Instrument Cluster information?"
@elonmusk: "The more autonomous a car is, the less dash info you need. How often do you look at the instrument panel when being driven in a taxi?"

Musk is focusing hard on driver disengagement, to what expense? I personally like driving.

I agree that Elon Musk's Twitter feed is not a very trustworthy source, though I am surprised to hear you agree! I guess our understanding of Elon's hyperbole has evolved. So we will place this info in the place it deserves...

"Yes. Model S will always be the fastest Tesla until next gen Roadster, which is a few years away."

Twitter

Reactions: boaterva
Seems pretty straightforward from his reply to that very question:
@arctechinc: "so does this mean no heads up display in the Model 3? How will Tesla handle speedometer and Instrument Cluster information?"
@elonmusk: "The more autonomous a car is, the less dash info you need. How often do you look at the instrument panel when being driven in a taxi?"

Musk is focusing hard on driver disengagement, to what expense? I personally like driving.

To sell more Model S's in Q2. I thought that much was obvious.