Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's going to be just like sitting in a space taxi.
5f4c662ce7d08d6d383cd4213a5fde9b.jpg

Maybe Elon doesn't want to kill sales of the Model S before the Model 3 is available. Anyway it's the drivetrain that sells the car not the HUD or the touchscreen. I think it's mostly only the nerds on here that really care about a HUD. Most people don't want video game graphics going on in their view through the windshield.

You have no data to back up your assertion on what most people don't want.

If he meant AP2, what do you think is a more apropriate word other than 'spaceship' (and 'taxi')?

He said it will 'feel' like a spaceship. In other words you would have a futuristic feeling while sitting in your drivers seat.

Of course he couldn't say 'taxi' or use some other wording that would spill the news ahead of october...

If he meant AP2, what do you think is a more apropriate word other than 'spaceship' (and 'taxi')?

He said it will 'feel' like a spaceship. In other words you would have a futuristic feeling while sitting in your drivers seat.

Of course he couldn't say 'taxi' or use some other wording that would spill the news ahead of october...

I probably wouldn't have referred to "real steering controls and system" at all. And the spaceship connection I have a hard time making. I don't think anyone thinks spaceships are self-driving (even though much of the time they are). What the word spaceship evokes is the idea of futuristic controls and visuals around you IMO.

Next year the 3 will be available with Dual Motor and/or Performance and who knows what other new features. But for now, the 3 will launch this year with enough capability that I believe it will clearly be the best EV choice in its price range, and it will be a success. Except with the "I want a HUD!" crowd.

I'm thinking this is an opportunity to get a low-mileage basic Model 3 in 2018, when people decide to upgrade.

So your theory is that the whole spaceship concept is wrapped up in AP/autonomous driving? Perhaps, and I see your point on the timing. But I sure didn't connect those dots when AP2 hardware and 'all cars will have level 5' was announced in October.

We are years away from Tesla saying that it is cool to sit back and relax in the driver seat. At the start of autonomous driving, it is likely more important to know what the car is doing. Does autopilot see the lanes, does it see a car ahead, how much attention should I provide?

If Tesla was to say that you could 100% trust their cars to drive themselves next year; Cool. But, they would never do that. As long as the responsibility for safe driving is on the driver, the capability of safe driving should be available to the driver.

Now that we have all been sufficiently disappointed about the Model 3 and can go back to our plans of buying high-premium Model S's and X's, there is still one potential new consumer facing feature in the Model 3 to discuss...

The user-interface. Will it retain a horizontal screen (perhaps it must to keep the speedo in line sight?) and if so, how will the new UI work compared to the Model S/X?

Or will the final version just feature a smaller vertical display?

Now that we have all been sufficiently disappointed about the Model 3 and can go back to our plans of buying high-premium Model S's and X's, there is still one potential new consumer facing feature in the Model 3 to discuss...

The user-interface. Will it retain a horizontal screen (perhaps it must to keep the speedo in line sight?) and if so, how will the new UI work compared to the Model S/X?

Or will the final version just feature a smaller vertical display?
I believe someone said (one of the demo drivers?) that the horizontal orientation was the final story.

But you raise a good point: Will 8.1 (say) be the same software code path for all three (and more) car lines? If we/they have to keep up with more than one version of the software, I don't want to even think about it...

What I fear at this point, however, is that the car will be too bland and will not be able to compete with other ICE cars in similar price/performance ranges.

Wake us up when the Chevy B/Volt, VW, and/or Leaf has autonomous driving, decent styling and a supercharger network. Your fears are assuaged.

Bolt is not getting any better (let alone the other current competitors), but this announcement does make Model 3 relatively worse. Lack of AWD, Performance models for a year and the more hatchbacky Model Y a few year away, it does leave a little more breathing room for the likes of Bolt, that has decent cargo capacity and a bit more comparable drivetrain with the way Model 3 launches (though of course for prestige Tesla will come out with a larger battery version).

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne

What I fear at this point, however, is that the car will be too bland and will not be able to compete with other ICE cars in similar price/performance ranges.

Wake us up when the Chevy B/Volt, VW, and/or Leaf has autonomous driving, decent styling and a supercharger network. Your fears are assuaged.

The Bolt has shown about the same autonomous driving capabilities, styling is a preference, and the supercharger network is yet to be proven viable in the mass market.

These are fairly low barriers to entry. The big question still remains; will the Model 3 compete with ICE cars in a similar price/performance bracket?

Bolt is not getting any better (let alone the other current competitors), but this announcement does make Model 3 relatively worse. Lack of AWD, Performance models for a year and the more hatchbacky Model Y a few year away, it does leave a little more breathing room for the likes of Bolt, that has decent cargo capacity and a bit more comparable drivetrain with the way Model 3 launches (though of course for prestige Tesla will come out with a larger battery version).

I missed that - no AWD or P models at the launch?

While not the news we all want, it's just like the release of the S. Even if 50% of the reservations cancel (temporarily) that's still 200K cars that are simple to produce, and to produce quickly.

When demand weakens, add AWD, add HUD, add P and Ludicrous.

Heck my P85 is so old it doesn't even have parking sensors, much less AP or anything else. It's still one hell of a car and smokes anything else not a Tesla.

Reactions: WarpedOne
"Taxi" does not equal "spaceship." The original Mercury astronauts rebelled when the engineers left out capsule attitude controls. They called themselves "Spam in a can", which might also describe a passenger in an autonomous car.
All the original US astronauts were military pilots. Their self-image was they were hot shot fighter jocks. Of course they wanted controls.

They are not comparable to your average driver today who just wants to get from A to B and often wants to do it while texting or doing something else on their smartphone.

That is the future of "driving".