Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already do that in a Prius, but the information is actually back in the dashboard, unlike the Model 3 where it's much further forward on that awkward monitor and much more peripheral as a result.

I've driven a prius with the center speedometer and it was annoying. It's annoying in my GF's saturn too. Honestly the "all you need is this ipad in the center" strategy might be the dealbreaker for me.

Yeah, not sure how this jives with the "spaceship controls" that he mentioned previously... Where are those? I was hoping that "no new tech" meant the S/X could still get the HUD first.
In regards to the interior, i think it's a very valid concern. A barren, non-premium interior, awkward interior might not sell well in this segment.

Maybe Elon doesn't want to kill sales of the Model S before the Model 3 is available. Anyway it's the drivetrain that sells the car not the HUD or the touchscreen. I think it's mostly only the nerds on here that really care about a HUD. Most people don't want video game graphics going on in their view through the windshield.

Agreed, I find HUD annoying, I always turn it off in cars that have it. One screen will be enough as long as it is positioned properly.

I think this is a ploy to not hurt demand on s/x. He says no new tech compared to model s/x, but that doesn't necessary mean nothing new compared to today, just nothing new compared to s/x at time of model 3 delivery. It is very possible that there would be updates (new tech) in q2 for model s/x that would be in model 3 delivered in q3.

Reactions: N5329K
If they just do this everyone can have their way...
9c998847e739d85b31337cb7a3e4d701.jpg

One screen will be enough as long as it is positioned properly.

• Funny
Reactions: zenmaster
If they just do this everyone can have their way...
9c998847e739d85b31337cb7a3e4d701.jpg

I was thinking that too... but if it's a screen the passenger would use to change infotainment, etc, it would be a sketchy design that passenger could reposition the only screen driver gets data from. Perhaps if it only had two positions... center and turned to driver, it could work.

I think the expectation from people who reserved Model 3 were unrealistic for the most part. Model 3 is in the same category as BMW 3 series, and all tech cost extra in this segment, you usually get a bare bone car, in
most cases without navigation and rear view camera, but you get a good driving dynamic, that's what you're paying for.
You at least have the ability to option these tech features. You kind of overlooked that little detail.

...I hate to say it but today is just depressing. We are getting a nice looking Chevy Bolt with Autopilot and fast charging for some people.

A nicer looking exterior that is, from what has been seen of the interiors so far, IMO, the Bolt is more attractive than the M3.

To be honest the M3 dashwell, for some disturbing reason, somewhat reminds me of the old AMC Pacer dashwell.. Not a great memory.

Last edited:
I still believe a HUD is likely. Here's why:

1-Tesla is clearly on a Model S sales push right now. Discontinuing the 60 S mid April. Therefore Musk isn't gonna say anything that risks Osborning S sales.

2 - Don't forget Tesla's big hires from Microsoft's hololens project and also that augmented reality motorcycle helmet.

3 - I still think the spaceship comment's most meant more than just autonomous driving and a widescreen.

4 - They're holding off the final reveal until the last possible moment.

5 - HUD's are not even expensive and the Model 3 will be pushing north of $50K in most configurations.

6 - The low dash design.

7 - He hasn't actually come out and literally said "No HUD" despite the fact he knows everyone is wondering. If he wanted to completely quash it he'd just say "no HUD."

It's always possible HUD could be another pay-for-unlock software option.

You have an interesting point(s)

I still believe a HUD is likely. Here's why:

1-Tesla is clearly on a Model S sales push right now. Discontinuing the 60 S mid April. Therefore Musk isn't gonna say anything that risks Osborning S sales.

2 - Don't forget Tesla's big hires from Microsoft's hololens project and also that augmented reality motorcycle helmet.

3 - I still think the spaceship comment's most meant more than just autonomous driving and a widescreen.

4 - They're holding off the final reveal until the last possible moment.

5 - HUD's are not even expensive and the Model 3 will be pushing north of $50K in most configurations.

6 - The low dash design.

7 - He hasn't actually come out and literally said "No HUD" despite the fact he knows everyone is wondering. If he wanted to completely quash it he'd just say "no HUD."

It's always possible HUD could be another pay-for-unlock software option.

Probably more because they aren't ready to release it on the s/x yet and like Elon said they would receive the more advanced features first.

Yep -- I think a HUD was/is clearly in the plans, as Elon's original tweets about the spaceship interior suggest and the Microsoft hirings likely confirm.

The question is, did they jettison it in favor of an accelerated ramp?

Reactions: calisnow