Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me paraphrase Musk's recent tweets:

Here is a video of the model 3. You don't want this POS. Buy the model S! If you must have the model 3, it will be basic. It will be delivered in a tent.

The man has changed since he sat down with Trump :)
I thought it was just me i got the same impression reading them, ugh I'm somewhat disappointed, where did the space ship controls go? :(

I think Elon is trying to bring some people back to earth regarding what the Model 3 will offer this year. It won't have Dual Motor, Performance, a single screen or any fancy features at launch. It will have what was stated at the March 2016 reveal.

The focus is on starting production on the target date of July 2017 and then a rapid production ramp up, enabling Tesla to work through the reservation order backlog, get a lot of cars out on the streets, generate a lot of revenue and favorable publicity, positive reviews, and that will generate more orders.

Yes, some people will cancel their 3 reservations because they had unrealistic expectations about the car. Some of those people may buy a new S or a CPO S instead. Others will just be pissed that the 3 isn't what the imagined it to be and not buy any Tesla.

Next year the 3 will be available with Dual Motor and/or Performance and who knows what other new features. But for now, the 3 will launch this year with enough capability that I believe it will clearly be the best EV choice in its price range, and it will be a success. Except with the "I want a HUD!" crowd.

If you don't care about Autopilot you would be much better off with a CPO Model S. I think that will be my route for the next few years.

I hate to say it but today is just depressing. We are getting a nice looking Chevy Bolt with Autopilot and fast charging for some people.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher and cdub
If you don't care about Autopilot you would be much better off with a CPO Model S. I think that will be my route for the next few years.

I hate to say it but today is just depressing. We are getting a nice looking Chevy Bolt with Autopilot and fast charging for some people.
What exactly were you expecting?

We are getting a nice looking Chevy Bolt with Autopilot and fast charging for some people.

What did you think you were getting for $35K?

If you don't care about Autopilot you would be much better off with a CPO Model S.

By the time the M3 ships in volume, AP2 will probably be a superset of AP1. Almost everyone who bothers posting on a Tesla forum will really really want that.

Reactions: cdub
OK ok, I don't want to get into the "will it, won't it" any why it will/won't argument about the HUD, but can we have some discussion about how the driving experience will be if there is no HUD and no binnacle?

I'd like to think about in regards to some specific situations (and I don't own an S/X so I'm just going off videos I've seen)

1) AP1/AP2/TACC - Right now on an S/X a lot of situational info seems to happen in the binnacle. Who's in your blind spot, what cars are around you, whether the AP is reading the lane markers OK. With just one screen this info would need to be displayed on the center screen. Is this practical? Would it be to distracting to safely display this sort of situational data to the center and down on the panel?

2) Parking, and other low speed maneuvers - S/X can sense how close you are to stuff to help you with backing up, parking, etc. Is this all fine to have on the center screen?

3) Regulatory issues - At this stage with pre-production vehicles happening does that mean that all various gov safety and other regulatory tests have happened? Essentially I'm wondering if all info it just on the center screen and that's it has the government said that's fine to drive and sell cars with this type of configuration?

Early on during the reveal of of the engineers said the speed would show up in the upper left of the panel, And let's say that's fine; but there are a lot of other things that will display and I'm curious how that will affect the driving experience if it is the only source of info in the car. Thoughts?

Rather direct downplaying of Model 3.

I think this means one or two things:

1) Tesla is starting be aware of the Osbourning effect their constant product changes are generating.

2) Tesla may have made a decision to launch Model 3 with as few new things as possible to avoid delays.

Of course the wording could fit new features added to Model S/X before Model 3 ships, but the rather direct dismissal of HUD and other consumer facing features certainly could be read as no such changes are coming.

Tesla has said they would not delay Model 3 for any new things that might miss it. We may have gotten our answer that the spaceship controls missed it.

One thing is certain: Tesla worries about their Q2 sales and Model 3 hurting Model S/X sales.

I think Elon is trying to bring some people back to earth regarding what the Model 3 will offer this year. It won't have Dual Motor, Performance, a single screen or any fancy features at launch. It will have what was stated at the March 2016 reveal.
Where do you get this part from? That's the only thing he/they have said all along. (Ignoring the 'spaceship' comment.... )
This morning in one of Elon's many Model 3-related tweets he stated that the car would only have one display, meaning a single screen. Specifically, in response to a question from Fred Lambert about how the Model 3 will be able to do autonomous driving without a driver side display, Elon said "Still has one display".

Unless you want to interpret "one display" some other way than a single screen.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18